Win Music Video Help
Hi, posted in this thread a couple of years ago and ultimately gave up. I love my media center though and these really need to be on it! My early experience in my re-attempt have been moderately better. But not without it's quirks. Things for people considering adding music videos to their setup to consider:

Even though you are scraping a music video, it is getting the info from the the corresponding album release. All of my successfully added videos have a 700x700 album art with it. That's all though, even thumbs of the video are scarce. I think the above post about having the actual albums scraped in Music library (and the artist artwork associated with them) will help fill in the gaps... backgrounds, artist bio.

Unfortunately, the MV scraper is nothing like other scrapers where it brings up a nice list of close matches to choose from. You have to have the exact name as it's stored at theadiodb.com (TADB). Actually, you can name the file anything you want then go to files view in kodi and re-scrape the video manually entering the correct name. But this is tedious when you have 100's of videos, so just go with flow and retain the "Artist - Song Title" format.

As a side note, you can name the folder you put each video in anything you like. For me I simply add a [YEAR] tag at the end so this is the structure:

..\3 Doors Down - Landing In London [2005]\3 Doors Down - Landing In London.mp4

Feel free to add [720p], or (ROCK)... whatever you like as the scraper only uses the file name.

And yes! Have your videos in separate folders. There are people with all videos in 1 folder that are happy with their setup. However, in the interest of not having to go through the entire process again say something should happen to your install/system, I prefer to **export my library to separate files and have all the info available for local re-scraping at any time.

**This will export entire library including Movies and TV so if you don't want those files physically added to their locations, don't do it.

You're not out of the woods yet. Ultimately you will have files that don't scrape properly. I read about an issue with the "apostrophe" which can sort of be confirmed by going to TADB and searching for a song title with an ' and look at the results page. It will say for instance:

Search Results for 'Baby Don\'t Cry (Keep Ya Head Up II)'

This particular 2pac song scraped fine so I am not sure if it's a real problem anymore, but I thought I'd share it for anyone trying to manually scrape their vids. This brings me to my first stumbling block which interestingly contains an apostrophe:

"4 Non Blondes - What's Up?"

I am suspecting the "question mark" is the culprit but I have tried to manually type in every permutation (including with and without the above \' method) possible and I can not get the video to scrape correctly. I can go the above stated route and manually create an .nfo so kodi will see it. But this won't help other people and their multitude of similar type vids so if anyone has any insight, please share so we can figure this out!

I will report more as I tinker... In the meantime, I encourage all music enthusiasts to join TADB and help add music video links from youtube and song information (usually from wiki).
I think that music videos are a bit of a poor cousin to movies and TV shows.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
All my Music Video problems went away, by me creating individual .NFO files for every song (as well as artwork). This has taken months, as I have over 4,000 Music Videos (and growing). Once done, this looks awesome in Kodi, and works very easy for the rest of the family.

There are talks to add a Music Video Scraper to MediaElch (since it already does Music scraping), and I believe there is another person working on a Music Scraper that also does Music Videos (but it hasn't be released yet).
(2015-06-23, 17:08)Powerhouse Wrote: All my Music Video problems went away, by me creating individual .NFO files for every song (as well as artwork). This has taken months, as I have over 4,000 Music Videos (and growing). Once done, this looks awesome in Kodi, and works very easy for the rest of the family.

There are talks to add a Music Video Scraper to MediaElch (since it already does Music scraping), and I believe there is another person working on a Music Scraper that also does Music Videos (but it hasn't be released yet).

First, congrats on your setup. As a person who's messed with these things, I can appreciate all the work this must have been. But it's a band-aid fix. It doesn't help the multitude of other users who probably have some of those same 4000+ videos. Currently each user is stumbling through it, manually doing the same tasks.

I too use MediaElch for Movies and TV but it's just a nice interface to choose from the the multitude of artworks available for that media. All these tasks are still accomplish-able within kodi itself. I have yet to find a Movie or TV Show that didn't scrape properly due to a character in the title! Music Videos should be just as easy... only then, will an external program like MediaElch be truly valuable. First we must unify the database and the api.
I think there is a problem in that there is a number of different video media that could be termed "music video":

- concerts that include multiple songs (often treated like a "movie")
- "official" music video released by artist/label
- "performance" music video, live or in studio
- "unofficial" fancams, bootlegs, covers, etc

scott s.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Music Video Help0