• 19(current)
Ability to share and synchronize XBMC userdata profiles between multiple machines
Well, the slowness seems to be isolated to my mac. When I connect from my wife's Windows 7 laptop everything works great. I've noticed that XBMC seems to lag in general though, so I'm wondering if its not just something weird with the latest builds. I mean, they are, afterall, not recommended. I'm going to give the skip name resolve tip a go to see if that does anything though.

UPDATE: Adding skip-name-resolve to the my.ini file resolved the issue, thanks lalaw. Now XBMC starts up quick and connects to the database very quickly. Now I just need to setup thumbnail support. So far I've been using Sugarsync, but that quickly overwhelms the cpu on my atom, so I may try one of the other methods.
In my home network I don't have consistent path names to the file server from all client machines. The linux htpc boots via nfs and accesses the media files via nfs mount, so media files are located at /some/mount/point, but from windows clients the same files can only be addressed via smb:// or a drive letter. Impossible to share the existing xbmc profile/database.

My first try was to clone the database using sqlite terminal frontend and rewriting path names with sed on the fly, but then I learned that thumbnails are tied to path names too. Therefore I wrote a script which not only clones the database, rewriting path names as necessary, but also recalculates all thumb and fanart file names accordingly and builds a copy of the thumbnail cache matching the cloned database.

If someone is interested I can clean up the script somewhat and share it here.
I have 2 systems I'd like to sync; XBMC for Windows and XBMC Live. Couldn't I just sync the userdata folders from each system using Dropbox? It seems so simple, I doubt it would work the way I imagine Big Grin

Also I have no idea how to install/configure Dropbox in XBMC Live. Any suggestions?

NS
ive seen a dropbox tutorial somewhere here at the forum, but i think its not so easy as you think. if xbmc live supports dropbox... no clue sorry
-= XBMC Lover © 2006 =-
---------------------------------------
XBMC @ Lenovo Q180, harmony one, Sony Bravia KDL-55W905, Marantz SR5006, MySQL XBMC Database @ Synology DS-409+ (thx Firnsy)
XBMC @ Lenovo Q150 and a Panasonic Plasma for bedrooming ;)
ringgh0st Wrote:dropbox tutorial

Looks like this thread is what you were talking about. No mention of using Live, and unfortunately I'm not Linux-savvy enough to pull this off.

I've also thought of using SyncToy for syncing profiles between multiple Windows machines on the same network (not my scenario).

Just kinda thinking out loud. Sorry to threadjack!
NS
no prob man. i also have a crossplattform xbmc solution at home and i was looking for a way to always have anything in sync.

You only need the Database Folder located in the Userdata Folder not the whole userdata.

for you the symlink way should work. did you tried it?
-= XBMC Lover © 2006 =-
XBMC @ Lenovo Q180, harmony one, Sony Bravia KDL-55W905, Marantz SR5006, MySQL XBMC Database @ Synology DS-409+ (thx Firnsy)
ringgh0st Wrote:no prob man. i also have a crossplattform xbmc solution at home and i was looking for a way to always have anything in sync.

You only need the Database Folder located in the Userdata Folder not the whole userdata.

for you the symlink way should work. did you tried it?

No, "real life" has gotten in the way of my hobbies lately. If I get it working, I'll post the results here. Thanks again for the tips!

NS
does mysql implementation also works in the latest nightly? i installed it (17.06.2010 svn) but xbmc seems to not recognize the advancedsettings.xml anymore? any tipps?
-= XBMC Lover © 2006 =-
Hi all, I've been looking forward to this idea of a shared DB for a long time.

I have 6 XBMC LIVE 9.11 running on 3600 Revos. All device look at a single media NAS Synology DS410J (which can run SQL, I think...)

Can I use the method in the previous pages to work with LIVE?

Cheers.
Fliposide Wrote:Hi all, I've been looking forward to this idea of a shared DB for a long time.

I have 6 XBMC LIVE 9.11 running on 3600 Revos. All device look at a single media NAS Synology DS410J (which can run SQL, I think...)

Can I use the method in the previous pages to work with LIVE?

Cheers.
should be possible if you can add a advancedsetttings.xml in the livesys
-= XBMC Lover © 2006 =-
Hi.
@charrua I did what you said on post #23: I already had a mysql server on my homeserver. Simply created a user xbmc with xbmc as password and full privileges.

Then went to my profile xbmc folder under /userdata/ and created the advanced settings xml with this in it »

<videodatabase>
<type>mysql</type>
<host>192.168.1.150</host>
<port>3306</port>
<user>xbmc</user>
<pass>xbmc</pass>
<name>xbmc_video</name>
</videodatabase>

I backed up my /database/ folder and exported the database on xbmc interface to videosdb xml. I then deleted the /database/ folder and went to xbmc to import the db from the xml so it would start to populate the mysql one referred on the advanced...xml.

As it happens, it didn't do anything that I expected. It simply rebuilt a knew db on /database/ folder and mysql wasn't even accessed.

Can you give me some tips? (I've already read all this thread and the wiki)

Thank you,
mikeziri Wrote:Hi.
@charrua I did what you said on post #23: I already had a mysql server on my homeserver. Simply created a user xbmc with xbmc as password and full privileges.
Can you give me some tips? (I've already read all this thread and the wiki)
Thank you,
Activate XBMC debug mode, upload the full log to pastebin.com and post the link to the log here.
charrua Wrote:Activate XBMC debug mode, upload the full log to pastebin.com and post the link to the log here.

http://pastebin.com/vLC2qN1z
mikeziri Wrote:http://pastebin.com/vLC2qN1z
The problem is: you need at least XBMC svn r28142 for being able to use MySQL features and you are using r26018.
Go to this thread for more info and troubleshooting tips.
Got it. Thank you.

Running from PPA now.

It now works. Thank you!
  • 19(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ability to share and synchronize XBMC userdata profiles between multiple machines2