A strange request
Hey Guys,

I'm writing to the community as a whole, as I have come up with a (possibly very stupid) idea. I've managed to get my mother in-law working with XBMC (Congrats to the team for making this so easy to use she can) so I'm feeling pretty happy with myself right about now, so I've moved onto the next one on the list. Her Mother.

Grandma (in-law) lives in my mother in-law's house and is pretty much confined to her room, she's currently 93 years old and well... age takes it's toll. The house itself is wired up relatively nicely, cable in 2 rooms, etc. But the poor gal's only got basic freeview in her room (none of the PVR stuff that I take for granted these days) so I am currently in the process of digitising all her old videos and DVD's and I will buy her a Raspberry Pi to plug into her TV, MCE Remote so she can operate it with all the bells and whistles.

I have a few caveat's in my plan though and I'm hoping you guys can help me through it. I haven't done any research thus far (outside of what I already know about XBMC by using it for <insert number between 5-7> years) and if it fails, perhaps there will be things we can do to make it work.

These are the problems I've thought up thus far:

Do MCE remote's tend to have "power" buttons on them? The tvservice command on the Raspberry Pi will allow me to control the HDMI signal going to the TV to give at least a perceived sense of actually turning on and off. If so am I also able to control this button via lirc.conf or from within XBMC?

I also fear the default theme Confluence (which is my default theme everywhere) may be a little daunting for her to use, there's a lot of areas she would never need to go to and I would rather her not see them as being told to not go somewhere will scare her into not touching it at all.
Is there a theme better suited to this scenario? Are there things I can do to Confluence in order to "lock it down" enough to where I don't tell her not to touch something?

If there's any other problems you can think of please also point them out, I may be reaching a little too far, but I do believe XBMC can do it.

Thanks everyone, I look forward to your responces

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
A strange request0