Jynxbox Android HD Mini
Wicked... This got shelved and I've been using my tab for a bit but I'm looking at it again tonight.

Seriously.... I have yet to watch a video on this thing.

Anyone tried one of the Linux distros for am logic chips
OK. Unless I'm a total spazz, I couldn't make this box useful to me.

So, formerly I had an ATV2 Jb'd with XBMC. The only limitation was that ATV2 itself is maxed at 720p but since this particular TV is primarily for the kids and wife (and I'm selfish) noone cared.

My setup:
Ion 330 HTPC attached to a bigass 3D TV in the basement. It has several TBs of SATA storage in it. It runs XBMCBuntu with -now- both NFS and SMB shares. It also has the SQL database so I can start watching upstairs, then when everyones asleep, pause and resume downstairs. Also to maintain thumbs etc for weird movies and not to duplicate storage unnecessarily.

Basically, the Jynxbox was supposed to replace the ATV2.

I've tried several firmwares (Geeksquad, Geniatech), several versions of XBMC (Nightlies, XAF, Pivos, Geniatech).

No combination of either allows me to play SMB files, over WIFI - External player or not. None currently support HD over SMB.

Also, EVERY FIRMWARE has the wireless issues. It says 65Mbps, but I have to Turn Off, then On to go back to 'blue' from 'grey', in other words it loses contact with the Google Servers for some reason. It's not my network, as I had my tablet (TF700) on the same TV in the same location streaming 1080p home videos of my kids on shuffle before, during, and after a toddlers birthday party for 8 hours.

On the Jynxbox I am also having UID issues in recognizing the NFS shares on the inbuilt client. Mounting the NFS and pulling locally would bork the purpose of the SQL server. We also have 2x laptops, an old imac5,1 dual-screening to a 37" LCD and 1x tablet. All stream XBMC no problems. Over NFS-Xbmc client - formerly, and SMB currently.

Basically, if you stream over a network, and use a SQL server, this box is junk until Android has HW acceleration for it. Which doesn't seem to be in immediate future. The nightlies seem hopeful, but still aren't delivering. I can't be the only one that isn't going to be bothered with hardconnecting a USB - especially since I have the GYRO remote which requires a dongle!

Lastly, a giant wave of Quad-Cores STBs have come out or been announced in the last few weeks- not to mention I have an OUYA on pre-order. A quad-core is usually enough to software decode 1080p even if the hardware support isn't there.

Unimpressed at the moment. On the plus side, my kids have spent the last 2 weeks outside.
If you're going to stream on your LAN I suggest using UPnP, its the one that works the best right now.
Here is the kernel driver for the Android HD and mini: Android Kernel Driver

Maybe someone can get the wifi for Linux working on the mini now.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Jynxbox Android HD Mini0