Mac Mini+XBMC.. what IR remote?
What are the current options for a IR remote for use with XBMC Frodo on a Mac Mini (2012 model)?

I'm not interested in Apple's own remote (lack of mappable buttons).

I own a Harmony 900 remote so I'm quite flexible req. button-mapping, IR code learning and compatibility, but I'm looking for a USB IR reciever and/or remote
control which is compatible with XBMC on Mac Mini/OSX and offer at least 10 buttons.

Recommendations welcome Smile

/B
Flirc. $30 and worth every penny. Will map as many buttons as there are keyboard keys, and works on any device that sees a USB keyboard. Best option for Mac OS X that I've seen, too.
Just add the PLEX device to your harmony remote and then change the IR remote preferences in XBMC to "Harmony".

EZ
Thanks guys!

@Korey: I just tried that and it works pretty well, but since the Apple IR codes interfere with my Apple TV, I can't use that solution Sad

@Ned: I think I'll check out the Flirc dongle - sounds pretty clever, flexible and price seems fair Big Grin
(2013-03-22, 15:49)Beano Wrote: Thanks guys!

@Korey: I just tried that and it works pretty well, but since the Apple IR codes interfere with my Apple TV, I can't use that solution Sad

@Ned: I think I'll check out the Flirc dongle - sounds pretty clever, flexible and price seems fair Big Grin

If you hold menu+play/pause on the apple tv remote for a few seconds this ID is incremented with possible integer values between 1 and 252. This allows your remote to send 1,512 (252 * 6) distinct signals (ignoring any differences sent when you hold down a button vs a press). You just need to find a ID that is not used in the harmony device (it uses 6 different apple remote devices IIRC)

Then pair the apple tv to the remote so it only responds to the new ID.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1555

Some more info on the logitech forums:

http://logitech-en-amr.custhelp.com/app/.../a_id/8480
Thanks! The Logitech link solved the Apple Remote conflict but it's very laggy navigating in XBMC with the Plex codes. I assume it's because each Plex button press sends multiple Apple Remote IR codes?

I have ordered Flirc to see if than can improve navigation speed and be a more flexible solution Smile
It's the Harmony itself that is laggy and there's nothing you can do to get completely rid of it. You can try to minimize it with these settings. And report back whether Flirc eliminates the lag, this would be interesting to know.

http://wiki.plexapp.com/index.php/Harmon...ing_Delays
Since I'm not experiencing the same amount of lag with "plain" Apple IR codes from the Harmony (or any other device) I assume it's related to the Plex codes.
(2013-03-22, 14:41)Ned Scott Wrote: Flirc. $30 and worth every penny. Will map as many buttons as there are keyboard keys, and works on any device that sees a USB keyboard. Best option for Mac OS X that I've seen, too.

I have a flirc and have not set it up yet(actually, I have two of them). Have they resolved the issue if you hit the number key on remote it will go to the letter in the alphabet of that key for your movies, music or tv shows(example. you hit 2 one time it will go to the first A titled movie, then a second time it will go to B, and a 3rd to C)? This was my reluctance to switching from using my Harmony with the plex option and going to Flirc since I would lose that functionality. Thank you.
(2013-03-22, 17:32)amcfarla Wrote:
(2013-03-22, 14:41)Ned Scott Wrote: Flirc. $30 and worth every penny. Will map as many buttons as there are keyboard keys, and works on any device that sees a USB keyboard. Best option for Mac OS X that I've seen, too.

I have a flirc and have not set it up yet(actually, I have two of them). Have they resolved the issue if you hit the number key on remote it will go to the letter in the alphabet of that key for your movies, music or tv shows(example. you hit 2 one time it will go to the first A titled movie, then a second time it will go to B, and a 3rd to C)? This was my reluctance to switching from using my Harmony with the plex option and going to Flirc since I would lose that functionality. Thank you.

Last I checked, JumpSMS was working just fine. I'll double check a bit later.

+1
Macmini Server 2011 i7 Quad Core, OS 10.8.2, Amp Onkyo TX-SR308 USB WD drives 3x2TB TV Samsung Plasma 720p EyeTV Integration
There are only 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

If you've got any questions about flirc i've been trying to set up balance views of customers in this thread (positives and negatives):
http://forum.flirc.tv/index.php?/topic/2...ontribute/

And i've tried simplifying the process of understanding what to do with flirc before you get it with this dedicated subforum:
http://forum.flirc.tv/index.php?/forum/4...ith-flirc/

All of this so you don't buy flirc if it doesn't appear to suit your needs Smile

Please feel free to post over at the flirc forums (http://forum.flirc.tv) and we'll try our best to help Smile

Chris (from flirc)

Flirc now has a forum: forum.flirc.tv
I have a quick questions. Just bought the base level mac mini running XBMC 12.1 I also have the Harmony One remote now My plan is that I want to add a macro or a sequences that I can shut down the mac or open certain apps. is there such an applications that i can set this up?

If this has been covered, I did do a search. but didn't find anything

Thanks
I use better touch tool. to assign all workflows/applescripts etc. for flirc to call.
Edit: Depending upon your taste, Total Spaces is a cool app to add some cool transitions between apps. Better user experience. Check the eyetv video for an example.
Macmini Server 2011 i7 Quad Core, OS 10.8.2, Amp Onkyo TX-SR308 USB WD drives 3x2TB TV Samsung Plasma 720p EyeTV Integration
There are only 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

(2013-03-23, 17:35)aerick79 Wrote: I have a quick questions. Just bought the base level mac mini running XBMC 12.1 I also have the Harmony One remote now My plan is that I want to add a macro or a sequences that I can shut down the mac or open certain apps. is there such an applications that i can set this up?

If this has been covered, I did do a search. but didn't find anything

Thanks

Remote buddy works extremely well.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Mac Mini+XBMC.. what IR remote?0