• 13(current)
[RELEASE] - Thumbnails Cleaner v1.1.4
Hi,

First, my growing thumbnails folder has been the bane of my, otherwise delightful, XBMC experience, so thank you, so much, for this wonderful addon!

Second, I was wondering if anyone might have a few minutes to help out a bumbling idiot like me, because I'm just not getting it Sad

On the 1.1.3 version I installed (into Gotham 13.0 RC1, running on an OUYA), it looks like everything works just fine. I ran the simulation but it didn't want to clear a lot of space so I then disabled checking on things I don't use, such as music, sets, genres. I then just ran "Clean", and, when it displayed a list asking me what I'd like to keep, I said "None". It then displayed a message that it was moving more than 7k images, which is great. Finally, I get the before and after, 550mbs before, 50mbs after, so I'm delighted, and exit the addon.
BUT, then I go to ES File Explorer to analyze my SD card storage, and, there, in my Thumbnails folder, I still have 550mbs-worth of images Sad
So, it appears to NOT have deleted any images at all…is there something else I need to press?

I see buttons for "Query" which, when pressed, shows a keyboard - I have no clue what to enter, so I just cancel that; another button for "Empty"…what does that one do?
In "Settings" I see the option to set a folder I want to copy/move to (550mbs DID get copied to that), and options to disable checking on certain things, but, whilst reading this thread I see people mentioning options to delete images "older than"…where would that be? because it's not under my settings button.

Anyway, I re-entered XBMC and ran this thing again…I get the "Thank you for using" message, stating it has now moved 7612 files and recovered 507.3mb, but it also states "0 field(s) deleted from the textures database"…could that be why it isn't actually removing the files for me? Because, again, under the Clean option, it shows the 7k original files as "before", and continues to do so regardless of how many times I run a "clean" and it states that it has saved me the space Sad

Any help to get rid of this 1/2 a Gb which is sorely needed on my Ouya will be met with gushing gratitude!!!
Thanks in advance!
Well, I kept trying stuff and looking into things, and it appears I solved my problem (which really arose from my complete lack of understanding as to how XBMC handles thumbnails!).
I "think" my issue with this particular add-on was the fact that I had something in the textures db for which there was no image (the numbers produced by the addon didn't match), and this issue was encountered by someone earlier in this thread (username texasfrank, iirc) - for that person nothing was actually moved either.

So, to solve my own issue, and with great trepidation, I deleted (actually renamed first) my Thumbnails folder AND my textures13.db.
Now I have regained my 550mbs of space, with ZERO noticeable ill effects (my libraries are pretty small, though).

Now my number of images and number of textures in this addon DO match, so I'll do some browsing to "grow" my thumbnails folder, and then test this addon again.

Hope that helps someone else…I still have a couple of "pending" questions from my earlier post, though, if anyone cares to shed some light.
Thanks again for what looks to be a fabulous addon!
(2014-06-14, 17:32)m4x1m Wrote: Download from GoogleDrive
script.thumbnailscleaner-1.1.3.zip

Download & Install my unofficial XBMC repository
repository.m4x1m.zip

Code:
v1.1.3:
- Added a checks on startup to be sure the database settings are correct.
- Removed checks on folder backup, if the user doesn't choose any folder, the script will use a backup folder under its own script folder.

Works great, thank you! It cleaned a good 3.7G worth of old crap Smile
Hmm..
Once I launch the app, I can never "exit" out of it?
Was this resolved in the new version max?

Also, I can't get it to run or do anything? It's as if it's not responding to key presses?

Xbmc 13.1
App version 1.1.3
Windows 7
(2014-06-25, 15:55)DerekCuster Wrote: Hmm..
Once I launch the app, I can never "exit" out of it still? Was this resolved in the new version max?

Please, post a debug log. As you can read from the previous posts, the script seems to be works.
LG M227WD - ASUS S1-AT5NM10E - LOGITECH HARMONY 300i - MINI KEYBOARD USB
Running Ubuntu Precise 12.04.04 - FRODO 12.03 - Transparency!
Movies: 996 - TV Show: 98 - Albums: 1161

My Script: Rating Update - Thumbnails Cleaner
I'll try get one up.. I'm on an iPhone so it ain't easy posting logs from that sucka Big Grin
(2014-06-25, 15:55)DerekCuster Wrote: Also, I can't get it to run or do anything? It's as if it's not responding to key presses?

I'm having the same problem as DerekCuster.

I'm using Frodo 12 (1st official build)
Windows 7
add-on version 1.1.3

Debug log:
Log on Pastebin

I'm not sure the log is entirely useful though. Unless I'm missing something, it appears to give no feedback about the actual buttonpresses (ie - when I actually click 'CLEAN') after the add-on has started.

--did something happen since you released it a while ago, whereby it might not work on Frodo anymore?
I'm wondering how this will work if we're using advancedsettings with pathsubstitution for the thumbnail location? I'm using XBMC 13.1 on a Amazon FireTV and have moved my thumbnail folder to my main computer where I have plenty of space. Will this addon recognize that and clean that folder out?

Just discovered this at work and will give it a try when I get home. Looking forward to regaining some space on the FireTV.

This may be a little OT, but since moving my thumbnails, am I good to delete the thumbnail folder and textures13.db from main device running XBMC? I've read every page and I think I'm good to do so, just want to be sure.

Thanks.
Rusty, path substitution; you raise a good point. Mine is remotely stored also. Maybe hats why mine fails to start... Hmm.
i'am still unclear of how this addon works after readin these threads. can someone who have done this be so kind to please briefly tell me what should i set the settings. what steps needed to take.

does this delete thumbnails or move it to designated folder? if moved, is it safe to delete it?

thanks for any help in advance.

im on win 7 gotham 13.1
Just select what kind of thumbs you would like to remove.

You can "test" to know how many space are you going to recover, i.e., i usually set temp dir to c:\temp or \tmp in linux, run as test, if recover is bigger than 1GB, then run again and delete it (and yes, it totally safe remove it from \tmp too)

If, like me, you use an SSD, this is probably the best addon for xbmc :-D
i ran this addon 3 times & it frozed on me everytime. its took nearly 5 hours each time on the scanning before it froze up on my small library that i have, it never even finish the process, so expect to wait.

just a caution for someone who is new to this addon, once you click any button to start the process...u need to WAIT. there wont be a status bar to show you its scanning. it took me 3-5 mins. before it show any initial results and after that WAIT further then you'll see a status bar scanning , which will take a few hours depending on ur library.. i didnt even get the results of how much space it was gonna save me. mine frozed. am i doin something wrong or is there another way to deal with this xbmc thumbnail cache problem?

EDIT 1: my thumbnail folder went from 15.7 GB & jumped to 16.8 GB within a week. i havnt add anything in library or anything big for it to increase over 1 gb of thumbnails. this is getting ridiculous. anybody knows another way to purge thumbnail folder since this addon doesn't work for me? im afraid thumbnail folder gonna keep goin up & up. thanks for any help in advance.

EDIT 2: it copied 8 gigs to my designated folder, but my thumb nail folder is still the same at 16.8 GB. wasn't it suppose to move it, so i can delete it? but it didn't. can someone please tell me step-by-atep instructions? thanks in advance.

EDIT 3: i tried Streetsy method of deleting my thumbnail folder (18.9GB) & texture13.db and it worked like a charm. i saved about 15 gigs of unnecessary space of junk files. now less clutter. im happy.

EDIT 4: i kinda regretted doin this method. it has to load & re-cache everything again (while your thumb nail forder is increasing in size). i mean..EVERY ARTWORK. there's not a single button where u can just do this. but you gotta do it manually, so xbmc will intially won't be responsive. after that it will be quick loading. it does mess up alot of artwork espclly with album artwork, so you gotta manually go back & try to fix this, which is pain stakingly time consuming. what a big pain in the ass!!! if i had known i wouldn't do this just to save some disc space. do this as a last resort. hope this helps someone.
What a mess!
Thumbnails cleaner deleted all the thumbnails of the existing movies and addons,including home backgrounds.

edit:i solved deleting texture13.db as suggested by Streetsy
YEs, lost all my thumbs, although the files seem to be there. Deleting texture13.db makes no difference to me. Any ideas?
I tried running this and immediately got an error message saying there was a problem with my database settings. Is this an issue with the add on or with something else?

http://pastebin.com/YzBGteTH
  • 13(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] - Thumbnails Cleaner v1.1.44