Suggestions for Prebuilt Solution ???
Hi

I am relativity new to the forums and have been reading extensively. I am looking for some advice and, based on your posts, you are a good person to ask. I am hoping you can help.

I am looking to buy a HTPC for running XBMC and then canceling cable. My requirements and Preferences are listed below. Please make a suggestion(s):

- prefer to buy a HTPC (perhaps nettop?) then to build one due to limited free time. However, if you could help me to select components I could be swayed
- OS: Windows 7 (if included) but willing to try OpenELEC or some other OS, especially it is saves $
- prefer the size of a nettop - intend to wall mount tv and would like to "tuck" behind
- strongly prefer silent or as quiet as possible
- most viewing will be streaming of netflix, youtube and TV shows (through add ons like Free Cable)
- some vieiwng of ripped movies but no immeidate need for an optical drive
- no need for 3D ability but I would want to view up to 1080
- needs to have an HDMI output
- HD size not supper important as I don't intend to store alot. I would guess 200-300GB is good

I have been looking at fully assembled units from Acer ( Veriton n, revo) and Asus (Eee units) but would consider a barebones if the items to add are limited. Any Zotac recommendations?

Thank in advance

J
Toronto, Canada
I think the Zotac Zbox ID42 Intel Core GeForce GT 610 HDMI DVI Bluetooth USB3.0 Barebone Mini PC is a decent choice for your requirements. Altho I cannot comment about its quietness, since I do not have one.
Intel NUC, installing ram + HD will take all of 2 minutes. It meets all of your requirements easily, tons of information on it in these forums.
I'd say an Intel NUC and openelec would a very good choice.
I'd recommend looking into the Acer Revo RL70-UR10P. I have purchased this for 4-5 friends that wanted the same things you described but didn't want to build their own systems.
(2013-03-15, 04:18)Jwan Wrote: - most viewing will be streaming of netflix, youtube and TV shows (through add ons like Free Cable)
- some vieiwng of ripped movies but no immeidate need for an optical drive
- no need for 3D ability but I would want to view up to 1080
- needs to have an HDMI output
- HD size not supper important as I don't intend to store alot. I would guess 200-300GB is good

Given Netflix is one of your requirements, that counts out any Atom (even with the GT610) or Zacate (AMD E-350/E-450) based system. You need at least a Celeron 847 system to show Netflix in HD. There are two threads here you should check out: the Lenovo Q190 thread and the Intel NUC thread.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Suggestions for Prebuilt Solution ???0