Best Upscaler?
(2013-03-29, 04:07)Ghostdivision Wrote: If we could get the developer and xbmc heads to agree on the native resolution output sitting in wait we could use hardware as well. My pioneer avr has a marvel qdeo scaler same video processing used in oppo's bluray players, but i cant take advantage of it currently.

Can you explain what you mean? I have an Onkyo with the same scaler you have... why is it not being used?
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
(2013-03-31, 16:24)therock003 Wrote:
(2013-03-29, 22:25)phunqe Wrote:
(2013-03-29, 21:39)therock003 Wrote: Ok any god guide to apply MadVR? Does it need good hardware? Cause i tried the shaders on MPC and it dropped some frames on 720p files.

Very simple guide http://www.avsforum.com/t/1357375/advanc...etup-guide
I don't think you actually have to so anything else for the up-scaling (someone correct me if I'm wrong), unless you want to tweak stuff and you know what you are doing.

This obviously works only with the external player approach (http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=External_players). You cannot apply madVR to XBMC without an external player. MPC-HC is the best in this case.

My playercorefactory.xml file:

Code:
<playercorefactory>
<players>
   <player name="MPC-HC" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
     <filename>C:\Program Files (x86)\MPC-HC\mpc-hc.exe</filename>
     <args>"{1}" /fullscreen /close</args>
     <hidexbmc>false</hidexbmc>
     <hideconsole>false</hideconsole>
     <warpcursor>none</warpcursor>
   </player>
</players>
<rules action="prepend">
   <rule filetypes="mkv" player="MPC-HC"/>
</rules>
</playercorefactory>

I've already added the external player, but i try following the guide, and i cannot get madVR to work. IT still shows as unavailable. I am on Win8 x64, with x64 version of mpc. Does it only work on 32bit system with 32bir apps?
You must install MPC-HC 32bit to use MadVR. There's no 64bit version.
Box 1: ODroid N2+ 4GB
Box 2: Intel NUC D34010WYK (Windows afedchin's Krypton MVC Build)
Box 3: Vero 4K
RIP schimi2k | I miss you buddy :(
(2013-03-31, 23:01)Livin Wrote: Can you explain what you mean? I have an Onkyo with the same scaler you have... why is it not being used?

XBMC already scales it internally and there's currently no option available to disable that scaling and just output video in it's native resolution.
With nvidia and amd gpu, you can overide the application scalling and processing via the control pannel and use your gpu functionality. Have you tried those?
(2013-04-02, 02:57)Tuxon86 Wrote: With nvidia and amd gpu, you can overide the application scalling and processing via the control pannel and use your gpu functionality. Have you tried those?

I dont know enough about pc settings, but that wont solve the issue. XBMC will still output everything at a set resolution.

No way for users to use hardware scaling currently. The option was devised and ready to be tested, but due to conflict looks to be fading away.
(2013-04-02, 14:15)Ghostdivision Wrote:
(2013-04-02, 02:57)Tuxon86 Wrote: With nvidia and amd gpu, you can overide the application scalling and processing via the control pannel and use your gpu functionality. Have you tried those?

I dont know enough about pc settings, but that wont solve the issue. XBMC will still output everything at a set resolution.

No way for users to use hardware scaling currently. The option was devised and ready to be tested, but due to conflict looks to be fading away.

Where is the discussion on this option? Hopefully we can breath life back into it!?
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=64139&page=11
I had been using the internal XBMC player but recently switched over to MPC-HC with LAV filters/ffdshow post processing. I use ffdshow to resize to 1080p, Lanczos4 with 1.0 Luma sharpen and the picture looks really good. Better than what I was getting in XBMC, even on 1080p content. I tried using DSPlayer but there are just too many quirks with it right now.

It's too bad that some of this stuff couldn't be incorporated into native XBMC. Maybe some day.
(2013-12-20, 09:55)StinDaWg Wrote: I had been using the internal XBMC player but recently switched over to MPC-HC with LAV filters/ffdshow post processing. I use ffdshow to resize to 1080p, Lanczos4 with 1.0 Luma sharpen and the picture looks really good. Better than what I was getting in XBMC, even on 1080p content. I tried using DSPlayer but there are just too many quirks with it right now.

Can you post (or point to the info) how you do this, seamlessly?
I don't have problems with DSPlayer though.
(2013-12-21, 06:48)oldpoem Wrote: I don't have problems with DSPlayer though.
I was having a hard time figuring out how to set the filters for everything up. I read the DSPlayer forum thread and wiki, but I still don't quite understand how to make it all work. All I want to use is LAV video, LAV audio, LAV splitter, xy-VSFilter, and ffdshow raw post-processing. Is there a guide for dummies somewhere?

The other problem I had when using it, is there was no way to tab out of fullscreen while a video was playing. Normally hitting the Windows key or Ctrl+D will take you to the desktop, but no matter what I tried I couldn't get out of exclusive mode while a video was playing in fullscreen. Is this just the way it works?

(2013-12-20, 23:53)Livin Wrote:
(2013-12-20, 09:55)StinDaWg Wrote: I had been using the internal XBMC player but recently switched over to MPC-HC with LAV filters/ffdshow post processing. I use ffdshow to resize to 1080p, Lanczos4 with 1.0 Luma sharpen and the picture looks really good. Better than what I was getting in XBMC, even on 1080p content. I tried using DSPlayer but there are just too many quirks with it right now.

Can you post (or point to the info) how you do this, seamlessly?
I just set up MPC-HC as an external player using playercorefactory. LAV filters come built into MPC-HC now so you don't need to download anything else.
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=External_players

LAV video is set to DXVA copy-back, add ffdshow in external filters, set to prefer. In ffdshow set resize to 1920x, Lanczos4 or Spline depending on if your cpu can handle it, Luma sharpen 0.5-1.0. I've noticed MPC-HC needs to be using less than 70% cpu or you will get dropped frames, so just play around with it and pick the best scaler you can do. Even my really old Athlon BE-2300 (935 passmark) can do Lanczos4 but stutters on Spline. That's all you really need to set it up. I don't mess with any of the other filters or post-processing.

The nice thing about ffdshow is that it uses all cpu, so you don't need a high powered graphics card like you do for madVR to run high settings. Pretty much any cpu with a 2000+ passmark should be able to run ffdshow at the highest scaling quality without any issues.
I've since upgraded my graphics card to a 7770 and don't use ffdshow anymore for upscaling. I now use:

MPC-HC
madVR
Jinc3 AR chroma+Jinc3 AR luma upscale
debanding low/high to fade
LumaSharpen shader post resize

The picture quality is amazing. The only thing I can't do is nnedi image doubling as it is too taxing on my card. I honestly feel bad for people still using the internal XBMC player since they don't know what they're missing.
(2014-03-08, 11:02)StinDaWg Wrote: I've since upgraded my graphics card to a 7770 and don't use ffdshow anymore for upscaling. I now use:

MPC-HC
madVR
Jinc3 AR chroma+Jinc3 AR luma upscale
debanding low/high to fade
LumaSharpen shader post resize

The picture quality is amazing. The only thing I can't do is nnedi image doubling as it is too taxing on my card. I honestly feel bad for people still using the internal XBMC player since they don't know what they're missing.

how to know what features/settings to run based on the power of the video card? I run 7400M (laptop) card.
You need a decent mid level card like a 7750 to be able to use madVR to its full potential.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best Upscaler?0