WIP Building 1st HTPC project, where to start ?
Question 
Hi everyone! Before posting on this great forum I just want to say that I've read and I've done my homeworks before making this post.

I'll start to say that my experience in media center started with a WDTV wich I think is crap. Then I paid 500$ for a Popcorn C-300, worst investment of my life for a media center that runs on a bad firmware, with lacks of update. It's good for a user that don't make a lot of things, but for me it was a jail.

Here are my questions on what I need :

1 - Stream 1080p mkv movies and tv series from my linux NFS server

2 - Stream other SD video contents from my NFS server

3 - Stream my Flac music collection from my NFS server

4 - Play NES and SNES emulator and more if possible // I have a xbox 360 usb controller will this work with XBMC ?

5 - Press the power button on the unit and have XBMC start automatically, I don't want a windows or linux os and having to open XBMC as an application. If it's the only way is there a way to make XBMC launch automaticaly?

6 - I want to use my iPhone as a remote, I want the iphone to control everything (mouse/keyboard/play pause, etc)

7 - I want to be able to get on youtube and vimeo

8 - I want the network connection wireless and powerfull.

9 - EDIT : I absolutely need a SPDIF optic audio out

Then I start searching on XBMC and all of the hardware possibilities to run it. Then I found the eskro builds on this forum that still seems to be the nicest and powerful way to run XBMC. I have no trouble to assemble hardware computers and all that but is it simple to configure XBMC or it's an hard job ? I don't want to waste too much time troubleshooting on this. Well it's seems to be definitely the best thing but not the cheapest. And my last though about eskro builds is that the topic is old of 2011 so is it still the best hardware solutions ?

Then I search for pre-made hardware and I found theses :
http://www.xbmchardware.com/index.php?ro...duct_id=50

I really don't know if need to build one or buy one pre-made, so it's why I'm posting here because I fail to time with a wdtv and a popcornhour, now I'm tired throwing my money to dump. I need the thing that will makes it.

THANKS Smile
There are a couple of "pre-built" threads here you might be interested in:

Intel NUC: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=140534
Lenovo Q190: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=157563

A lot will depend on what O/S you need for your emulators. Of the things you list, those will be the most hardware intensive.
The official xbmc forum only have 1 member that can help me to enter in the xbmc world ?
Do you want pre-built or a suggestion for parts to build your own?
I understand now that prebuilt ones seems to be cheaper and cheapest in term of performance also.

So I would like suggestion for parts to build my own because I think the eskros build are outdated, right ?

And I want someone to answer the unanswered question like question 5.

Thanks.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Building 1st HTPC project, where to start ?0