Roku 3
I can't remember if the issue keeping XBMC off of the Roku was processing power or architecture. If it's not an architecture thing does anyone know if the specs of the new box will allow XBMC to make the move to Roku?
From raw tech specs, I recall it being "possible" even with Roku 2 since it could do Open GLES (being one of the major hurdles of such devices). I also assume that we would need more access than Roku gives out in their SDK to bring a full port of XBMC over to it, in addition to developers wanting to take up that very large task (XBMC would need to be ported, and tons of various libraries and such that XBMC depends on).

So will it happen? Probably not.

I still say, of all the "not-XBMC" boxes out there, Roku is probably the best. It also makes for a great supplemental box if you need remote-friendly Netflix and various other official clients, considering you can get a Roku for something like $50 and just put it on another input channel, no fuss. Also, that headphone jack on the remote control for Roku 3... that's something that could grow on me.
(2013-03-06, 05:52)Ned Scott Wrote: ...
So will it happen? Probably not.

I still say, of all the "not-XBMC" boxes out there, Roku is probably the best. ...

I agree. I love my Roku for official Netflix, Huluplus, Vudu, & Pandora (and some unofficial channels like BBC world service).

While it would be nice to have a single box in the living room I'm not prepared to move away from XBMC (even though Plex has improved a lot. Maybe the new roku interface will allow Plex to redo their interfaceHuh).

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
(2013-03-06, 05:52)Ned Scott Wrote: Also, that headphone jack on the remote control for Roku 3... that's something that could grow on me.

Seems like they are really making a play at "bedroom TVs" with that. Although I guess it's a nice feature anyway. Too bad we can't get Airplay (through a channel) on a Roku... force Apple to open up a little bit. Rokus already make pretty good secondary/bedroom clients for people with a plex server. If a full featured XBMC could somehow get on a Roku I think that would probably corner the market for most budget minded HTPC buyers.
If past history is anything to go on the Broadcom SOC in the ROKU 3 could be the basis for a more robust, future Raspberry Pi. That's all that interests me about it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Roku 30