INPUT NEEDED: Newbie PVR guide

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
00b5 Offline
Found this post very helpful for me:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=182556

Tuner/service: HDHomeRun OTA
OS/Backend: Openelec 3.2.4 / TVHeadend / HDHomeRun Drivers (both of these are plugins included in OpenELEC)
Frontend: XBMC on the Openelec, as well as my test XMBC on my Win7 laptop, and one ATV2 (all need to have the tvheadend client enabled and configured with backends IP, no username/passwd needed unless you added one manually)

Now, I think my HDHomeRun is bad, it keeps dropping off the network/turning off, so i need to address that, and I'll have to get a better antenna and locate it higher up to get ALL the channels, but it looks promoising.

I'll eventually probably use schedules direct for the EPG info, i'm not there yet since my tuner dies after a small amount of testing.

It also showed me how bad mpeg2 in 1080 being squeezed out by my ATV2 looks (its all choppy). I really need to replace them with a few NUCs Smile
find quote
wormheart Offline
Ok, I'm going to stick out my neck and ask the ultimative newbie question.

I have no TV-tuner in my PC. I can stream a lot of channels via Xbmc over the internet on my PC.

Can I record those channels?

Just like using firefox to download legal videos from youtube.

WormHeart
find quote
Ned Scott Offline
Team-XBMC Wiki Guy
Not with XBMC, no.

You can make easy links to the XBMC wiki using double brackets around common XBMC words: [[debug log]] = debug log, [[Video library]] = Video library, [[SMB]] = SMB , [[userdata]] = userdata, etc
find quote
wormheart Offline
So - the PVR are only working with a TV-tuner?

Too bad. Undecided

Curious - how is that any better than just using a regular HD-recorder with my cable?

WormHeart
find quote
Ned Scott Offline
Team-XBMC Wiki Guy
No one said it was any better.

You can make easy links to the XBMC wiki using double brackets around common XBMC words: [[debug log]] = debug log, [[Video library]] = Video library, [[SMB]] = SMB , [[userdata]] = userdata, etc
find quote
wormheart Offline
Oh, I probably was just approaching it from the wrong angle. Smile

I was searching for a way to record, and thought this was it.

WormHeart
find quote
dhead Offline
Donor
If anyone interest in a small, silent and low powered pvr backend then I recommend on any of the Cubox-i models.
While I believe currently OpenELEC use the older 3.0.50 kernel you can get 3.10 on the device (so updated dvb drivers) with other distro (I'm on Arch, I think Geexbox already updated).
(If you know how to then you can always build an updated media tree).

My model is the Cubox-i2, I'm running on it a bunch of apps: Tvheadend, HTPCManager, CouchPotato, Sickbeard, Headphones, and also use it as a Armv7h build server.
It super stable, I tried crashing it running the cpu at almost 100% for 2-3 days and it stayed up without an issue.
I didn't experience any issue with the usb port, usb dvb-t tuner working great (you can't say this on the Raspberry Pi).

I'll probably upgrade it to one of the eSATA models, would attach storage directly to it and install XBMC thus retiring two of my devices: Pogoplug v4 (NAS) and one of my Amlogic based device (headless audio client).
(This post was last modified: 2014-03-17 14:28 by dhead.)
find quote