Frodo 12.1 SD video OSD issues
Upgraded to frodo 12.1 on my 2009 Mac mini last week but encountered strange behavior when playing SD video. Whenever there is OSD it will blank out the video completely. It will still play (the audio continues) but there will either be a black image or there is a weird blue image that will get whiter and brighter towards the middle.
I do not have this issue with HD content..

I did not have the issue with 12.0 and I tried both hw acceleration on and off but it would still do it no matter what.

12.1 is also very crashy.. It will crash on me way more than 12.0.

For now I'll just revert back to 12.0 but I hope 12.1 will be fixed so I can use hw accelaration.
Thanks!
Funny, I'm running a nighlty build from before 12.1, and it used to work fine but is now showing exactly the bug you mention. The only thing I can think of is that some auto update for an addon changed it. It did seem to start happening right after 12.1 came out. I can't get to it right now, but I'll try to get a log file and post it later.

I'm on Mac Mini too, so that is a commonality. There was a bug a while back where the name of the video card was either capitalized or not in the code and that was causing issues for Mini's. I know there was a commit that fixed it at some point, but this bug seems very reminiscent of what I was seeing back then.
OK, of course I can't get it to happen when I have the debug logging on. It's generally been an intermittent bug for me so not too surprising. One thing I did find. I used to be able to get around this bug in the older builds by setting the Render Method to Software. Now, that causes XBMC to crash when I play SD content (it plays HD content just fine with this setting). I saved a log at http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=6783.
Can you guys give us more details on your hardware? Graphics card, audio equipment/ setup, etc.
Mac Mini core 2 duo, OSX 10.6.8, HDMI output for video and sound going into a Sony CT150 AV amp. XBMC Nightly build for osx xbmc-20130308-6b319a1-master-x86_64. The Video chipset on this mac is a NVIDIA GeForce 320M.

Audio output from XBMC is set to HDMI, and both bugs (Intermittent Black screen for SD video playback -and- reproducible crash with SD video playback when set for Software rendering) occur with both 2.0 channels and 7.1 channels set in XBMC.

I've tried it in both my standard setup with the AEON Nox skin and all the bells and whistles, and in a separate user account where I delete the XBMC folder from ~/Library/Application Support/ before running. The software rendering crash occurs reproducibly in both cases.

I tried to turn off the auto update on addons when I start XBMC in the separate user account, but it always manages to start updating before I can do it. I can't find a documented advancedsettings.xml command to stop auto updates, so I can't prove it was some updated addon. I'll try turning off my router at some point, but I need to find a time when the disruption to our network will be minimized.
same on 32bit version of xbmc?
I just tried xbmc-20130310-8f219c5-master-i386, and it also has the software rendering crash.

Any news on when new nightly builds for OSX will be available?
OK, I just tried a bunch of different videos, all 480i 4:3. All the 640x480 videos crash with software rendering, but the 704x480 and the 720x480 don't crash. These are all mpeg2 recorded off different local OTA TV stations. Looks like the true 4:3 aspect ratio videos are the ones that have a problem.

The black screen bug is not easily reproducible, but from my memory all the recent occurrences are recorded from the station with the 640x480 video.
No ETA on new buildbot platform. We are working like 24/7 on it as of my feeling though.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
OK, it's been several weeks now with no black screen bug. It appears that setting the shader to Basic Shaders is a work around. Any other setting does seem to give either the occasional black screen, or a crash if it's set to Software.
Did you try with latest nighhtlies? (buildbot is working again since a couple of weeks). If its still crashing i would like to see a debug log (wiki) + crashreporter file. For the blackscreen problem i need the debug log (wiki) aswell.

Your log link is dead already.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
Yes, I've been downloading some of the newer nightlies. I'm using 13.0-ALPHA3 Git:20130417-4ce9be2 now. Here's a log and crash report for the software rendering crash:

Log: http://pastebin.com/CW2SJBsE
Crash Report: http://pastebin.com/Sv6SupKb

Note that this crash only occurs when the audio output is set to HDMI. When set to Analog with 2.0 channels it does not occur.

I haven't been able to get a black screen when the log is running. Is there a way to run the debug log without the debug info being superimposed on the screen? If there was, I would be willing to run the debug logger all the time until I got a black screen.

I'd be willing to bet that these bugs are all related to the 1 hour 2 minute 8 second thing, as they all seem to disappear when not using HDMI audio output. You might want to have a look at my last few posts in the 1 hr 2 min 8 sec thread, and you might want to try setting the audio output to analog - Speaker Configuration to 7.1 channels - Audio Output Device to HDMI on a mac and see if you can't get the stuttering video on one of your machines.
Dude - this analog 7.1 setting is invalid anyways. So of course we stutter like hell then because we are not even able to open the audiodevice with this configuration. Though you might think this is related - it doesn't help a bit in figuring out the 1h2m8s problem sadly.

Could you try a newer nightly please? It is crashing in ffmpeg and we updated the internal ffmpeg version latly.
Memphiz: My point is that the stuttering is identical to what is happening in the 1h2m8s issue. Also, (see my reply to you in this thread http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=163344), XBMC resets the Audio to 8 channels whenever an AAC is played, so it's not impossible that they are related. I don't want to be argumentative, but everything I can see from you or other devs says you don't know what the 1h2m8s problem is and can't reproduce it on your equipment. If the analog-7.1 looks exactly the same to me, and I can reproduce the problem, then maybe you might take a look at it and see if there might be some relation to the 1h2m8s bug.

I will try a new nightly today.
I still get the software rendering crash with the latest nightly, but it took me a couple tries (restarting XBMC and playing the video again) to get it to happen, whereas it was 100% reproducible before

Crash report http://pastebin.com/aqc0SKW1
Log http://pastebin.com/REf5nSrU

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Frodo 12.1 SD video OSD issues0