Low Budget Build
I'm a long time lurker who finally posted, and have done quite a bit of research, but feel free to tell me what I did wrong or could have done differently. I've been running a few XBMC devices (Uhost Android Stick, and an original xbox, but have been looking to expand to some capabilities that I really needed a PC for, including a transcoding server (still deciding between universal media server and plex), pytivo and being able to automate kmttg transfers with renaming and metadata to keep my wife happier with the setup and free her laptop from those duties.

My budget was extremely tight, but I wanted to at least get a relatively modern CPU to be flexible and keep the power use down, I was basically just price watching for a decent deal on an AMD A6-5400 or i3 3225 with a mobo with hdmi/ usb3.

The build:

Intel Core i-3 3225 $119.99
MSI B75MA-E33 MoBo (open box buy) $7.96 ($40 off with the CPU at Microcenter, but I did have to fight with the manager to get them to honor this for the open box mobo)
4 Gig DDR 3 Ram PAREEMA MD313C81609L1 $24.99
XION XON-720P mATX/ ITX Slim Desktop Case $29.99 (After $10 MIR)
3 TB WD Elements USB 2 external drive Already paid for, but originally $100 after MIR, this currently houses my media for the Android Stick.

Not too shabby for $183 with some recycled parts.

I have a stack of unused smaller hard drives lying around and will probably attempt to install an extra copy of Windows 7 on one of them. Some day as budget allows I might add a small solid state drive, add blu-ray, and replace the PSU with a Pico.

Just waiting on the ram, which is scheduled for delivery on Saturday, to build and fire this thing up.
Also, any advice on a super cheap Bluray drive? Seems I missed the boat on New Egg's long offered $25 Lite-On 4x model,

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Low Budget Build0