Dead silent HTPC i3-3225
OK - my worse fear came true. It won't boot (does nothing). I even plugged in a regular disk expecting it to make some noise, but nothing.

Any gotcha you remember, or it just worked for you the first time?
(2013-04-16, 12:58)cfsdev Wrote: OK - my worse fear came true. It won't boot (does nothing). I even plugged in a regular disk expecting it to make some noise, but nothing.

Any gotcha you remember, or it just worked for you the first time?

Did you try this already ?
"If you can’t power up the PC from S5 state, first unplug the IR switch cable, flip 180 degree and plug back.
Incorrect polarization will prevent IR from power up the PC." - it's the cable connected to the power switch (where the power button is).

Incorrect polarization will prevent also the power/hdd LED from working.
Yes, tried all the cable combinations I could think of. By the way, the button on the PCB is a power button, right? I tried without the remote IR as well, just plugin the PCB to the motherboard and pressing that button (you never know, maybe the remote is broken...).
I did not know there is a button on the IR PCB.
What motherboard do you have? Did you check the bios settings?
The mobo is the exact one in the first post in this thread (as everything else).

Following some advise from Larry I got it to start (and die after two seconds, but it's progress for sure).

I reset the BIOS setting by clearing the CMOS, not much else I can do since there's no video :-)
In bios I only enabled power on by mouse and keyboard.

Did you ever had video so far? Is the system connected to a monitor or to a TV ? Give more details.
No, no video at any time.

I've tried in a TV via HDMI and a monitor via DVI, same behavior in both.
Both 20pin and 4pin from PSU are connected? Unplug the SSD.
You should try another PSU. Also another memory.
Same results with different PSU and memory.

So looks like mobo and/or CPU. I was hoping for the PSU given that it's the easier thing to replace...
After some more work - update :-)

- PSU cable is damaged, I'm getting a replaced
- Either the CPU, or the motherboard, or both, were dead - unknown if on arrival or caused by the PSU cable, or user paws

I now have working CPU+mobo+memory (tested on the table) so I'm waiting for the replacement PSU cable to install everything again and hope for the best.
That's almost good news Wink You can install everything inside the fanless case and just wait for the PSU.
i really love this project and i was wondering if this kind of fanless htpc can be used as an always on pc.
I'd like to use its double hdmi to connect it to my tv and a screen+mouse+keyboard so i can use it as a normal pc to surf the net and play some "not so heavy" game like league of legends.

Would you recommend it to me with the kind of use i would make of it?

actually i got a laptop connected via hdmi to my tv, i'd like to replace it with a fanless powerful minipc like this![/align]
(2013-04-19, 00:16)IGNIZ Wrote: i really love this project and i was wondering if this kind of fanless htpc can be used as an always on pc.
I'd like to use its double hdmi to connect it to my tv and a screen+mouse+keyboard so i can use it as a normal pc to surf the net and play some "not so heavy" game like league of legends.

Would you recommend it to me with the kind of use i would make of it?

actually i got a laptop connected via hdmi to my tv, i'd like to replace it with a fanless powerful minipc like this![/align]

I see no reason why not. After all this is just another PC with a different cooling system.
Regarding Lol, better search the web, to see how Intel HD 4000 can handle this game.

I did not test it, but this motherboard (wifi card) supports also Intel Wireless Display - you just need a compatible Intel Widi adapter connected to your TV.
(2013-04-18, 19:38)ZetBv Wrote: That's almost good news Wink You can install everything inside the fanless case and just wait for the PSU.

I can't because the sticky things that go under the motherboard can't be reused (they no longer stick after removal). Anyway while installing the thing takes some time the first time I suspect once you've done it once it takes a few minutes, so no big deal.

I'm waiting for the cable + new stickers to arrive, hopefully on Monday I'll be up and running :-)
OK, final update :-)

I got the replacement cable Larry from hdplex fedexed me, took me around 1 hour to install everything. XBMC is up and running, everything seems stable, temperature is less than 50 C.

I couldn't get the remote to work well (meaning that while in a linux terminal you need to press 5 around 20 times in the remote to get one in the console), but I don't know if it's the remote, the receiver, or just that I didn't install it properly (I screwed it myself to the case using a screw that looked OK, I didn't get the official one). Also, I can't power on from the remote.

So I took my old remote from my previous HTPC (a original microsoft one, connected via external USB) and I'm a happy camper. It's possible if I wasn't lazy I could get the hdplex one to work. But I like my old remote, and I don't really power off the htpc ever.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Dead silent HTPC i3-32251