[RELEASE] Droid

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
BigNoid Offline
Team-XBMC Member
So I've been working on a skin for some time now that will be optimized for touch controls (mouse works good too, but there will be no "X to close" images in this skin), but must be usable for remote control and must look good as 10 ft interface.
After many redesigns I've finally come to a point where I'm settling on the design. It was meant to be a skin completely in the Holo dark theme from ICS/Jelly Bean, hence the name Droid. It now only shares the framework and font from that theme.
The design uses some textures and inspiration from Aeon Nox and uses some modified icons from Xperience1080.
The focus for this skin is not customization, nor support for every add-on out there. It's main goal is usability.
Only 16:9 resolutions will be supported and it's expected there is a back button on your device/mouse/remote. So basically that means no support for iPad Tongue
I'm testing the skin on a 1280x800 TF-101 tablet (with visible bottom statusbar) and on TV with remote.

to do:
Add native support for Global Search script.

Feedback wanted especially for keyboard nav, touch control and mouse support and how well it runs on different machines.
So get it on official repo

(This post was last modified: 2013-04-11 22:00 by BigNoid.)
find quote
butchabay Offline
Skilled Skinner
Really nice concept ! I really like the idea for the home menu ... great work as usual mate !
find quote
Martijn Offline
Team-XBMC
And why is that dropbox not updated Wink

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forums before posting.
Do NOT e-mail Team-XBMC members asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, make sure you read this first

For your mediacenter artwork go to
[Image: fanarttv.png]
find quote
BigNoid Offline
Team-XBMC Member
(2013-03-15 13:23)butchabay Wrote:  Really nice concept ! I really like the idea for the home menu ... great work as usual mate !

Thx, it was quite a challenge to find a new home layout that works on a tv as well as a tablet

(2013-03-15 13:25)Martijn Wrote:  And why is that dropbox not updated Wink

hehe, link sent Big Grin
find quote
MarcosQui Offline
Skilled Skinner
I think with the popularity of XBMC in portable devices the trend is create skins increasingly smaller, so I believe that your project has everything to go right.

A beautiful skin, congratulations.

------------------------------------------------------

Want to know more about the skin? Liked my work and want contribute?
Visit my website
XBMC Brazilian Community Forum
By making a donation, please do not post in the forum, send me an email or PM, thank you.
find quote
Tobby Offline
Fan
Looks awesome Smile
find quote
BigNoid Offline
Team-XBMC Member
(2013-03-15 17:46)MarcosQui Wrote:  I think with the popularity of XBMC in portable devices the trend is create skins increasingly smaller, so I believe that your project has everything to go right.

A beautiful skin, congratulations.

Thx, yeah with the newer devices supporting hardware acceleration and synced libraries its becoming a more viable solution to run XBMC on tablets instead of using a video/music player.
find quote
Martijn Offline
Team-XBMC
Running it on my Nexus7 tablet it runs nice. Only thing is if you have some thick fingers the small icons are easy to hit and miss.
Other than that it's coming along nicely Smile

EDIT:
especially the small button to set what content it is when adding a new source. changing it to tvshows for example took met 7 hits to get it right. it kept switching between scroll up/down. Same happens with the up/down on the appearance settings. So perhaps 7" is getting a bit small for this skin.

Do NOT e-mail Team-XBMC members asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

(This post was last modified: 2013-03-16 13:17 by Martijn.)
find quote
Swifty Offline
Fan
Love the concept. I have an android tablet in my kitchen with XBMC and find it can be a little awkward with the touchscreen.
Please consider fat fingered users on ~8" tablets Big Grin
find quote
protocol77 Offline
Fan
very interesting concept i am already a big fan of aeon nox so as it says on your avatar you are a (very) skilled skinner i am a eager to see how this skin develops
find quote
BigNoid Offline
Team-XBMC Member
(2013-03-16 12:20)Martijn Wrote:  Running it on my Nexus7 tablet it runs nice. Only thing is if you have some thick fingers the small icons are easy to hit and miss.

EDIT:
especially the small button to set what content it is when adding a new source. changing it to tvshows for example took met 7 hits to get it right. it kept switching between scroll up/down. Same happens with the up/down on the appearance settings. So perhaps 7" is getting a bit small for this skin.
The content dialog is not yet skinned (in fact most of the dialogs arent) and the settings page is still from an older revision. Are the top bar buttons okay on 7"? On my 10" tablet they are just right.

(2013-03-16 12:38)Swifty Wrote:  Love the concept. I have an android tablet in my kitchen with XBMC and find it can be a little awkward with the touchscreen.
Please consider fat fingered users on ~8" tablets Big Grin

Well I only have a 10" tablet to test with, but Martijn will help test it on a 7" tablet.

(2013-03-16 13:08)protocol77 Wrote:  very interesting concept i am already a big fan of aeon nox so as it says on your avatar you are a (very) skilled skinner i am a eager to see how this skin develops
Thx, this will be my first project that I design from ground up so I'm eager to see how it goes too.
find quote
Martijn Offline
Team-XBMC
(2013-03-16 14:04)Big_Noid Wrote:  
(2013-03-16 12:20)Martijn Wrote:  Running it on my Nexus7 tablet it runs nice. Only thing is if you have some thick fingers the small icons are easy to hit and miss.

EDIT:
The content dialog is not yet skinned (in fact most of the dialogs arent) and the settings page is still from an older revision. Are the top bar buttons okay on 7"? On my 10" tablet they are just right.
Jep top bar buttons are small but manageable so don't change.

find quote
hunkyn Offline
Fan
@BN Nice concept and the skin looks great. I also have a TF101 and could definitely help you with testing the skin. Aeon Nox has been my one and only skin since I started using XBMC. I am sure this will also be Aeon Nox for Touch screens down the road.

Intel® Quad Core i5 Sandybridge @3.40GHz | ASRock Z775 Mobo 8GB DDR3 Ram | Logitech K400 Keyboard |
| Logitec Harmony 550 Remote| 46' Samsung LCD TV | Onkyo TX-S605 w/ Bose 5.1 Surround
(This post was last modified: 2013-03-16 15:39 by hunkyn.)
find quote
MarcosQui Offline
Skilled Skinner
Quote:...this will be my first project that I design from ground up....

You have no idea how good it is... Wink I wish lucky to you. Nod

------------------------------------------------------

Want to know more about the skin? Liked my work and want contribute?
Visit my website
XBMC Brazilian Community Forum
By making a donation, please do not post in the forum, send me an email or PM, thank you.
find quote
BigNoid Offline
Team-XBMC Member
@hunkyn: Thx, I'll certainly need more testers down the road, but I should at least have all dialogs and windows skinned for proper testing. I'll post here when those are done.

Some more screenies. Fullscreen video/ Pause screen, osd, bookmarks and settings:

find quote