OpenElec Sees Drive, XBMC Doesn't
Sad 
Hello,
I'm having an issue that I haven't been able to find much info on, so I'm hoping someone here can help. I just installed OpenElec and the 1TB SATA drive was seen by the installation... the install finished without any problems. When I booted the system into OpenElec/XBMC, there was no SATA drive to be found, just the flash drive that I had installed the software onto. How do I go about getting OpenElec to see the HDD?
Is it seen by your bios? Is your bios set to boot from that disc? What happens when you boot without the USB drive attached?
Welcome to the XBMC forums.

Does the drive show up when you add a media source? Videos > Files > Add videos... > Browse > scroll through the list
Thanks for the welcome. The HDD is seen by the BIOS, and no... the drive does not show. The only local options that show are root and storage... the install split my flash drive into those two partitions.
I should also add that I'm using AHCI mode and the HDD is not formatted... I'm planning to format it when I get home with ext3 to see if that helps.
I think that could be your problem.
Another interesting twist... gparted doesn't see the SATA drive either (checked the BIOS again and it sees it, along with the functionality options). I'm going to take it into work tomorrow and format it with NTFS and see what happens.
Why do you think ntfs would be a good choice? ext3 or 4 or xfs would be a better choice for for linux.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I was thinking NTFS just for testing purposes. I ended up formatting the drive with ext3 and booting the system... and OpenElec/XBMC still does not see the SATA drive. I'm out of ideas... the BIOS is set to AHCI, the drive is good, Windows sees it, it's formatted with ext3, the HTPC bios sees it, the OpenElec installer sees it... OpenElec/XBMC doesn't.

Where is Mr. Wizard....?
Won't you need to mount it? I am not familiar with openelec.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Not from what I understand... but I did try and view the attached drives via SSH and nothing showed. I just installed OE/XBMC directly onto the SATA drive and it worked great and booted right up. It just doesn't show when booting from the flash drive.
OE will automount hard disks to the /media/ folder, it has for all my partitions... look through the outputs of

dmesg

blkid

mount

fdisk -l

For some clues
I've given up and decided to just install OE onto the SATA drive. Thanks for all the suggestions.
IIRC if you connect as internal drive, you need to mount it. Edit FSTAB.

OpenElec only automount removable drive.
Post the output of "sudo fdisk -l". If an OpenELEC installer can see it it is definitely being recognized by the system. If XBMC doesn't see it even when it's formatted it could be that the user that's running XBMC doesn't have permissions to auto-mount stuff. Sadly I don't remember off the top of my head how to fix that.

Edit: sorry, didn't see the second page before posting.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OpenElec Sees Drive, XBMC Doesn't0