Req Scrape different TVShows-Episodes in one big folder
I dont want to organize my TV Shows anymore.
Wrote that right here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=159067
Quote:the first 12TB of my videofiles are stored like This: TV Show -> Season -> Episodes
I think its easier to do it this way(I want it): TV Shows -> Episodes of all TV Shows

All my Folders and Files of Episodes are tagged like this (I think its like 99% does it):
name.s01e02.extblablabla

I imagine a option on TVDB Scraper named: Scrape flat directory

Please answer to this Thread, if you are interested in this. If somebody wants to help with this, i would support this with some pocket money and would make it public for all.
The Boxee Box could handle all TV Shows in one big folder, scan & sort them by show, season & episode, and wasn't that based on XBMC? I loved my Boxee and still have it, but because it could not shuffle a folder of videos and play all my music in random without the use of a playlist I went back to XBMC on a HTPC...and had to organize all my shows by folder - UGH.

I personally would like to have all of my TV Shows in one big folder again because I am inherently lazy when it comes to keeping files neat and organized and would just prefer XBMC to automatically read everything in the folder, sort it by show title and season.

Movies are all in one big folder and XBMC can scan each one of them and tell what it is, so how much more would it take to get XBMC to scan all the TV Shows in one folder and sort them like the Boxee did/does by show>season>episode?
XBMC would need to tell the difference between an episode title and a TV show title. Considering how many free and easy to use apps there are out there that will organize your files for you, by just pressing a button, there really isn't any incentive to change how XBMC works, which would limit the naming conventions that XBMC is able to work with.
(2013-05-06, 20:54)Ned Scott Wrote: XBMC would need to tell the difference between an episode title and a TV show title. Considering how many free and easy to use apps there are out there that will organize your files for you, by just pressing a button, there really isn't any incentive to change how XBMC works, which would limit the naming conventions that XBMC is able to work with.

So true. If i where you, i would toss that folder into a renaming problem like Sickbeard or NZBdrone and it would do all the heavy lifting for you. All you would have to do is add all the series you have to the programs and point them to the tv folder and let them do the rest.

If my replies help you, please click on my reputation Image below :) thanks :)
Maybe that is a solution to have stuff auto-organized, but it is still another step or something to do after downloading and transferring it to my NAS. I just liked the way the Boxee worked in not being particular about needing sub-folders to organize TV shows. I was able to dump the shows into one folder, and some of them were even in sub-folders, and the Boxee didn't complain about it. For Example:

TV Shows (Folder)
--Files
>Viewed (Sub-Folder)
--Files
Burn (Sub-Folder)
--Files

Why would having XBMC do what the old Boxee could without issue cause a limit on the naming conventions XBMC is able to work with? I can't say the Boxee ever had too much trouble trying to identify everything when the files were in a standard format of "Show.Name SxxExx.extra.information" and all plunked in one main folder and even sub-folders.
and there you have it. "standard formatting". if every one had it like that there would be no problem but that's not the case.

i really can't see the problem why users just can't put the files in a tvshow subfolder. is it really that hard to do?
if it is there are tools that do it for you.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Nah, it isn't that it is hard to do. I had to do it when I started using XBMC on my old HTPC again instead of the Boxee as my main media player. It was a pain in the a$$ for sure to organize EVERYTHING I had all at once one afternoon without using an automated program to do it for me.

I'm just of the opinion that if the Boxee could do it, and do it well, why would its "parent" XBMC not be able to?

Now that I do have everything in the XBMC format of TV Shows>Show Title>[Season]>files the Boxee didn't even complain about that. It saw all the shows, indexed them by show>season>episode just like it did when all the files were in a jumbled mess.

I'd just like to see XBMC be able to do it should someone have a jumbled mess of TV Shows in a folder, or have them organized another way such as "watched" "not watched" "burn" etc. A sorting that makes sense to the user for some reason but likely not anyone else. It works for them in some way. If XBMC could be made to make sense of the chaos of someone's particular way of sorting something like the Boxee did, I think it would be advantageous to the probable 1% of us that would like to have the option of having it that way.

I'm sure it can be done, but for those that can make it happen it seems like it is not worth looking into doing since it is not the normal or accepted way that XBMC handles it There are programs that can sort your folder mess to conform to XBMC even if that is not the way it ultimately works for the user.
Because not everything that Boxee changed went back into XBMC.

Boxee was such a huge PITA for scraping, it wasn't even funny. It might have worked for you if your source of videos happened to be very consistent, but the general release scene was chaos when it comes to naming conventions.

You also have to understand that you're asking us to do something that you admit maybe only 1% will use, simply because you're lazy, even though it will cause conflicts with other naming conventions. Simply asking for a feature because you want to be lazy is in itself a good way to not motivate anyone to doing a feature request.
We are not Boxee :D
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
lol, good thing in most respects.

I must admit that Boxee was not excellent in indexing Movies - it missed and misidentified a lot due mostly to the naming conventions not being standard, but for TV Shows it was very good. Most release groups for TV Shows at least have the show name, season, and episode number standardized which it could pick up on easily no matter if it was in the root folder, or a sub folder either of or not matching the show name.

I do realize I am asking to implement something that 1% or possibly more of the user base would find beneficial, but that is only because the other 99% have conformed to what XBMC requires for TV Shows to get updated to the library (including me). For instance, I was speaking to a friend who does not like XBMC and prefers the WDTV (I despise that thing) simply because he has a bunch of shows in a root directory that he watches and just deletes. Other shows he keeps around and are stored in another folder, and while organized to his own preference they are not sorted by show name/season. Creating subfolders for those shows that he just deletes once watched is a pain, so having them in a common folder that could be scanned to library for "recently added" would be great under XBMC.

I regret using the word lazy when it comes to organizing my TV Shows the way XBMC likes them. I have conformed to it because I had to, but my preference would be to keep them all as separate files in one directory and let XBMC do the "heavy lifting" in scanning, sorting, and organizing by show title/season/episode instead of another application that will do it and create sub folders for me.

I have all of my movies in one "big folder" except for those that have part 1, part 2 etc, and would just like to be able to do the same with my TV Shows, as I am sure others would find beneficial as well, especially those new to XBMC (which is not me) that do not have a good sorting (yet). For instance MP3's - it is preferred to have them sorted by Artist>Album>Songs...but what if someone only likes one or two songs? Having all of those songs in one folder is normal, and XBMC picks up on the info from the tags and can sort them out. Movies the same thing - one big folder normally. So why not TV Shows?

I don't understand why it would cause conflicts with other naming conventions if able to be implemented, but if it could be done - why not do it especially if it would get those people using WDTV's and the like to send them to the landfills Smile ? The only thing I am lazy with is my file organization....and maybe my dishes Smile LOL

I personally would like to see it, and obviously the originator of this thread too...so there has to be more that would like it too, but have just bent to the needs of XBMC instead of XBMC being customizable WRT this feature request. I'm betting that far more than 1% of the XBMC user base would find such a feature awesome, should it be incorporated.
I'm very late to this thread, but here's a reason that has little to do with being lazy.

All of my TV shows are stored on a hard drive that is accessed by multiple devices in the house. About 80% or more of the TV watching in my house is done by my wife. It's not uncommon for her to watch some of those shows by streaming from the hard drive to her iPad.

Now imagine that you watch about 15-20 different shows at a time and you go into a list to watch and...you've got 30 folders, some of which are empty because the show is on break, and some of which are empty because you're caught up on that show. Thing is, on an ipad, looking at a file list, you can't tell which folders are empty and which are not. So you have to click on each on to see if there's a file inside. Major pain in the ass.

And it's not just an ipad thing. We used to stream to the TV via the Xbox. Again, same problem. You have a list of 30 folders with no way to easily know if the folder is empty. So in order to use XBMC, we have to make our other devices less useful. That's not a feature I like.
And before someone tells me to install XBMC on my wife's ipad

1) I've jailbroken many a device and prefer them that way...but when it comes to my wife's ipad, I don't want to. And to tell the average Joe that "it works -- you just have to jailbreak your device and void the warranty...", well, that generally is okay with me, but that's not a good answer for the general public.

2) If you've got an iOS from the last year or so (6.13 and up), there's not a jailbreak even available, so oh well, too bad for those folks.

3) What do I do about my Xbox? Or PS4? Or Roku? Why do our other streaming devices have to be less useful in order to get XBMC to scrape TV shows?
(2013-10-17, 15:27)AJayy Wrote: And before someone tells me to install XBMC on my wife's ipad

1) I've jailbroken many a device and prefer them that way...but when it comes to my wife's ipad, I don't want to. And to tell the average Joe that "it works -- you just have to jailbreak your device and void the warranty...", well, that generally is okay with me, but that's not a good answer for the general public.

2) If you've got an iOS from the last year or so (6.13 and up), there's not a jailbreak even available, so oh well, too bad for those folks.

3) What do I do about my Xbox? Or PS4? Or Roku? Why do our other streaming devices have to be less useful in order to get XBMC to scrape TV shows?

Sorry to tell you dude but all your problems can be fixed on your end.
I have a setup with sickbeard, xbmc and Plex and literally dont have to do anything else than add a tvshow once in order to download, sort and make it available in my livingroom and on my ipad with scraped info and coverart.

Thats lazy!
XBMC can generate a list of unwatched/recent shows/episodes and send them to unjailbroken iDevices, Rokus, and more, all in a flat view, using UPnP. It works very well.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Scrape different TVShows-Episodes in one big folder0