support for windows thumbs.db
i would love to see xbmc having support for using thumbs.db when browsing all my windows network shares. this was just lightly touched on in:
http://www.xboxmediaplayer.de/cgi-bin....5;st=15

but its not an actual feature request: this is. it would be nice to have it cache the file locally automatically if it finds a present thumbs.db file in a shared folder, and use the local copy unless a newer modified file is present. anyone have any plans on persuing this? anything going on with it?
we need someone to supply documentation on the format of thumbs.db. then we need someone who wishes to code such a function up.

at the moment, xbmc reads the thumbs from within the files themselves, which is pretty damn quick (even over smb). i'm not sure how reading thumbs.db will be superior to this.

information on thumbs.db formatting might be interesting nonetheless - we may be interested in placing the cached thumbs inside a larger file if it makes things faster to use (though i doubt it will).
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

it seems like a neater way to store thumbnails since windows updates it constantly and it pulls them for videos/ pics/ etc without having to have a file with the same name only ending in tbn, that could get rather messy in folders with large amounts of files. i would love to see someone chime in with some sort of documentation... i wouldnt imagine it is some overly complicated company secret special format but it is microsoft were talking here.

to those with the time or resources...... hint hint Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
support for windows thumbs.db0