INPUT NEEDED: Newbie PVR guide
Found this post very helpful for me:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=182556

Tuner/service: HDHomeRun OTA
OS/Backend: Openelec 3.2.4 / TVHeadend / HDHomeRun Drivers (both of these are plugins included in OpenELEC)
Frontend: XBMC on the Openelec, as well as my test XMBC on my Win7 laptop, and one ATV2 (all need to have the tvheadend client enabled and configured with backends IP, no username/passwd needed unless you added one manually)

Now, I think my HDHomeRun is bad, it keeps dropping off the network/turning off, so i need to address that, and I'll have to get a better antenna and locate it higher up to get ALL the channels, but it looks promoising.

I'll eventually probably use schedules direct for the EPG info, i'm not there yet since my tuner dies after a small amount of testing.

It also showed me how bad mpeg2 in 1080 being squeezed out by my ATV2 looks (its all choppy). I really need to replace them with a few NUCs Smile
Ok, I'm going to stick out my neck and ask the ultimative newbie question.

I have no TV-tuner in my PC. I can stream a lot of channels via Xbmc over the internet on my PC.

Can I record those channels?

Just like using firefox to download legal videos from youtube.

WormHeart
Not with XBMC, no.
So - the PVR are only working with a TV-tuner?

Too bad. Undecided

Curious - how is that any better than just using a regular HD-recorder with my cable?

WormHeart
No one said it was any better.
Oh, I probably was just approaching it from the wrong angle. Smile

I was searching for a way to record, and thought this was it.

WormHeart
If anyone interest in a small, silent and low powered pvr backend then I recommend on any of the Cubox-i models.
While I believe currently OpenELEC use the older 3.0.50 kernel you can get 3.10 on the device (so updated dvb drivers) with other distro (I'm on Arch, I think Geexbox already updated).
(If you know how to then you can always build an updated media tree).

My model is the Cubox-i2, I'm running on it a bunch of apps: Tvheadend, HTPCManager, CouchPotato, Sickbeard, Headphones, and also use it as a Armv7h build server.
It super stable, I tried crashing it running the cpu at almost 100% for 2-3 days and it stayed up without an issue.
I didn't experience any issue with the usb port, usb dvb-t tuner working great (you can't say this on the Raspberry Pi).

I'll probably upgrade it to one of the eSATA models, would attach storage directly to it and install XBMC thus retiring two of my devices: Pogoplug v4 (NAS) and one of my Amlogic based device (headless audio client).
Hi all

Im using Beyond XBMC 12.4.1

How can I set up IPTV??

Its missing from the PVR clients Confused
(2014-08-13, 22:04)LiamKennyMac Wrote: Hi all

Im using Beyond XBMC 12.4.1

How can I set up IPTV??

Its missing from the PVR clients Confused

when you are using custom versions of XBMC/Kodi, you will normally have much more success asking your questions directly to the developers of the version you are using, this is because they might have added or removed something which may brake things that normally works.
Where can I definitively find what standards/codecs I will need for my given Cable Provider? For example: I currently have Comcast Limited Basic, and I'm looking at a Tv Tuner Card from Hauppauge that supports ATSC, DVB, and QAM. Do I need to get a Cable Card? Can I ditch my set-top box, or do I need to run a cable from the wall, through the box, and into my HTPC?

Honestly, I'd be okay with keeping the set-top, if it means I don't have to rent some other piece of equipment. With my package, it's no extra charge for the box.
No tuner device needed if you have a cable box with firewire, all you need to do is add a backend that has firewire tuning/capture capabilities and a data source for EPG (Electronic Program Guide) info.

I use Mythtv as a PVR backend and it works flawlessly with a Motorola DCH-3200. Dedicate an old PC (really, it'll run on a celeron if you had to) with a decent Firewire chipset/card, throw a ton of storage at it (local hard drives or a NAS), add a Firewire cable, and get an EPG subscription from Schedules Direct for about 25/year.

Have a look here to see if your cablebox is has firewire capture:
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Firewire_Cab...patability
If not, I would **strongly** recommend you consider a Silicon Dust HD Homerun Prime and swap your cable box out for a cable card.

I can't speak for other PVR backends because Myth has worked fine for me since 2004 but that doesn't mean there aren't other solutions out there that will work with your cable. If you do go the Myth route, I encourage you to try the Mythbuntu distribution as it will do most of the heavy lifting (setting up and configuring MySQL, Apache, lircd, etc) for you and comes with a GUI Control Panel.
Kodi 14.2: Mythbuntu-14.04.2 (1xC2D-T6400|4gb),(1xAth64+3800|2gb) | Win7 (2xC2D-8400|4gb) | OE 5.08 (2xRPi-B+)
MythTV 0.28-2825: Mythbuntu-14.04.2 (Ath64-3800|2gb|80gb/1tb) | mySQL for mythconverg | Kodi instance
Server 14.04.2: (AthX2+5000|4gb|80/500/2x3000Gb) | DNS/Wins/NFS/SMB/mySQL | Deluge/Sick/Couch/HTPCmon/LMS(squeeze)
Hello All,
I am a newbie. I currently run WMC on my Ceton InfiniTV4 tuner card with a Fios cable card and access it on two remote TV's via xbox. I would like to switch over to Kodi to record and watch live TV. Can you point me in the direction of a setup guide. How to get it functioning? Would it use the Xbox's to communicate to other pc's on my network? Any help to get me started would be most appreciated! Thanks, diana
Hi,

I had a setup with Windows 7 Media Center and OTA TV. Just upgraded to Windows 10 and installed Kodi. I only record about 1-2 sport games per week. What would be the easiest program to set up for OTA?

Thanks
I'm shocked that finding a replacement for WMC is such a nightmare. This is a glaring gap in the market, and the first company to provide a plug-and-play solution to WMC is going to clean up. Seriously, I've just reviewed Kodi, Media Player, Myth TV, Next PVR, DVB Logic, etc.. and none of them, according to their own forums, are "plug and play." Everyone complaining about having to add various other pieces of software, Command Prompt workarounds and modifications, poor signal quality, strange imcompatibilities and intermittancies, etc...

I read that HD Home Run will soon release a WMC-like replacements. Maybe they are the ones? Someone is going to clean up on this mess. Windows 10 is coming fast, and will requirement a replacement for WMC.
I'm still using windows media centre 7, been trying to get a PVR working on linux for the last couple of years and there is nothing yet with the ease of use of wmc. Maybe it's just me but does everyone programming these systems try hard to make it difficult to use. TV guide and record button, double click to record a series ?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
INPUT NEEDED: Newbie PVR guide3