XBMC restarts frequently-low memory?
I have seen 2 cases (about 6 times this weekend), where raspbmc restarts. And 1 where the system reboots from scratch

Running downloads for a long time in XBMC caused the reboot of the entire system.

Enumerating lists, like TV Shows or Movies have caused Raspbmc to restart. I alsoe saw it count the number of movies wrong right before the restart. (There were 356 movies, it showed 20 as the count and about 20 random objects. As soon as I tried to scroll right, it restarted XBMC).
A reboot is usually provoked by too high an overclock, or an insufficient power supply.
Can you disable overclock and confirm it still fails. Measuring voltage could identify a power supply problem:
http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting#T...r_problems

If both those are okay, then it may be an out of memory issue. Enabling swap is one solution. That's a distribution question. Try here:
http://forum.stmlabs.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=7
(2013-03-18, 20:37)popcornmix Wrote: A reboot is usually provoked by too high an overclock, or an insufficient power supply.
Can you disable overclock and confirm it still fails. Measuring voltage could identify a power supply problem:

If both those are okay, then it may be an out of memory issue. Enabling swap is one solution. That's a distribution question. Try here:

Yes, I'll cut the clocks to standard for a few days, see if it stabilizes. Thanks
(2013-03-18, 21:24)philhu Wrote:
(2013-03-18, 20:37)popcornmix Wrote: A reboot is usually provoked by too high an overclock, or an insufficient power supply.

Yes, I'll cut the clocks to standard for a few days, see if it stabilizes. Thanks

Hi, I lowered my clocks and these memory or whatever problems still happen. I really think it is memory or something with memory leaks because, for grins, I installed a swapfile which seems to have made the problems happen less often, but over a few days, my system just gets slower and slower until I reboot or it reboots. (I added a 256m swapfile on a USB installation).

I also posted another message about swapfile and the rPI doing nothing at all but running, for days, and my watching the space used in the swapfile increasing slowly over time by ssh'ing in and doing a 'free' command.

My clocks are standard, my power supply is more robust than required. It does seems to be ememory-related as the rPi does not have alot of extra memory to play with.

Right now, after 2 days of doing nothing on this rPi, this is my free count:
Code:
root@raspbmc:/usr/local/bin# free
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:        384468     345796      38672          0      38608      74804
-/+ buffers/cache:     232384     152084
Swap:       255996        332     255664

Tomorrow, it will be around 505 and day after 740 or so. It seems to go exponential after that, 1000,2200,3800, then it usually dies or typing anything or bringing up a xbmc menu hangs or reboots at that point.

The question being, if it is not designed for swapfiles, why is it using any?

One interesting point. On another rPi, I cut down my CIFS mounts from 5 to 1 with links. I was pointing at different movie,tv,stub, etc directories as different mounts. Now I mount the drive and then use ln links to point to the correct place on it. That seems to have stabilized it quite a bit. Not completely but alot. Maybe disk buffer manipulation?

I do not know the internal code, but as a developer in Linux, have seen my share of memory/disk issues and this just seems exactly to be one.
Anyone looking at this or comment?
Are you on a 256 or 512mb Pi? I had similar issues when running Sabnzb-Suite on OE. Using rbej's build (128mb swap) and lowering the GPU mem split to give the CPU more ram stopped the crashes.

What theme are you using? In my experience most crashes are related to one of two things, too high an OC or the UI trying to manage too much texture data and being unable to cope with large quantities. If you are using a complex skin try swapping to a more basic one (Quartz Reloaded, Quartz, Confluence, etc) and see if that helps.

I ended up moving Sab to a second headless Pi running Raspbian (max ram to CPU) to free up resources, Pi's are great as single use appliances but if you try to cram too many services onto one they choke. I'd also recommend using OpenELEC if your Pi is only a media center. It boots in a fraction of the time, runs faster, and is more stable then Raspbmc.
(2013-04-02, 16:47)spjonez Wrote: Are you on a 256 or 512mb Pi? I had similar issues when running Sabnzb-Suite on OE. Using rbej's build (128mb swap) and lowering the GPU mem split to give the CPU more ram stopped the crashes.

What theme are you using? In my experience most crashes are related to one of two things, too high an OC or the UI trying to manage too much texture data and being unable to cope with large quantities. If you are using a complex skin try swapping to a more basic one (Quartz Reloaded, Quartz, Confluence, etc) and see if that helps.

I ended up moving Sab to a second headless Pi running Raspbian (max ram to CPU) to free up resources, Pi's are great as single use appliances but if you try to cram too many services onto one they choke. I'd also recommend using OpenELEC if your Pi is only a media center. It boots in a fraction of the time, runs faster, and is more stable then Raspbmc.

I have model b, 512meg

Cool. I will have my second one tomorrow. I'll do Raspbian / OpenElec on it. Is there any way to move my XBMC databases to the new one? I've done a tone of updates to my collection in there. And also, OpenELEC is a full XBMC correct? The second would then be headless as you said, so very little memory allocated to a video output. I will use ssh to do setups, configs as well as the SB/SAB/CP web screens, correct?
(2013-04-02, 17:19)philhu Wrote:
(2013-04-02, 16:47)spjonez Wrote: Are you on a 256 or 512mb Pi? I had similar issues when running Sabnzb-Suite on OE. Using rbej's build (128mb swap) and lowering the GPU mem split to give the CPU more ram stopped the crashes.

I have model b, 512meg

Cool. I will have my second one tomorrow. I'll do Raspbian / OpenElec on it. Is there any way to move my XBMC databases to the new one? I've done a tone of updates to my collection in there. And also, OpenELEC is a full XBMC correct? The second would then be headless as you said, so very little memory allocated to a video output. I will use ssh to do setups, configs as well as the SB/SAB/CP web screens, correct?
Yes you can export your library through XBMC then import it back in. Yes OE is a very small (90mb), very fast embedded distro and is updated very frequently. I'd recommend using rbej's builds I linked above it has XBMC 12.1, swap, and a slew of other fixes included. He posts new builds every few days, watch the thread for updates. Updating OE is a lot like flashing firmware on other devices, you drop 4 files in the update folder it shares and reboot.

For my TV Pi I did a 256/256 split and use a USB thumb drive for storage (artwork etc). My Raspbian is 16/496 (minimum you can do) and has two external HD's plugged into it that are shared using Samba. I used this guide to install Sab/SB/CP: http://www.cylindric.net/blog/raspberrypi-setup/ Only issue is the CP startup script, there's a typo check the comments for the fix. You config through their web GUI's and can update each app through them as well. I also run a personal ownCloud server on that Pi (http://www.instructables.com/id/Raspberr...one/#step1) and I haven't had any issues streaming ~20gb 1080p files to my TV Pi's.

If you can find one of these, Lexar Echo ZX (16/32gb) I'd buy a few. They are near HD speeds for read/write and that way you can keep your media centralized/shared and use OE Pi's as streaming devices. With a 900mhz OC and one of those thumb drives I've used the Aeon Nox theme and it runs surprisingly well. Currently I'm using reFocus BIG since it has a companion theme for Navi-X and media views are very smooth. I have about 3.5TB of media loaded into XBMC.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC restarts frequently-low memory?2