Gotham Release Date
Hi All,

with the release of XBMC Gotham coming... is it worth updating my v11 to v12.2 now or waiting for Gotham?
It's worth updating now.
cool thanks....

ok so i have all my data on a server in the garage (running windows 7 and smb share to main tv (xbmc on windows 7) and bedroom (xbmcbuntu))

how do i get the same library (i also would like to stop a movie on the main tv and play from same spot in bedroom) where and how do i install the SQL client?
That is an answer I would love to have too. My media is all served off a NAS and I would love to share the database between two of the three XBMC machines in the house.
There are two ways to do it, both will sync watch and resume status. MySQL (wiki), which is more complicated, or UPnP (wiki) if you use a v13 monthly build (you can do it on v12, but it won't sync watch/resume status).

UPnP is so much easier that you might want to try a monthly build (wiki) and see if that runs stable for you, and just use that until v13 final is out. It's pretty slick.
so... with upnp can that be installed on my server or does it have to be on my main tv (and that needs to be on all the time?)
Mine needs to be pretty appliance like to keep the wife happy so I have tended to stay away from the monthlies and nightlies.

If Gotham will include that it will be a great feature to have, the only question on UPnP is does it require both machines to be running to keep synchronised? Our power bill is pretty horrid so I have all HTPCs going to sleep when not in use to scrimp a little power.
UPnP is so much easier that you might want to try a monthly build (wiki) and see if that runs stable for you, and just use that until v13 final is out. It's pretty slick.
[/quote]

so back to my initial question i should wait for v13?

any idea on a release date?
A related question. If I store a MySQL database on my NAS, does information from an add on (Like the DVBLink TV server add on) get stored in this database or is it seperate? One issue I have found is that with FTA recording managed by my NAS, the schedules and list of recordings can end up out of sync betwwen machines and I need to reset the PVR databaase to synchronise them. If that is stored in common with the rest then it might resolve that too.
the_bluester: One XBMC install acts as a server to all the others, but it is possible to sleep both when not in use. If you use v13-based builds, XBMC also has new advanced wake-on-lan features that will wake the other HTPC in order to use that UPnP library.

The wiki's MySQL (wiki) instructions currently just cover the normal XBMC library, but there is MySQL support for PVR-related databases, IIRC. I'm not sure how to set that up, though.

dfelice81: Typically, we don't announce release dates far in advanced. We don't want to get people's hopes up if we miss a date or cause confusion, and at this point even the internal Team knows that the actual date can change very easily.

That being said, a rough estimate based on past releases would be one year from the last release, which was in Jan 2013. Just remember, it could easily be longer or shorter than a year from that. Off hand, I actually forget what the internal Team date is that we're aiming for, so I literally can't be any more specific than that :)
I assume the UPnP option would have the server HTPC running the entire time as the client one is using the database? I would like to avoid that if I can but having moved to a low power HTPC in the NUC (Which I measured by clamp ammeter and voltage on the power cable as topping out at about 20W when playing video and around half that when idle) and assuming that the "Server" would be more or less idle even when doing this it is probably not that much of a power cost impost to do it.

Previously with the larger PC based HTPC, which would have been the server in the system it would have been more of a problem as it used four times the power of a NUC at idle.

I am using Openelex as it resolved a playback issue that must have been underlying in Ubuntu drivers. I will have to wait and see on them moving to Gotham, but that is not really much of an issue for me, I can wait a few months to get this as a feature if putting the databaase on my NAS is too much trouble.
For the last month or so I've been keeping XBMC open all the time on my laptop and minimized (OS X, 2009 MBP) to serve as a UPnP server to the rest of the house. CPU usage for XBMC is in the 2-3% range when idle, so I assume there is very low power usage.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Gotham Release Date0