RAM: Corsair XMS3 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz
Case: Hdplex H3.S + 80W PSU + Hdplex internal IR receiver
SSD: Kingston ssdnow V300 120GB
Price: 600 euro ~ 780 $

HDD: do not need one, I have a file server
Keyboard: Rii Mini Wireless
Remote: Logitech Harmony 300

Case
The most difficult choice for me was the fanless case. After a lot of reading I have found 3 cases: Impactics, Streacom FC8 Evo and Hdplex H3.S. I wanted to be 100% sure there will be no compatibility issue during the build. So, based on reviews, infos from forums, but also the replies I got to my emails from the seller/reseller, I have ordered the Hdplex H3.S.
The H3.S comes fully loaded - if you look at the package content on their website, you will see they really understand what customer care means. Building the HTPC is quite easy (of course it takes more time than a desktop system) - just follow the installation guide.
Here are some pics with the build.

Tests
I checked the CPU temp and power consumption in three different scenarios:

1. Prime 95 stress test

2. h264 playback

3. Idle

This idle temp has been taken after 15 min since I stopped Prime95. So, next day I did a different test - just start the system and after 5 hours of "idle" - the CPU temp was 33°C.

IR receiver
I have configured a new device Microsoft MCE-1039 in my Logitech Harmony 300 remote - just like the Hdplex website says and my remote works like a charm. I can turn off the computer and turn it on from complete off state S5.
I had only to assign the Return key. so I can go back in XBMC menus.

Final thoughts:
I am extremely happy with the final result.
The TDP 55W from i3-3225 can be misleading,but, as you could see this is a very low power consumption CPU.
I have to thank Larry from Hdplex for the great quality case and for being so helpful.
Even though I do not have many posts here, I have to thank you all for helping me make such a good choice.
My setup:

Wow, fantastic build. I love that case. I'm also running a i3-3225, but I have 3 HDD's and a couple of fans attached so it's running at about 37w idle.
Great writeup....those temps are (relatively) ice cold.
Main HTPC:
Intel e4600 + AMD HD5450 + Antec NSK2480B case + 4gb ddr2 + Earthwatts 430 + 1.5tb Seagate 7200 + XBMC Rapier Qualar Mod Skin + Win7
Office HTPC/Ripper/Server:
AMD x4 635 + GT220 + Antec 300 case + 4gbddr3 + OCZ ModXStream 500 psu + 3x2tb WD green drives + Win7
Thanks for sharing :-) Happy to see all the components can be purchased from Spain (amazon.es carries everything but the case, and the case can be purchased from their website).

I've placed my order for everything in your list, since you made the leg work for me. Thanks!
You're welcome. Glad I could help.

I forgot to say something in the first post - ambient temperature was 21,5°C.
(2013-03-10, 23:56)ZetBv Wrote: Hdplex internal IR receiver

Is the IR receiver connected to a USB header on the motherboard? And is the IR receiver the one in the middle on the front, and the power button on the top left?
That's a very nice build. I'd love to have a case that nice at some point, but $300 feels kind of steep.
(2013-03-29, 09:20)Se7en Wrote: Is the IR receiver connected to a USB header on the motherboard? And is the IR receiver the one in the middle on the front, and the power button on the top left?

Yes - usb 2.0. Yes and yes.
Niiiiice
Does the remote powers on the pc ? (from shutdown)
Yes, it does - see in the first post "IR Receiver"
(2013-03-29, 12:59)ZetBv Wrote: Yes, it does - see in the first post "IR Receiver"

Very good... (seemed i was very lazy to read Tongue )...
Maybe this info is a bit off-topic, but I am sure some of you guys might find it useful.
My remote control Logitech Harmony 300 (2-3 years old) was not working properly anymore - for e.g. Volume up or Channel up, I had to press them several times to get some result.
Cleaning it did the trick, but only for a short time.
One of my friends fix it for me - he bought a "rubbers for remote controllers" kit. It has 100 conductive rubbers and silicon adhesive.

All you have to do is open the remote control, clean it, dry it and then using the silicon adhesive, stick the conductive rubbers on the back of buttons.
Of course you can use this kit to fix any type of remote.

I really like this setup, i will wait for haswell cpu

My use is for Open Elec, do you think that is too much overkill ?
I know many people will not agree with me, but I never told anybody "it is overkill", even when it really was. Who knows what you will do in the future. Maybe it will come one day when you will need the "extra power".

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Dead silent HTPC i3-32251