Help No sound with Samsung HDTV
Hello

I have a really strange problem with no sound, I just created my second Ubuntu 12.10 minimal / XBMC V12.0 HTPC. I used an existing Windows MCE PC I had and formatted the drive and setup Ubuntu / XBMC. Actually I cloned my first Ubuntu / XBMC PC which has the same internal hardware, using Acronis True Image 2013 which worked well with Linux !

Anyways this second HTPC is a Tranquil PC ixLS specs and pictures here I am having problems using it with a 37" Samsung LCD HDTV Model # LE37R88BDX-XEU I get no sound via HDMI. I have the PC connected directly to the Samsung TV. I have tried 3 HDMI cables and 2 different HDMI ports on the Samsung TV.

If I play a music album I hear nothing, but if I turn up or down the volume on the TV set, for a split second I can hear the music.

My settings in XBMC can be seen in the screen shots:

This is an older Samsung TV and is not 1080P. So I have the resolution set to 720P. The Monitor setting no matter what is always set to HDMI3. Its the same on my other XBMC PC that is always HDMI3. Not sure what this setting is or how it changes ?

I have tried with the Boost Volume Level on Down Mix - On and Off and with Output Stereo to all Speakers - On and Off.
I have not selected any of the options for capable receiver as there isn't one, just the Samsung TV. But its the same problem if DD and DTS are turned on.

There doesn't appear to be an option to turn bit-streaming off ? So I have set it to the other PC audio SPDIF device which is not being used. I am just using the HDMI port.

I have tried uninstalling and re-installing the Intel Graphics drivers.

If I take this Tranquil HTPC downstairs and plug it in to my 42" LG LED HDTV it works perfectly and I get sound via the HDMI cable out of the TV's speakers no problems.

The upstairs Samsung TV has worked perfectly well with a Windows MCE PC connected to it via HDMI cable previously.

I have messed about with all the audio settings on the TV itself but made no difference.

Anyone else seen similar issues like this? any ideas? as I am stuck now.

EDIT:

I guess I should try taking the HTPC in the living room and connecting to Samsung TV in the bedroom. I bet I have the same problem with that PC. Its something to do with the Samsung TV set and it not liking something about XBMC's output.

Many thanks.
Have you tried changing the audio output from HDMI to analog in the audio settings? (Second picture)
Hello

Thank you for your help!

I have changed the setting to Analog and this then greys out the pass through option which is good. However after a restart the XBMC PC / Samsung TV are still not working together and there is no sound whilst playing an album.

If I turn volume up on the TV set I hear music for split second then as I keep pressing volume up I can hear crackling / hissing type noise hard to explain.

Strangely if I change the aspect ratio on the TV Set from Just Scan through 16:9 4:3 Zoom etc each time I do this I hear the music for a split second also.
The assumption that the hardware is same may be false, when the fact is unless same machine different revisions to hardware components may apply, a small variation may be enough to throw the clone image out..

Only posted to point this out as I have nothing else to offer except the basic motions of unmutting channels and purging/reinsatlling alsa-utils and libasound2

uNi
(2013-03-19, 15:24)uNiversal Wrote: The assumption that the hardware is same may be false, when the fact is unless same machine different revisions to hardware components may apply, a small variation may be enough to throw the clone image out..

Only posted to point this out as I have nothing else to offer except the basic motions of unmutting channels and purging/reinsatlling alsa-utils and libasound2

uNi

Yes I get what your saying about the hardware and cloning. But the newly cloned HTPC would not work OK downstairs on the LG TV if there was a problem some where with the audio software.

It just doesn't like to play with my Samsung TV upstairs for some reason. I just went in to the service menu on the Samsung TV and reset to factory defaults, its scanning for TV channels now will test with XBMC again when its finished.

Bugger its just the same after a factory reset.

I might have to try a 3.5 mm analogue out of the PC to Red/White RCA audio in on the back of the TV, not sure what else to do, I've never had a problem like this before with Windows HTPCs.
If you have not done it, you have to make sure that "Speaker Configuration" is set to 2.0. Your Frodo audio output should look very similar to the screenshot below (you can try Analog/DirectSound combo too), and you have to make sure that HDMI audio output is selected in Windows control panel-

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
First I think the OP is using Linux not windows.

And just noticed that second screenshot the passtrough is spdif while it is really supposed to be hdmi since this is the likel method of connecting to tv.

uNi
(2013-03-19, 17:44)uNiversal Wrote: First I think the OP is using Linux not windows.

And just noticed that second screenshot the passtrough is spdif while it is really supposed to be hdmi since this is the likel method of connecting to tv.

uNi

I set it to be the SPDIF device because I thought Pass through should not be set to HDMI ? As there is no AVR and the TV set cant decode the DD & DTS audio etc. So when connecting PC directly to HDTV via HDMI cable you don't want pass through you want the PC to decode the audio - or least thats how we use to set the Windows MCE PCs up. You would only allow pass through if there was an AVR in the loop.

As a test I am trying to now connect the cloned PC to another Samsung TV Set a smaller 19" one, however that TV says mode not supported, because the screen resolution in XBMC must be too high. I cant see the XBMC UI on the screen, is there a config file where I can set and force the screen resolution to something lower in size?

Many thanks guys for your help!
Connected back to the 37" Samsung TV now, setting the Audio Output Device and the Passthrough Output Device to both be:
HDA Intel PCH. SAM SAMSUNG ON HDMI doesn't make any difference same problem happens.

I really need to try this cloned PC on another TV set other than my working LG and not working Samsung.

My Dad has a 37" Samsung TV which is a different model to mine I might go take that from his house tomorrow whilst he's out LOL and do some tests with it.

The problem is either:

1. Something wrong with my 37" Samsung TV and the cloned XBMC PC
2. Or as Uni suggested something funky with the cloning process has affected the audio software .
3. The audio settings in XBMC are not correct (I think they are OK as the cloned PC works fine with the 42" LG TV)

What would be the proper way to go about "purging/reinstalling alsa-utils and libasound2"

Cheers
Have you tried deleting the Userdata folder so you do the XBMC configuration from scratch? What I'm assuming here is that the image used to clone the PC included XBMC already configured with settings from the other PC.
(2013-03-19, 18:42)jjd-uk Wrote: Have you tried deleting the Userdata folder so you do the XBMC configuration from scratch? What I'm assuming here is that the image used to clone the PC included XBMC already configured with settings from the other PC.

Yes PC # 1 was in my living room and was all setup with Ubuntu / XBMC etc. I then used True Image to create a backup of the entire hard drive.
I then restored that image on to PC #2 in my bedroom, which has the same Intel itx motherboard.

I did change some settings on the new clone PC like the hostname, static IP address and the name in XBMC that Airplay picks up.

I have not tried deleting the userdata folder on the cloned PC.
I'm just wondering if something to do with your LG has made it's way into one of the Userdata xml files, for example the guisettings.xml file.

Perhaps try backing up the Userdata folder then first try deleting the guisettings.xml and if no different then delete the whole folder.
OK I just got the cloned XBMC PC working with the 19" Samsung TV in my daughters room!! Sound comes out of TV Speakers fine via HDMI cable from PC.

So that is now two TV's that the cloned XBMC PC works with, the 19" Samsung and the 42" LG.

But the TV I need to have it working with the 37" Samsung in my bedroom does not work, sods law!

This to me indicates that there isn't an issue with the cloning process as the cloned PC works OK with two different TV sets.

It also indicates the audio settings I have in XBMC are OK for just a straight HDMI connection from PC to TV.

So I am left with the fact that the cloned PC just does not want to play nice with the 37" Samsung TV set.

Even though I have had zero issues with same PC and same TV when running Windows 7 and MCE.

Told you it was a strange issue!
So your saying that deleting the userdata folder and setting it up again has no effect?

uNi
Could be an EDID issue between the PC and that particular TV Huh

Could be still worth doing what I suggest with the Userdata just to be absolutely sure nothing from the cloning process has left something in one of the xml's that the HDMI link to that TV doesn't agree with.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help No sound with Samsung HDTV0