Linux Sound Volume Problem on Playing following Mp3 Files - HDMI
Exclamation 
Hi,

using the Raspbmc i have a Problem when start playing mp3s from a network storage.

when choosing the next file every 3rd or 4th song starts with another volume (mostly higher) than the former song.
1 song ok, 2 song ok, 3 song loud, 4 song ok, 5 song loud and so on.

can someone help me with this issue.

- deactivated volume amplifier
- deactivated volume settings from mp3 file
- using xbmc commander as remote control
Hey ip13t,

I had a very similar problem, although I'm running Xbian. My MP3 library is kept on a Thecus 4200PRO NAS and I'm using analog out. I am using XBMC Constellation on my iPhone to control XBMC (and also the basic web interface on my desktop's browser at times).

After upgrading to Frodo (RC Alpha 5 in Xbian terms), that dreaded popping / cracking at the beginning of each new track *finally* got resolved. However, I started seeing the same symptoms that you described: a semi-pattern of songs LEAPING in volume every 1 or 2 tracks. The only way to resolve it was to change the volume (I use the rocker buttons on my iPhone) and it immediately goes back to whatever volume you had it set at. But having to do that after being blasted with audio every track or 2 isn't fun Smile I tried all of the settings within XBMC around downmixing, outputting stereo, etc. but to no avail.

Only yesterday, I upgraded Xbian to 12.1 via SSH and, dare I speak too soon, it seems that this volume jumping issue is gone away!

I dabbled with RaspBMC first before moving to Xbian, by the way, and I liked it. But I have to say that I like the simplicity and stability of Xbian the most. I only use the setup for playing music (and the very occasional video, but rarely), if that makes a difference.
I've just set up Openelec XBMC on RPi for my music stored on a usb HDD on the network and I'm getting exactly the same issue. Tracks play at two different levels (to give you an idea of the level of jump I have to switch between -36dB and -18dB on my Yamaha AV amp to match volume). This makes it pretty unusable as you dare not leave the room in case the next track blows the windows out.
I originally ripped the music to ALAC via dBPowerAMP, applying track level Replay Gain tags and wondered whether this had anything to do with it.

I'll keep searching google for a solution and post back here if I find one.
Good news, guys Smile

Now, I haven't tested myself yet, but apparently this is something that is fixed with version 12.2 (so it's an XBMC thing and not RPi specific). Check this out: http://forum.xbian.org/thread-858.html

I'm going to back up my SD Card and then try one of the Xbian 12.2 nightlys on Tue / Wed. I'll post here when I've done with the results. If anyone beats me to it, then please do the same!
not sure what may cause your issues guys but I havent had anything like it.Tested with MP3's and also FLAC files where I played a few folders and the volume level was stable at all the time.
I just guess it might be a file related issue
(2013-05-04, 21:38)rikardo1979 Wrote: not sure what may cause your issues guys but I havent had anything like it.Tested with MP3's and also FLAC files where I played a few folders and the volume level was stable at all the time.
I just guess it might be a file related issue

Cheers for the reply - by any chance, are you playing from local / USB storage? Our problem isn't a common one, but from what I've going online it seems to be streaming / network-attached storage related. Here's hoping 12.2 is the fix!
no not an USB.All my media are served over wired SMB from local server.
I have an XBian (always latest as a crew :) ) but havent have this issue on any previous versions neither.
Looks it might be pretty difficult to narrow down what may cause the issue. Lets try the latest 12.2 build or wait a bit for official XBian update with XBMC 12.2
Well, one thing I did was ran curl + a quick JSON query while SSH'd in when recreating the problem. It pulls back the current volume. I did it for the first song and got a reading and then immediately again when the next track played (at a much louder volume). The query returned the same value, which makes me think the XBMC volume isn't actually changing (although a quick VOL- or VOL+ press when the volume jumps up returns it to normal).

I've seen issues on my Windows machine where the XML config file randomly ends up with a NEGATIVE volume level, resulting in muting. Any chance something similar is happening with Xbian's config files?
Hi all.

I also have same problem, and I'm using both OpenELEC and Raspbmc running XBMC 12.1 - and issue is exactly the same on both. I also have an ATV1 and a ATV2 which seem not to have this problem.

When volume goes up, it seem to be at volume 99/100 - but volume within XBMC still on it's low setting, ie. volume 40. And if I just press one time on volume UP in XBMC, the output from RPI jumps right DOWN to 41 (from 100)...! So i seems like this volume issue is someware outside XBMC volume setting.

BTW: Using the analog out on RPI for now...
Should be fixed in 12.2.
I'm happy (thrilled!) to report that I upgrade to 12.2 on my RPi + Xbian Alpha 5 setup and the issue has gone! Big Grin

I can finally passively listen to music without that nasty pop before songs start and without unexpected jumps in volume. Awesome work, both the XBMC and Xbian teams - thank you!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sound Volume Problem on Playing following Mp3 Files - HDMI0