Mac Mini+XBMC.. what IR remote?
I did do the PS3 way, it works so much better than the plex way, with RB. I like that I can control the Mac mini and not just the XBMC. I can open any app, shut down the Mini. So its pretty epic.
Yes Remote Buddy is very flexible for controlling multiple applications but I only use my Mac Mini for XBMC, so I can easily live without Smile
Got my Flirc are few days ago and am quite impressed by it. Less lag than using the Plex Harmony profile in XBMC and programming is easy. However, I did experience the Windows Flirc programming software screwing up the programmed IR codes at one time which forced me to restore a config backup I made a few hours earlier by luck. Currently, the programming software could be better but otherwise a great solution and flexible since it can be used globally (not just XBMC) on the Mac to control other applications.

EDIT: I just discovered that there is now a native Flirc profile available in Harmony Big Grin

http://blog.flirc.tv/flirc-has-a-harmony-profile/
Do you know iRule?, it's an app for your smartphone, and it got countless of options to remote control all your gear, Tv, AVR, Htpc, light and so on....
I'm building my own remote at the moment/been doing it for a while ;)), and have to say it works perfect so far,though I haven't made one for my Mac mini yet, but it's possible.
I avoid anything touch-screen based Big Grin

If I wanted a touch-based interface, I could just use the official XBMC remote app for iPhone and iPad.
(2013-04-02, 08:51)Beano Wrote: a great solution and flexible since it can be used globally (not just XBMC) on the Mac to control other applications.

Its great for that eg. I use it to take screenshots and dial phone numbers. Down the track I have plans to control cameras, lights...
Macmini Server 2011 i7 Quad Core, OS 10.8.2, Amp Onkyo TX-SR308 USB WD drives 3x2TB TV Samsung Plasma 720p EyeTV Integration
There are only 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

How about this section in XBMC Wiki :

3.2.3 Can't wake a sleeping Mac using the Apple Remote

Apple changed how energy saving settings work on Mac OS X 10.7/10.8 and by default the Apple Remote will not wake a sleeping Mac. This can be fixed by changing the "darkwake" flag on Mac OS X, but do this at your own risk.

Is it still the same problem in the last OSx versions ?

Thank you
Is Apple remote and XBMC setup lag free?

I'm asking this coz my mac mini has a huge lag while using it with apple remote (which works fine with Apple TV). Actually itunes sometimes fails to register the button press. Can I do anything on mac mini to make it work normally with apple remote? or is it a hardware issue?

Thanks
I've never had lag when using an Apple remote and my MBP with XBMC. Maybe there is interference of some kind hitting the Mac mini? Even fluorescent lights can cause odd IR interference.
(2013-04-05, 19:04)amstelveen Wrote: How about this section in XBMC Wiki :

3.2.3 Can't wake a sleeping Mac using the Apple Remote

Apple changed how energy saving settings work on Mac OS X 10.7/10.8 and by default the Apple Remote will not wake a sleeping Mac. This can be fixed by changing the "darkwake" flag on Mac OS X, but do this at your own risk.

Is it still the same problem in the last OSx versions ?

Thank you

Weird, I have no issue with this (I am using a brand new mac mini with a new apple remote). I just make sure that the launchctl daemon is running in the background and enable the wake with remote settings. TBH I have only suspended the system via xbmc, never the system preferences -> suspend, so maybe there is a difference?

But when I do xbmc -> suspend, hitting any button on the remote wakes up the mini, and it's darn snappy too considering it's a 5400 rpm hard drive.
TLDR;
-How do I teach a Harmony the apple fast forward, rewind vs. skip forward, jump back commands? (short press, vs long press on apple remote)
-Why wouldn't the Mac Mini respond to Plex Player device commands?

Ok now for the details for those who are ready for a long read and have suggestions

I just setup my friend's 2007 Mac Mini (Lion) wIth XBMC Frodo.
DVI to HDMI, Digital optical toslink audio surround all works great for an old computer.
(FYI, disable sleep in both Lion system pref's, XBMC, and tell Harmony device to remain on at all times or you'll lose HDMI video requiring a power cycle reboot)

Harmony 650 Remote with addtional Apple TV 3, Comcast DVR box, Denon AVR, etc. (using an IR Repeater so everything is out of site in a corner cabinet)

Having more than one Apple device we want to control via IR forces us to pair the apple remote. This of course is so the Mac Mini-XBMC Activity IR commands don't effect the Apple TV, & the Apple TV Activity won't effect the Mac Mini.

I originally thought I had to use two regular apple remotes, pair them, and have the Harmony learn each and every button from both remotes.

After digging in, I finally found that the Harmony remote actually has a "Pair" command for added Apple devices. This allowed me Pair the Mac Mini-XBMC activity to the Mac Mini. (FYI: I found the hard way that the Pair only works if you reboot Lion, and it's done within 30 seconds of Lion logging in loading the desktop up) If you try to Pair or Unpair after this time out, Lion never responds to the Pair or Unpair command. (even from a regular Apple remote!)

I was hoping when I used the Pair command in the Harmony Apple TV activity, it would be unique per Apple device. (it's not!) They walked over each other.
The work around that is currently "ok" but not perfect so far is the following.
I Paired a regular remote to the Apple TV, and then have the Harmony learn Each command to the Harmony Apple TV device buttons.
I left the Paired harmony working with the Mac Mini

This leads me to the summary of my first question above. How do I get the Harmony to learn/send a fast forward/rewind vs skip forward/skip back command?
For example, if you press regular apple remote direction right quickly and let go, this causes XBMC to "fast forward"
If you press AND HOLD the regular apple remote direction right it will cause XBMC to jump 30 seconds.

I tried teaching the short and long presses to the Harmony, but it will only send the regular fast forward command each time.
Are these 4 unique IR commands in one of the Harmony devices out there?

I googled around and saw other suggestions such as using the Plex Player IR commands.
Ok so I tried adding the Plex Player device for my Mac Mini-XBMC activity device, but XBMC won't respond to my remote at all. I picked the Harmony remote in XBMC under settings. I tried Universal. I tried clicking the remote sends keyboard commands. I was patient after applying settings and rebooted the computer to make sure the settings took hold. (never responds) I also unpaired all remotes to make sure that wan't the problem. I can only get XBMC to respond with the Standard apple remote xbmc setting.

My friend doesn't want to spend money on the FLIRC, but I might talk him into it.

If there is a better way to do what I've tried so far I'd love to know.

I could have sworn I had regular fast forward vs skip forward back working on the remote at one point. I was flip flopping between adding the Apple TV and Mac Mini as the Harmony device. I currently have Apple TV device for both activities. (renamed of course)

Did I miss something? Is there a way for the Harmony to "pair" two unique devices with itself?

Is there a reason the Plex Player device profile didn't' work for me?

I saw the Apple TV actually supports "learning" I Added the Microsoft Windows Media Center device on the harmony, and tried to teach the Apple TV those commnads. The Apple TV wouldn't learn one single button press though so gave up.

P.S. for those with IR repeaters, make sure you put tape over the unused transmitters or you'll have weird feedback loops and performance issues. It took me awhile to line up and tape the two transmitters to the exact IR Receiver spots on the Mac Mini and Apple TV so they respond solid. I also set the delay to 0 so it's a bit faster less laggy.

Anyone............ Anyone............ ?

FLIRC sounds like a good option, but my friend doesn't want to spend the money. I also wan't to make what we have work and not feel beat by this!
(you know how it goes after 6 hours of tinkering)
(2013-03-22, 16:44)Korey Wrote:
(2013-03-22, 15:49)Beano Wrote: Thanks guys!

@Korey: I just tried that and it works pretty well, but since the Apple IR codes interfere with my Apple TV, I can't use that solution Sad

@Ned: I think I'll check out the Flirc dongle - sounds pretty clever, flexible and price seems fair Big Grin

If you hold menu+play/pause on the apple tv remote for a few seconds this ID is incremented with possible integer values between 1 and 252. This allows your remote to send 1,512 (252 * 6) distinct signals (ignoring any differences sent when you hold down a button vs a press). You just need to find a ID that is not used in the harmony device (it uses 6 different apple remote devices IIRC)

Then pair the apple tv to the remote so it only responds to the new ID.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1555

Some more info on the logitech forums:

http://logitech-en-amr.custhelp.com/app/.../a_id/8480

How are you going to use the Harmony with the ATV after changing the ID? If you use the Plex player then you can't pair to the Mini. You also can't easily use Remote Buddy to launch other apps. Is there a way for the Harmony to control xvmc on the Mini and to also be able to function as an Apple remote for either apps on the Mini? Then you want that same Harmony to control the ATV. It all sounds confusing.

philip
The apple remote (silver) with built in IR has been very good for me (not Mavericks) - very little lag etc.

It has, in effect 12 buttons - it is easy to customize XBMC keymap or use out of the box ..

I found a fresh battery, no usb 3 devices in line of sight and mac ir port out of line of sight of plasma (google plasma ir interference) all help.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Mac Mini+XBMC.. what IR remote?0