DVBlast as backend with XBMC.
Hi everyone.

Amazing job I must say. My first post and I hate it to be a question. I have searched the whole world over for over a month trying to find an answer to this question but I haven't found it. Perhaps I need to better my search skills but please pardon me if this has already been dealt with.

I stumbled upon Angry Technician's website a few months ago on how to multicast freeview channels unto a LAN. I decided to help a friend do this at their school over their LAN. I followed his instructions and I got it all working using TechnoTrend Tuner cards I had lying somewhere in some dead equipment I had been keeping for years. I used DVBlast as backend on a Dell PC running Ubuntu 12.10. I prepared a Channels .conf file and using udp multicast, the channels are streamed unto the network.(IGMP configured on LAN switch) I use minisapserver to announce the streams to the network and the channels are being viewed using VLC client. Further with upstart configuration, I make it all run with anyone attending to it. All is well.

Except now I want to take it to another level using XBMC as the frontend. No matter what I do, I can't figure it out. I am sorry I am not a programmer and I guess that is why I am being held back. However what I am is someone with ability to follow steps and research where necessary so I will really appreciate if anyone can help me in any way with these questions.

1. Does XBMC need a common backend, frontend architecture to display channels streamed into network?
2. Does XBMC work with udp multicast streams and how do I make the frontend see the streams coming through?
3. I want to stick with udp multicast streaming using primarily DVBlast as the backend because it works, what supporting front ends can I use? Can I use XMBC with any PVR addon to tune to the channels and watch?
4. If this is possible, has it been documented anywhere? Even if just a raw process, with a little more help, I will work hard and try to make it work.

There are about 50 different computers in different classes/hallways/offices so it is essential that I use multicast. Any help will do. Thanks.
Been a while since I used udp streaming with XBMC, but there was support for it so you should be able to get something working.

I haven't tried sap support for a long time, but I do believe it was ported - in theory, you should be able to add a video source using sap://yoursapannouncer and it should bring up your channel list.

Alternatively - you can create individual strm files for each stream. Create a file with the following in it:

udp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:1234 or udp://@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:1234 (can't remember exact format).

I doubt this will work with the PVR side of things, but you should be able to have live streaming.
Thinking about it, if pvr is required, you could feed the streams into tvheadend. You should be able to use the pvr front end then - this is purely thinking out loud and may or may not work ;-)
Thank you very much Prae5 for your response. I will give it a go using the .strm file and see how it turns out. My question though is, if I use TVheadend, do I have the option of sending the streaming unto the network via multicast and then receiving the multicast stream on XBMC?

Thanks.
(2013-03-04, 17:15)Darcourt Wrote: My question though is, if I use TVheadend, do I have the option of sending the streaming unto the network via multicast and then receiving the multicast stream on XBMC?

Honestly, not sure as I don't use it very much.

What is the long term goal? Do you need PVR support - if not then just using strm files / sap should give you everything....
(2013-03-04, 17:19)prae5 Wrote:
(2013-03-04, 17:15)Darcourt Wrote: My question though is, if I use TVheadend, do I have the option of sending the streaming unto the network via multicast and then receiving the multicast stream on XBMC?

Honestly, not sure as I don't use it very much.

What is the long term goal? Do you need PVR support - if not then just using strm files / sap should give you everything....

At the moment, PVR is not in the picture.
That being the case, just go for strm files.
(2013-03-04, 17:44)prae5 Wrote: That being the case, just go for strm files.

Hi,

I have taken one or two days off XBMC but I will work on making the .strm files work. In the mean time, can you (or anyone else who may know) please help interpret this? I am not a programmer but it looks like an Openelec/XBMC frontend addon for DVBlast. Am I right in suggesting that?

https://github.com/stefansaraev/openelec...ia/dvblast

I appreciate your input.

Thanks.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DVBlast as backend with XBMC.0