Galaxy S2 - stream iso files - suggestions?
Sort of off-topic but this forum seemed as good as any. Have searched the web, tried many things, hoping someone here might have a suggestion.

Samsung Galaxy S2 running AOKP jellybean

unRaid server hosting a couple of thousand movies, mostly DVD's, stored in iso format.

Goal is to watch unRaid movies on Galaxy S2 phone. Smile Sounds simple enough!

I haven't had much luck with the various android XBMC builds, including many XDA nightlies, all release candidates, and now the official Frodo. It installs fine, will play other file types fine, but will only play a small fraction (like 1%) of my iso collection. The remainder "crash" back to XBMC or even back to the phone GUI home screen. This has been the situation for several months now, figure it might take a long time or perhaps never for XBMC to play iso's properly on this device so exploring alternatives.

Tried installing VLC on another "always on" computer sitting next to the unRaid server, mapping the unRaid movies directory to that computer, then using VLC's transcode ability to try and stream content to my phone. After trying every VLC client I could find in Google Play, the closest I came is one what will start the movie then just sit at the main menu. No way I can find to select the main movie or just tell it to "play." VLC viewer clients seem designed to stream a single file, not remotely navigate a DVD menu structure.

Tried installing the (not available in the Google Play store) full android VLC application... has an iso player built in supposedly. Looks like this only works for local content, so far no way to add/play networked media.

Looked at PLEX - doesn't support iso streaming to android.

Have tried using MX Player Pro to play a network file after locating through ES Explorer. Didn't work - can't remember at the moment what the problem was.

Installed Gmote server but had no success - again not sure at the moment what the problem was.

Surely there should be a way to do this. The last two options I thought were promising, but I'll have to revisit them (been a few weeks since I tried) to jog the memory on what the problem was. I know the S2 isn't the latest greatest phone, but should have plenty of power I would think to handle SD DVD decoding. I could just want 6-12 months until I upgrade and hope that + xbmc/android maturation fixes the issue, but I'll pass this S2 on to my kids at that point and having it play their kids library would still really be nice.

Any suggestions?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Galaxy S2 - stream iso files - suggestions?0