• 20(current)
Ability to share and synchronize XBMC userdata profiles between multiple machines
Hi everyone, I was wondering if there was a way to somehow share the the hard drive over the network on the aTV just like you do with certain folders/drives on your computer. This way I'd be able to add the source of the ATV drive on any computer through the xbmc software. Is this possible?
tooshna Wrote:Hi everyone, I was wondering if there was a way to somehow share the the hard drive over the network on the aTV just like you do with certain folders/drives on your computer. This way I'd be able to add the source of the ATV drive on any computer through the xbmc software. Is this possible?

Threadjack ! Please don't do this and post an new thread for your question.
davilla Wrote:Threadjack ! Please don't do this and post an new thread for your question.

What do you mean? This IS an existing threadHuh I'm asking a relevant question in relation to the O.P's post
He clearly said post a NEW thread, you are thread-jacking because your question doesn't relate at all to thew OP's question. He is talking about using a shared XBMC library database across multiple devices, you are talking about sharing a folder on the ATV to other devices.
wasn't sure if i should post this here, or over in the windows section .. or even cause it might be a stupid questions to begin with since windows and mac/*nix have different mounting points for media

but does having one of the "slave" box's being a windows box work? .. or do all the box's have to use the same mount points ?
managed to make my database with MySQL as well.
I used the lifehacker.com tutorial and everything went smouth. I had some trouble with local folders on both my machines but figured i had to use network paths in order to keep them in sync and now everything seems to run ok.
So for those that have problems setting this thing up don't use local paths like c:\my movies just use smb paths that are the same for every box like smb://192.168.0.20/my movies and share the folders on all your boxes, i also use one machine to do all my library scans and so far i am happy.
Was there any resolution to the issue regarding importing a database taking so long?

I've just set this up and according to Ember Media Manager I have 83 movies and 16 TV shows with 102 episodes. This took, according to xbmc.log, from 21:36:27 to 21:56:23 to complete an import. Is this normal? It seemed to take a rather long period of time for what I'd consider a relatively small amount of data.

Any assistance in helping to speed up this process would be greatly appreciated Smile

Cheers,

Jason.

edit: have also noticed it now takes forever to open tv shows / movies from the main menu and everything is just really really slow when it's trying to read from the database Sad
Trying to help clean up the afterbirth :laugh:
moved post
Deleted
xexe Wrote:Edit3: Special thanks to firnsy. Turns out my choice of UTF-8 char-set was the issue. Changed to Latin1 and the import is going strong. Were a few hours in now estimate perhaps 6 more.

Looks like I have the exact same problem as yourself. What was the SQL command to change to Latin1? I've changed it using the web tool but I am still getting the error.
As always, thanks for the work developing this software. It's awesome that such a powerful media playback system is the work of a community, not a corporation.

I've just taken a go at this. I used the instructions in this LifeHacker post:
http://lifehacker.com/5634515/how-to-syn...-the-house

It took me DAYS to get it right, because of some kind of PHP and mcrypt issues that I honestly didn't understand, but have managed to resolve after updating the firmware on the NAS.

I'm running my media and database both of a NAS RAID and have got an AppleTV and an original xbox for playback. Now, I know the official support for xbox1 has ceased, but I've installed a current build from:
http://sshcs.com/xbmc/?mode=PLC&ID=XBOX

I'm now running r30692 (Oct 13 2010), so would think that the SQL support would be included.

However, I don't seem to have any "continue playback from..." option at all on the xbox now.

Is it just that, despite these unofficial builds continuing, the SLQ support just isn't available on xbox1, or have lost the "continue playback from..." option because I've messed something else up, or is the LifeHacker post missing something I should have done?

Cheers.
Hmmm, answered my own question. SQL is still not in the xbmc4xbox builds. Sad

The dream has died. (although my "continue playback from..." option has mysteriously returned)
As good and useful the MySql support in XBMC is there is still one thing which bothers me a lot: if XBMC is configured to use MySql in advancedsettings and MySql is not available during XBMC start-up then XBMC will show a black screen and hang forever. I suggest that in such a case (a MySql time-out detected) XBMC should ignore the advanced database settings and fall back to use an internal (standard) database. In this case there is at list a way to exit from XBMC correctly and deal with MySql.

I have suggested such a change in another thread but received no response so please respond back here to at least learn how important this issue is for the community.
Backend: Windows 7 file share + MySql on wired 1GB
Frontend 1: ATV OSX 3.02 w/CHD 012 + XBMC Dharma 10.0 + CHD r174 on wired FE
Frontend 2: Intel Atom 330/2Gb/ATI HD4350 + Windows 7 + XBMC Dharma 10.0 with DXVA + MySql DB on wired 1GB
ewequeone Wrote:I've just set this up and according to Ember Media Manager I have 83 movies and 16 TV shows with 102 episodes. This took, according to xbmc.log, from 21:36:27 to 21:56:23 to complete an import. Is this normal? It seemed to take a rather long period of time for what I'd consider a relatively small amount of data.

edit: have also noticed it now takes forever to open tv shows / movies from the main menu and everything is just really really slow when it's trying to read from the database Sad

It seems like your MySql database is slow. What machine are you running it on? Can you check that there are no network errors or delays? Try to see what's the CPU load and network load on the machine running MySql database when movie import is going on.

As soon as you instruct XBMC to work with the MySql database the XBMC itself is not responsible any more for how well the database performs since XBMC only sends SQL queries to the database and everything else is done by MySql. So you need to debug entirely another new part of your system.

I am running MySql on a separate machine with 2Gb of RAM on a Gigabit network and did not see any slowness except for the media files (thumbs and fanart) on the first run.
Backend: Windows 7 file share + MySql on wired 1GB
Frontend 1: ATV OSX 3.02 w/CHD 012 + XBMC Dharma 10.0 + CHD r174 on wired FE
Frontend 2: Intel Atom 330/2Gb/ATI HD4350 + Windows 7 + XBMC Dharma 10.0 with DXVA + MySql DB on wired 1GB
So do i understand correctly by keeping all metadata (nfo,fanart,tbn) inside the movie/serie folder it is the best way of keeping everything in sync without having to download stuff twice?

My setup is a linux server with mysql and all movies etc and two xbmc live setups (livingroom,bedroom).
  • 20(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ability to share and synchronize XBMC userdata profiles between multiple machines2