Linux Visualizations not working, music playback stuttering but not video audio, pulseaudio
I am running XBMC 12.0 on Gentoo Linux. Every visualization behaves like there is no audio playback.

What would be the best approach to debug this issue and how can I fix it?

Furthermore the music playback is stuttering. I get "PulseAudio: Stream underflow" errors.
(2013-03-03, 18:18)Flow_ Wrote: Every visualization behaves like there is no audio playback.
Please explain what you mean in more detail.

Quote:What would be the best approach to debug this issue and how can I fix it?
Upload a debug log (wiki) to www.xbmclogs.com that shows music playback with visualization. Post the assigned URL for your uploaded log here.
(2013-03-03, 20:43)artrafael Wrote:
(2013-03-03, 18:18)Flow_ Wrote: Every visualization behaves like there is no audio playback.
Please explain what you mean in more detail.
It means that no visualization shows any activity when music is playing. No bars moving, no reaction at all. Just as if there is no music.

(2013-03-03, 20:43)artrafael Wrote:
(2013-03-03, 18:18)Flow_ Wrote: What would be the best approach to debug this issue and how can I fix it?
Upload a debug log (wiki) to www.xbmclogs.com that shows music playback with visualization. Post the assigned URL for your uploaded log here.
Done: http://www.xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=2197

There is also an error "PulseAudio: Stream underflow". Not sure if it's related. I am using Linux with pulseaudio and HDMI passthrough. The person here describes the same problem: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=157095

Thanks for your reply artrafael Smile
(2013-03-03, 18:18)Flow_ Wrote: Furthermore the music playback is stuttering. I get "PulseAudio: Stream underflow" errors.

Ok, I solved this by adding the 'tsched=0' option to pulseaudio's default.pa.
References of 'tsched' wrt to pulseaudio:
- http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software...-alsa-sink
- http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/G...gency_Plan
- https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pul..._crackling
Confirmed.
Running 13.0-Alpha1 on Ubuntu 12.4 (3.2.0-39-generic #62) on three different hw-audio-platforms (nvidia, sony, xyz-third (ion-zotac-board) ;-) )
Visualizations not working - i.e. running but not responding to anything.
Visualizations work when running XBMC via init script - but no sound ;-).
Interesting: When running projectM standalone - any source, only the start screen seems to respond - after that: dead.
This appears so be pulseaudio-related - it affects _all_ visualizations including running projectM _outside_ XBMC.
So, is there a fix that won't break my sound control available yet? Blush
I have the exact same problem here. I'm listening to music but XBMC acts like there is no playback. Visualization is shown but its inactive like it doesn't get any input. Also the gui sounds in the menu are played like when there is no playback. In addition and the worst part about it is that the xbmc process is running at 100% CPU. This is crazy because playing movies in 1080p is around 30% CPU usage.

I'm using an external DAC that is connected to my HTPC using optical spdif. I need to use pulseaudio because plain ALSA gives me popping noises on bootup as well as starting and stopping playback.

My current version of xbmc is 12.2 and pulseaudio is version 3.0. Im happy to provide additional information when needed.
*bump*

Apparently, I can still confirm the issue since I just ran into it - hadn't tried the visualizations before.

Flow_'s debug log is now gone, I guess its lifetime was over - so I've just submitted a new one: http://www.xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=39182

I couldn't find a clue in there though. The only small hints I could get are from cpluff:
14:23:51 T:3037827868544 DEBUG: ADDON: cpluff: 'Not all directories were successfully scanned.'
Maybe one plugin that would be needed for visualization could not be read due to permissions or something. How can I find out more?

The only "ERROR" message didn't really tell me anything:
14:23:51 T:3037827868544 ERROR: GLX: Same window as before, refreshing context

Later on, cpluff gave some messages like this one:
14:25:06 T:3037827868544 INFO: ADDON: cpluff: 'An unreleased information object was encountered at address 0x4ffb1c0 with reference count 1 when destroying the associated plug-in context. Not releasing the object.'
Though I'm not sure whether that's related to the issue. There are also some WARNING messages on the window manager, which again shouldn't be the cause - just my humble thoughts. Smile

What I could actually discover is that libmad is being used (to parse mp3 like gstreamer does I guess):
14:24:04 T:3037827868544 DEBUG: SECTION:LoadDLL(libmad.so.0)
14:24:04 T:3037827868544 DEBUG: Loading: libmad.so.0
I don't see any errors there though. Music playback works as intended anyway. ^^

I tried another format then (ogg), but it made no difference. Sad

Short info on my build:
media-tv/xbmc-12.2-r1 was built with the following:
USE="X alsa bluetooth goom opengl projectm pulseaudio rsxs samba sdl sse sse2 udev usb xrandr -airplay (-altivec) -avahi -bluray -caps -cec -css -debug -gles -java -joystick -midi -mysql (-neon) -nfs -profile -pvr -rtmp -sftp -upnp -vaapi -vdpau -webserver" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python2_7 -python2_6" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 -python2_6"

Please let me know how I can further contribute! =)

Cheers!
Visualization is not implemented for PA.
Any plans to support visualization with PA? Is there a issue report on trac I can follow? If not, should I create one? Does an workaround exists to get visualization working with PA? What are the perquisites for visualization?
I have posted a feature request in the appropriate forum: [Feature Request] Visualization support with PulseAudio

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Visualizations not working, music playback stuttering but not video audio, pulseaudio1