OSX 10.5.8
No, its an Intel mac. Doesn't matter too much though because I have XBMC up and running on it by using XBMC 11 (eden).

It's all good.
(2013-03-24, 17:23)ElmoSuper8 Wrote: Hi, I already fixed it by installing XBMC version 11 (Eden), works great.

I had a MAC OSX install disc a while ago, i think it was 10.6, it was from our Imac, but when I tried to install it on my macbook pro (from 2006) it said that it couldnt be installed on that hardware. I also remember reading somewhere around that time that the particular architecture of my macbookpro couldnt support an operating system higher than 10.5.8. This could very well be false, but at the time I just left it and moved on. It could be the case that the OSX 10.6 I was trying to install wouldnt install because it was designed only for an imac, however I have installed Imac software on other types of macs before. I'll look into it further and post back.

Thanks for all the responses to my original post. XBMC is pretty amazing.

Cheers.

You can't use an OS X install disc from another Mac because it's specific to that Mac, for licensing reasons. In other words, you have to actually buy OS 10.6 or otherwise get a normal retail install disc.
Thanks Ned, thought it might be that, but ever since I've been using a mac (1999) I have constantly used install discs from other computers and its been fine. I think in a lot of cases it can work but in some cases like this one (using an imac install disc on a macbookpro) the hardware architecture on both computers might be quite different and so the install disc won't work.

I think it may be something Apple has been working towards over the past 5 or so years to ensure, like you say, that the install disc is tied to the specific mac model it comes with for licensing issues, therefore its probably not as common these days to be able to use an OS from an imac on a macbook pro.

Cheers.
I was very rushed when I tried to upgrade the OS all those months ago, so I've just retraced my steps. It wasn't the install disc from the old Imac that I used because I see that the Imac is only running on 10.5.8. The install disc I must have tried was from a modern 13" macbook pro and it was 10.6.3, so I would guess the reason it didn't install is because you can't go straight from 10.5.8 to 10.6.3, you need to go to 10.6.0 first.

My mistake, sorry to have wasted your time gentlemen, and thanks for all your advice in trying to help me get this sorted. Anyway, at least I got XBMC up and running; quite an amazing piece of software, makes itunes etc. look like a joke!

Cheers.
I have an Intel iMac running 10.5.8 Leopard. I just purchased the 10.6.3 Snow Leopard upgrade CD from Apple. Microsoft Office 2008 is installed on my iMac. If I upgrade to 10.6.3, will Office still work or will i have to reinstall it? Will I lose any of my other applications?
You'll lose support for any app that only runs on PPC Macs (Rosetta was removed in 10.6). MS Office 2008 has Intel code, though, so it should be fine.
(2013-04-11, 01:01)Ned Scott Wrote: You'll lose support for any app that only runs on PPC Macs (Rosetta was removed in 10.6). MS Office 2008 has Intel code, though, so it should be fine.

I think you can (re)install Rosetta on 10.6.3 .
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

(2013-04-11, 14:11)pecinko Wrote:
(2013-04-11, 01:01)Ned Scott Wrote: You'll lose support for any app that only runs on PPC Macs (Rosetta was removed in 10.6). MS Office 2008 has Intel code, though, so it should be fine.

I think you can (re)install Rosetta on 10.6.3 .

Ah, you are correct. It was 10.7 when it was finally removed completely.
(2013-04-11, 00:49)Squashplayer Wrote: I have an Intel iMac running 10.5.8 Leopard. I just purchased the 10.6.3 Snow Leopard upgrade CD from Apple. Microsoft Office 2008 is installed on my iMac. If I upgrade to 10.6.3, will Office still work or will i have to reinstall it? Will I lose any of my other applications?

i dont have any real mac experience but with most os's an upgrade will leave installed programs in-tact (and usually update installed software to the latest versions).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OSX 10.5.80