Win Win 8 smb shares freeze
Hi,
I have seen other threads in regard to smb shares freezing during playback, and tried many of the ideas that were brought up etc. But i am still stuck with this issue.
I am running the latest XBMC Frodo 12.1 on windows 8 64 bit. PC has 4 gigs of ram an ati 5770 graphics card (i think). Up to date with Windows Update. I also have a nas server set up with nas4free, with all my media on. Its a wired connection to the win 8 PC
Some files will hiccup seemingly because it looks like the buffer can't keep up. As an example an standard def avi will freeze up about ten minutes into the file and yet a 720p mp4 will play just fine. I am perplexed.
I setup an upnp server to xbmc and the file played fine and you can see the buffer filling ahead. I would happily use upnp as everything seems to play from there but the library does'nt work with it.
I had intended to post the last xbmc log but i forgot it on my way to work so i will post it later now !

I have tried changing the buffer within the advancedsettings.xml but this seemingly does'nt work with smb ?
Incidentally the avi files play fine when streamed to an ipad and another win 8 laptop. Wondering if it is the lan that is at fault ? but why would it play a hd file and not an avi ?

In frustration i even tried other packages but they are'nt a patch on xbmc in regards to looks and ease of use.

One thing i did try was a command line that pinged the server to determine the mtu to use, this would occasionally time out at random sometimes so i'm wondering if the pc loses the connection to the nas server, hence the reason why the avi would freeze. Still no idea why a hd mp4 would play all the way through !

Anyone offer me any advice ?

regards
nb
Have you try these- post #10?
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
hi,

i had seen that post when i was looking for answers, so i think i did this.
I will double check after work though.

cheers
nb
I checked my network setting as this post

I didn't have the option to change encryption on mine..
Also on mine it was set to allow windows to manage homegroup connections.. So I have changed this.

I rebooted and played the file that would freeze up all the time and it played all the way through.

I will play a few more videos to check it, but hopefully sorted

Thanks

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Win 8 smb shares freeze0