Auto update not working.
Question 
Hi
I have my Pi running pretty good but the auto update isn't working. From within XMBC I can see it says downloading the update but when I check system - settings it's still the same. Tried several reboots etc.

I had lots of crashes with my first Install in December and that after many recoveries died so I've installed the Jan 25th update about a week ago from scratch via Berryboot.
I'm running Ver 2 Pi, 16gb class 10 sd card, Saitek wireless keyboard + wifi dongle, 2amp PSU and no powered hub being used.
I'm also running berryboot with Puppy with no problems.

PS. I'm new to Linux and the Pi so some of your answers might go over my head! :o)
You haven't mentioned which distribution you are running, though I'm guessing it is OpenELEC. What version are you running, specifically, the contents of /etc/release, as the version in System Info may only relate to the version of XBMC which will always be 12.0 for the time being, so this may be why you think it is not updating.

When OpenELEC has downloaded a new version, you should see it update when you next reboot - does the update fail, or does the update not happen at all (the onscreen messages should mean it is obvious when an attempt to update takes place).

I suppose Berryboot could be a reason why the auto-update breaks - does Berryboot place the OpenELEC boot files in a location other than the root of the SD card?
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Thanx for the reply.
Sorry for my lack of knowledge on this but I can't find the /etc/release/
Can you be very specific where to/how to find the above?
Yes it's OpenELEC and after my fresh install via Berryboot I can see from within XBMC 12.0 - RC3 etc compiled Jan 25 2013.
I've only checked using the XBMC file manager tho so perhaps /etc/release/ is not viewable from there!?
But I can see the image under /var/media/berryboot/images/
OpenELEC_2013.01.img128
Plus my others, PuppyAlpha, memtester etc.

I'm pretty sure it's not updating as I can see when booting the actual OpenELEC version which I think is the last line to be displayed. 2.99.2
And when I boot XBMC I can see the status of 2.99.4 available and downloading. Router very busy then downloads!
Says extracting and reboot to update.

Anyway I checked and it was set to Auto update and rebooted. It then started downloading as usual but when it boots it still shows the same version during boot.
I also assume because it downloads every time I boot it hasn't updated!
After several boots with my lastest install 2.99.2 is still showing during boot!
Unfortunately during the 2nd time I booted it hung and failed to find the partition.
I ran a system file check which got the Berryboot menu back but XBMC I just get a black screen.
Renamed the failed install and from Berryboot installed another fresh install of OpenELEC as noted above.
This is my 2nd install of this version now.

I don't get any update fail message.
Like I said above the download starts automatically after on screen ticker bottom right says "new update available. Downloading and extracting. Please reboot to install"

To answer your question about boot files.
As far as I can tell the boot files are not directly in the /root

So when Berryboot boots I can then select one of several OS's to start etc.
Do you think this is stopping the update in some way?
Connect using ssh to your Pi running OpenELEC, and execute the command "cat /etc/release"

I very much doubt you will be able to auto-update while using Berryboot, you will need to update manually by downloading the new OpenELEC image and updating the installed image in the Berryboot images folder. You should set auto-update to manual within XBMC so that it doesn't keep trying to download a new version.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Auto update not working.0