Solved Alphabet support on Remote/Numeric keypad
On most remote controls (and telephones), the number keys also double up as letters.

So using the numbers you can also type words, and this would be useful for searching, or fast jumping up/down lists.

The standard numbers/letter combinations are:

1 - n/a
2 - abc
3 - def
4 - ghi
5 - jkl
6 - mno
7 - pqrs
8 - tuv
9 - wxyz

So using these keys, you could, for example type 'kodi' by pressing 556663444

This is commonly in use all over the place yet Kodi does not support it.. Please could you consider adding this feature.

Jon
http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Use_SMS-sty...or_remotes
Awesome... Cheers
(2015-08-27, 22:29)jweaver Wrote: This is commonly in use all over the place yet Kodi does not support it.. Please could you consider adding this feature.

As far as I know this has been supported for several years already and is enabled by default on MCE remotes like this one:

(2015-08-28, 08:41)Kib Wrote:
(2015-08-27, 22:29)jweaver Wrote: This is commonly in use all over the place yet Kodi does not support it.. Please could you consider adding this feature.

As far as I know this has been supported for several years already and is enabled by default on MCE remotes like this one:

I am using a Logitech Harmony and Flirc which just emulates a keyboard, so I am hopeful that this will work.. BUT.. I read through the Wiki and am not convinced that my request was misunderstood.

If I go into my movies, I have a list of 1000 titles.

If I wanted to jump down to "Star Wars" for example, I would like to be able to type 7777 and have the list jump down to "S"

Better still, it would be nice to type 77778, and go to ST, and bascially type this way.

I am not talking about "Searching".. I am talking about "jumping" down a list to a given point.

Jon
It's there, in provided xml the action you want is JumpSMS however I think it only jumps to the first title beginning with that letter, so 7777 would jump to S first title beginning with S.
(2015-08-28, 15:45)jjd-uk Wrote: It's there, in provided xml the action you want is JumpSMS however I think it only jumps to the first title beginning with that letter, so 7777 would jump to S first title beginning with S.

That would work.. Would be nice to 'drill' a bit deeper.. But not a big deal.. Just being able to jump down the list would be awesome.. Will test tonight!
(2015-08-28, 16:01)jweaver Wrote:
(2015-08-28, 15:45)jjd-uk Wrote: It's there, in provided xml the action you want is JumpSMS however I think it only jumps to the first title beginning with that letter, so 7777 would jump to S first title beginning with S.

That would work.. Would be nice to 'drill' a bit deeper.. But not a big deal.. Just being able to jump down the list would be awesome.. Will test tonight!

For that you can use FilterSMS. Both JumpSMS and FilterSMS are mentioned on the wiki, btw ;)
(2015-08-28, 17:23)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2015-08-28, 16:01)jweaver Wrote:

For that you can use FilterSMS. Both JumpSMS and FilterSMS are mentioned on the wiki, btw Wink

Starting to make sense.. THe Wiki page isn't complete, but does this mean that to use Filter over Jump you change

<keyboard>
<zero>Number0</zero>
<one>JumpSMS1</one>
<two>JumpSMS2</two>
<three>JumpSMS3</three>
<four>JumpSMS4</four>
<five>JumpSMS5</five>
<six>JumpSMS6</six>
<seven>JumpSMS7</seven>
<eight>JumpSMS8</eight>
<nine>JumpSMS9</nine>
<escape>Back</escape>

to

<keyboard>
<zero>Number0</zero>
<one>FilterSMS1</one>
<two>FilterSMS2</two>
<three>FilterSMS3</three>
<four>FilterSMS4</four>
<five>FilterSMS5</five>
<six>FilterSMS6</six>
<seven>FilterSMS7</seven>
<eight>FilterSMS8</eight>
<nine>FilterSMS9</nine>
<escape>Back</escape>
yes
Tested tonight.. Dont lile the "FilterSMS" functionality, but the "Jump" is exactly what i wanted.....

Thanks for taking the time to point me in the right direction... Cheers.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Alphabet support on Remote/Numeric keypad0