XBMC on Synology NAS ? is it possible?
Well QNAP staff even acknowledged this fact:

Hi QNAP Team, do you have an ETA for the XBMC update to address this issue?
-As this is an Intel driver related issue, it's impossible to offer an ETA, as it's based on Intel providing new drivers and that's something outside of QNAP's control.
Lars, could you elaborate further? Have Intel responded to your request for new drivers?
-We can't affect Intel's driver release schedule, but if you're asking if they're aware of the issue, then the answer is yes.

As it's an hardware decoding problem, maybe some video files don't display tearing (depending on the codec maybe?), but all the files i've tried have -more or less- some tearing.
It doesn't matter if it's a 1080p or a SD file.

So yeah maybe you can choose the file to have a clean output for a showcase, but in "normal" conditions, well at least for me, tearing is here.
(and considering the number of posts/topic on this problem on qnap boards, i'm not the only one.)
Hello, has anyone solved the above issue? I have the same problem, i've tried everything and the problem still exists. Enabling options “Setting” > “Video” > “Playback”, and then enable "Adjust display refresh rate to match video" and "Sync playback to display" help a little but tearing video on the top still is visible (about 1min gap and tearing appears). TV is Sony Hx850 and video playback works great form a PC and 24hz refresh rate, problem is when using QNAP 269L (3GB RAM) and XBMC. I think that the problem is that XBMC imposes refresh rate that isnt really 24hz and thats why tearing in about 1min gap appears. With disabled refresh rate and sync video isnt watchable at all - video 23.976fps vs 60fps (60hz) on xbmc - tearing of video is the worst. Not mentioning that the video brightness from XBMC is far wors than from any PC and (core avc codecs). I'm sadly dissapointed that there isnt any option to change refresh rate on XBMC at QNAP in system properties I think it would fix the problem.
(2013-03-23, 18:42)pecinko Wrote:
(2013-03-23, 14:31)patrickw59 Wrote: Hello all,
I would like to replace the poor built in DLNA mediaserver by a more powerful and good looking media server.
So my question is simple.

Can I install the XBMC software on a Synology NAS?

You can use pc/apple tv/rapsbery pi with XBMC to have good looking presentation of your media on TV. XBMC can read files on your NAS directly, no need for DLNA.

If you use DLNA to stream to your TV, than changing DLNA server won't change presentation of your media on TV.

Hi pecink,
sorry, I'm a newbie on xbmc.
Please can you explain in more detail what to do to use a QNAP (TS-412) as the network source to provide the media files for a xbmc Player (EZ Cast)?
Just for testing I tried to use a xbmc remote (Yatse on Android Tablet) to play media files from my QNAP, without success...

THANKS!
It looks like it may be possible now http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=212061&page=2

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC on Synology NAS ? is it possible?0