Linux [HOW-TO][FRODO] Configure XBOX 360 Wireless Controller
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Xbo...or_Windows

I just installed xboxdrv and ran
Code:
sudo xboxdrv --mimic-xpad
works fine.
guys sorry i am looking at getting started with using controlles to play roms with the wifey. but we would need controllers i have a few xbox 360 controllers liying around and would like to know so i just not use these can get some generic simple USB ones online ?
What do you want to know exactly?
teeedubb, well i want to know what is it easier to just get a usb controller of the eBay, for my XBMCBuntu Linux or is it easier to configure an xbox controller.
Are all generic USB based controllers all plug and play in linux.
I guess it depends on which controller you get. 360 controller is plug and play, although if you want the 2 triggers to work you need to follow the instructions in this thread. Probably easier (and cheaper) to use your 360 pad working, who knows if you won't have to configure a pad you get off eBay .
teeedubb, thanks for that i have a few xbox controllers laying around. i only want to use them to play snes and nes, sega cd, capcom play system and so on. if it is plug and play i will order a wireless things for my controller
hi everyone sorry but i hit another snag with getting this running.
i have ran the command sudo echo "blacklist xpad" >> /etc/doprobe.d/blacklist but i will get the return of permission denied.
so i tried to give my username root access with sudo useradd -G root wrk13s
but then i get wrk13s is not in the sudoers file. this incident will be reported
so i figured ok i will add my self to that
so i ran usermod -a -G sudo wrk13s
then i got usermod: cannot lock /etc/passwd; try again later

and now i am stuck hahaha. so any advice would be great.
Im having problems getting past step 5. Im using putty to type in the commands and when i paste in the script im not sure how to get out or save the file. nothing seems to work.
Well I got stuck on the permission part of blacklisting xpad. I am able to just go the directory and vi blacklist.conf and add "blacklist xpad" but it wont stick because I don't have permission. I try to figure this out for a long time, and being that XBMCuntu has a few differnet logins under the same user (I did the HD install) so I picked my own username and pass. BUT when I try to run "su " in terminal, the password IS NOT the password that I set with my username. I cant figure out what the password is also...I can login but only under my username, not under root. SO I just skipped this step, because in XBMCuntu 12.2, when I ran "rmmod xpad " it said that it was not running, also I ran another command which told me that xpad is not in the modules...which means that it's not being load, so no need to blacklist it. I am very new to all this so this is just what I got out of it. I think if you just skip that step and keep going that it will work fine, it did for me. At the very end when you try to restart the service for xboxdrv-rc it kills the controller but then tries to restart the, when it does this is asks for the Password again..which is the root password..which I don't have.. so I just ran the command , entered two bad passwords, then reset the computer and it loaded the xbox controller when xbmcuntu started. Since it started into xbmcuntu and not XBMC then I just logged out then re logged in as XBMC, then rebooted form XBMC and it loaded the controller and loaded into XBMC...I think it still loaded the controller in xbmcuntu when it started which makes me confused on the whole " it should just start with XBMC user " but then again im new and very confused as it is.

Jimbo2008 , could be needed to be out of insert mode in VI, or it could be that you don't have permission so it wont let you save changes and exit.
hi jamesoncomputer same issue as me also. so i have now just unplugged it and am not longer using this method i will see if a wired controller does the same thing,
I only can see my wireless xbox controller (and it pairs) when I run: sudo xboxdrv --wid 0 -c /usr/share/doc/xboxdrv/examples/xbmc.xboxdrv

When I reboot, the controller is basically dead unless I run the above command. I have run all the commands successfully from your guide and reverified that the startup service is there. Not sure why its not running.

I do see however that when i run the top command, that xbmc is running under 'user' and not 'xbmc' so i tried to edit the script to reflect the 'user' as the user the script starts under and it does not work either. Im running xbmcubuntu 12.3, not sure if that makes a differance.

Any suggestions?
If someone is using Gotham comment out this two lines in /home/xbmc/.xbmc/userdata/keymaps/MyXBMC.xboxdrv

#LT^resp:127:255=ABS_Z
#RT^resp:127:255=ABS_RZ

The bug seems to be resolved in Gotham release.
I get an error when i try to blacklist xpad

xbmc@xbmc:~$ sudo echo "blacklist xpad" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
-bash: /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist: Permission denied

does that mean xpad is already gone? besides that everything worked fine until step 7

(2013-03-18, 01:13)Firas.AlShafei Wrote: 7 - Test with XBMC
To test we'll need to start the service and restart the xbmc process. You could restart the box or issue these commands:
Code:
service xboxdrv-rc restart
sudo killall -HUP xbmc.bin

when i type service xboxdrv-rc restart
I get
/etc/init.d/xboxdrv-rc: 1: /etc/init.d/xboxdrv-rc: N: not found
/etc/init.d/xboxdrv-rc: 41: /etc/init.d/xboxdrv-rc: Syntax error: "(" unexpected
Replaced below
so I've followed the walkthrough here.

if I run xboxdrv directly from shell, then all of the controller inputs scroll up as being detected, however after copying the init.d script and trying to run it, I get the following error

Code:
xbmc@xbmc:~$ sudo service xboxdrv-rc restart
[sudo] password for xbmc:
Wireless Controller #0 is not running
Wireless Controller #1 is not running
Loading uinput module
Starting Wireless Controller #0
Starting Wireless Controller #1
xbmc@xbmc:~$

-- [ ERROR ] ------------------------------------------------------
-- [ ERROR ] ------------------------------------------------------
unknown section: ''