subtitles: play default track *if* it exists
Is there a way to configure XBMC as follows regarding MKV files:

1) If there is a subtitle track with the default flag set, play it
2) If there are subtitles but none have the default flag, don't play any

This is how Media Player Classic works and with this configuration I only get subtitles when there are foreign language parts in an otherwise English spoken film.
You mean "forced"? XBMC can do this. Just turn subtitles off and save as default for all movies, and only the "forced" track will playback.
No, there are two flags in an MKV file: default and forced. I've never seen anyone use the forced flag. For all the files in my library it is the default flag that is set for English subtitles when a foreign language is spoken.
Thats when the forced flag should be set, the forced subs are foreign parts only. If you want to have your own "special" way then no.

read this https://trac.bunkus.org/wiki/FAQ%3ADefau...YesNoInMMG

XBMC will always play the forced flag subs not the rest.

uNi
I never really understood the difference between "default" and "forced" and that wiki doesn't clear it up for me. If the "forced" flag is set then the user can't turn them off? Why have other subtitles muxed into the file then? I don't think what I am asking is "special" since, as I said, it is a standard practice to use the "default" flag to mark subtitles for non-English spoken parts. It would be quite a chore to go through my entire library and change the "default" flags to "forced" flags. It is equally inconvenient to manually turn subs on and off every time I play a file. Since Windows Media Player handles this scenario do you think it would be worth enhancing XBMC to do the same?
Quote: Now on to the "forced display" flag, in short "forced". If this is set to "on" then this track must be played/shown no matter what the user selected for his preferences or what the player would normally chose to show/play. This is used seldom, e.g. only for a subtitle track that only contains the English translation whenever Legolas is talking Elbish.

"Forced" has nothing to do with "default track". If "forced" is set the player must play that track no matter what "default track" is set to. In fact normally a track that has "forced" set does not have "default track" set, though it is neither invalid nor undefined behavior.

It is fairly simple what it says. If you want to have non english part subs play in xbmc then the forced flag must be set, which means if you have several tracks then selecting default defines which one is preferred, I dot think this applies to forced subs.

Forced subs are and always have been associated with non English subs parts only while default is arguably not associated with this. That is not to say the subs feature shouldnt be extended, but unless a developer has use for this dont count on it.

Just my two "cents", which concludes my participation in this discussion.

uNi

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
subtitles: play default track *if* it exists0