Help with Media Managers
Hi, I've been having real problems with getting my Raspbmc to scan Tv Show files. So I download one of the XBMC related media managers to organise my files and create NFOs for each show. But when I go into XBMC there's no option to select local data, only the standard TvDB scrapper.

Have I been wasting my time, or will XBMC automatically recognise there's an NFO there and not go looking elsewhere for the data?
XBMC will automatically use the local files if they exist, no matter what scraper you select. It will only go off and use TVDB website if local files don't exist.
QNAP TS670 NAS - 4x4TB Raided with NFS Support & Central MySQL DB
Pi 3 [Xbian] - Samsung 46" ES7000 Smart TV & HT-E5550 3D BD Sound System
Pi 3 [Xbian]  + Hyperion Ambilight- Samsung 48" Curved UE48JS9000 4k
PowerEthernet T1502 Powerline adapters
Thanks NS.

I updated my library to add the Tv Shows, but even with the NFOs created in my media manager XBMC still wont recognise some files/shows, or allow me to select them through the Tv Shows menu (it see the files and plays them fine if I just navigate to the hardrive through video/files/hardrive/tv shows/.

Reading through some of the threads in this forum this seems to be a common enough issue, is there a fix for it? Or a way to just force XBMC to add the files.
Have you named your files correctly? Have you checked the tv folder that isn't being scraped to make sure the content type is set correctly (to tvshow)? 9 times out of ten it's usually a naming problem, although you might also want to check your NFOs to make sure they contain the information you think they do.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Which media manager did you use?

I used Ember Media Manager: Some episodes were identified as other episodes of the same season. For other seasons NFO files were created, but XBMC does not show the season at all. You have to like puzzling to figure out why...
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

As far as I know I have the files named correctly, I've been through each one and made sure they're clearly labeled. Even the shows which are a short series of documentaries, I've labeled as "Season 01" despite their being a one off series. I'll go through them again and double check, maybe try a slightly different naming structure.

But I don't understand why my media manager (ViMedaiManager) can recognise the shows and create the NFOs but XBMC fails. Hopefully some trial and error will sort it out.
Generally, a media manager checks the filename and creates an NFO file. XBMC will not look at the filename, but will use the NFO file during indexing.
So is there a tvshow.nfo in the root of the TV show folder (same level as the Seaon 1, Season 2 folders)? Does it contain valid data? Was thetvdb.com up when you scraped - it can have quite quite variable availability.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
I think trial and error in tightening up the renaming is doing the trick. It seems some files XBMC will accept no matter how messly they're named, whilst others have to be organised very specifically for them to register.

For instance, the documentary series The Power of Nightmares, which is a one off documentary series in three parts, I had It initially filed as,

Folder 'The Power of Nightmares' / File 'ShowTitle.E01.episode title. ect.

The other shows I have that are labeled similar to this XBMC has found acceptable. For instance,

Folder 'Eastbound & Down' / File 'ShowTitle.S01E01.episode title. etc. registers fine with XBMC.

But despite XBMC listing the Power of Nightmares show in the Tv library, the files didn't register at all.

So I eventually renamed like this

Folder 'The Power of Nightmares' / Folder 'Season 01' / File 'S01E01.episode title.

and XBMC recognised it.
Yep, S01E0x is how I would name an episode, even if it's a one-off series.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help with Media Managers0