PVR development roadmap
Hi,

Sorry if this has been asked before, or if the answer already exists... I haven't found it yet.

Is there a published roadmap of PVR development over the next few years? I.e. what the XBMC team would like to see implemented? At the moment I am using MP due to the Live TV functionality being fantastic... However I would like to drop windows for the clients and run on arm powered Linux machines instead. XBMC is perfect in that respect, but it appears that I cannot see the direction of the PVR work and whether it will match the experience that MediaPortal provides at present.

Thanks for your time.

Chris
Hi,

I can't answer your question but I am intrigued to find out what things would you be looking for to see on the development roadmap.

I have a XBMC setup using the Argus PVR addin for my live TV and I have to say I'm pretty happy with the result. Always some tweaking to do but it works well.

I admit that my Live TV demands are not huge and I do find the setup, scheduling ability and the Web Access from Argus TV pretty awesome and now with the Live TV functionally in XBMC I can not see a reason to go back to MP of which I briefly dabbled in and couple of years ago. Apart from some fine tuning with the PVR piece what other PVR functionality does XBMC need that MP currently has ?

You know the things I mean. Functionality that I don't know about yet but will desperately need once I hear about them.
In my house, my Sky box has been relegated and all TV functions are undertaken by the HTPC. In this role, it needs full access to scheduling within the client so my partner can use it that is one of the key things, which from what I have read will be coming at some point.

I guess I'm hoping that XBMC will have a decent 'EPG' timeline as the current one seems a little less 'organic' (i.e. scrolling around is quite blocky, not enough choice of length of time to be displayed mp scales from 45m up to 2hrs I believe etc) , not that I could do anything mind so don't take this as a criticism Team XBMC! If you look at the MP Mantis tracker it gives you indications of problems and future work so I was hoping that there might be something like that floating around.

In order for XBMC to be useable by the family it needs to act like a set-top box with a large timeline based epg, full scheduling from the client. I realise some of the skinning can improve this, but I feel confluence needs to be the best example of TV implementation & functionality and then allow other skins to take inspiration from it.

Chris
The lack of automatic series recording (as well as recording management, e.g. set the news to record every day and be deleted when the next one is available) is a sticking point for me. It's one of a small number of things that force me to keep using WMC most of the time.

That and the slow channel changes on windows, but I gather that's being worked on.
(2013-03-17, 06:02)hedgepigdaniel Wrote: The lack of automatic series recording (as well as recording management, e.g. set the news to record every day and be deleted when the next one is available) is a sticking point for me. It's one of a small number of things that force me to keep using WMC most of the time.

That and the slow channel changes on windows, but I gather that's being worked on.
It all depends on the backend - ArgusTV f.e. has the automatic series recording feature (not exposed to XBMC as it lacks backend specific timer options atm) and channel switches are ok. From the backends I tested so far, I got the fastest channel switches with tvheadend though. From what I read, backends with own demuxers will always have faster channel switches as they know their internal stream structure while for other backends XBMCs default demuxer first has to analyze the stream.

@roadmap
I don't think something like this exists atm - at least nothing written down - dushmaniac/opdenkamp could tell more.
I would like to see pvr module for iptv. There are so many video plugins, some of them offers recording (not unified), others use tvguide plugin to show epg. Pvr already have recordings, scheduling, epg (could be better - see mentioned plugin). All this infrastructure should be enabled for plugins, so there would be no difference if stream is from internet, cable or air. You could record any of them, browse it's epg (if delivered) etc.
There is also need to better integrate pvr and database. It should be possible to scrape epg (often epg offers only a few words) or even scan epg/video plugin content to database (there is plugin which can do that for hulu etc).
You should see in epg which movies/shows you already have in library/watched.
They should be something like trakt.tv integrated, so watch status of movie removed from library shouldn't be forgotten.
there's a small roadmap document on my desktop with things that i'd like to pick up, but there's no timeline, so nothing interesting for you guys in there.
number 1 on the list is refactoring all the data updates, removing all the Trigger...Update() methods from the API and replacing it with proper async updates.
opdenkamp / dushmaniac

xbmc-pvr [Eden-PVR builds] [now included in mainline XBMC, so no more source link here :)]
personal website: [link]

Found a problem with PVR? Report it on Trac, under "PVR - core components". Please attach the full debug log.

If you like my work, please consider donating to me and/or Team XBMC.
Hi Opdenkamp,

I guess even a roadmap without timeline would be cool, just to see the direction of the PVR work and when it might be able to replace MediaPortal for me (as those low powered quad core arm linux clients really float my boat for a simple frontend!).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
PVR development roadmap0