Best Upscaler?
Hi guys, i'm making the jump from watching movies on my PS3, to watching them on my laptop with XBMC. Ps3 was famous for having one of the best built-in functionality for media upscaling. Can you help me decide the best algorithm for upscaling media to HD? Has anyone had any experience with this concept?
Video cards will do this inherently. However, I think you are looking for a true resolution enhancement.

XBMC does not support this internally. You can use an external video player along with scripts (like AVIsynth) to do what you are looking for. AVSForums.com has a lot of info on stuff like this, but I know for real improvement it requires a very speedy CPU as everything is handled in software.
I'm using an external player on XBMC anyway so that's not a problem?

Have you tried any good software upscaler filter? IS there anyway to get more info on this? I want to get the best results possible on upscaling low resolution media.
ffdshow-tryout is popular.

Search for resize ffdshow on AVSForum for example and you can read for a couple of hours...
IMHO,
MPC-HC with MadVR Video renderer, and LAV Filters
If we could get the developer and xbmc heads to agree on the native resolution output sitting in wait we could use hardware as well. My pioneer avr has a marvel qdeo scaler same video processing used in oppo's bluray players, but i cant take advantage of it currently.
Thanx guys but i want something that takes over and and runs unattended. I've heard of ffdshow, avisynth, renderers, shaders etc, but these require you to tweak them from every source, and i dont have the patience to study video processing and the time to implement it each time. On the PS3, it took over automatically, and it had very good results. Isnt there something for PCs as well, that analyzes content and applies best settings based on content occassion?
Quote:MPC-HC with MadVR Video renderer, and LAV Filters

I second what vmstek said above... takes over and runs unattended, with no tweaking unless you really really want to. Analyzes content and applies best settings based on content.

I did the ffdshow, avisynth routine for years, with poorer results than I get now with MadVR.
Ok any god guide to apply MadVR? Does it need good hardware? Cause i tried the shaders on MPC and it dropped some frames on 720p files.
(2013-03-29, 21:39)therock003 Wrote: Ok any god guide to apply MadVR? Does it need good hardware? Cause i tried the shaders on MPC and it dropped some frames on 720p files.

Very simple guide http://www.avsforum.com/t/1357375/advanc...etup-guide
I don't think you actually have to so anything else for the up-scaling (someone correct me if I'm wrong), unless you want to tweak stuff and you know what you are doing.

This obviously works only with the external player approach (http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=External_players). You cannot apply madVR to XBMC without an external player. MPC-HC is the best in this case.

My playercorefactory.xml file:

Code:
<playercorefactory>
<players>
   <player name="MPC-HC" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
     <filename>C:\Program Files (x86)\MPC-HC\mpc-hc.exe</filename>
     <args>"{1}" /fullscreen /close</args>
     <hidexbmc>false</hidexbmc>
     <hideconsole>false</hideconsole>
     <warpcursor>none</warpcursor>
   </player>
</players>
<rules action="prepend">
   <rule filetypes="mkv" player="MPC-HC"/>
</rules>
</playercorefactory>
Personally I have all the Internal filters disabled, source and transform. But I output only to an AVR over HDMI.
Hitting the "O" key brings up the options.
You may also want to set up the Fullscreen options and the Autochange.
Autochange will convert the video frequency to match your monitor, eliminating studder in the picture.
Mine is set like this...

You click on the Display mode for each line (fps) and a dropdown list appears from which you can select the best mode for your monitor.

I found you need to launch MPC as Administrator for these changes to take hold.
(2013-03-29, 22:25)phunqe Wrote:
(2013-03-29, 21:39)therock003 Wrote: Ok any god guide to apply MadVR? Does it need good hardware? Cause i tried the shaders on MPC and it dropped some frames on 720p files.

Very simple guide http://www.avsforum.com/t/1357375/advanc...etup-guide
I don't think you actually have to so anything else for the up-scaling (someone correct me if I'm wrong), unless you want to tweak stuff and you know what you are doing.

This obviously works only with the external player approach (http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=External_players). You cannot apply madVR to XBMC without an external player. MPC-HC is the best in this case.

My playercorefactory.xml file:

Code:
<playercorefactory>
<players>
   <player name="MPC-HC" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
     <filename>C:\Program Files (x86)\MPC-HC\mpc-hc.exe</filename>
     <args>"{1}" /fullscreen /close</args>
     <hidexbmc>false</hidexbmc>
     <hideconsole>false</hideconsole>
     <warpcursor>none</warpcursor>
   </player>
</players>
<rules action="prepend">
   <rule filetypes="mkv" player="MPC-HC"/>
</rules>
</playercorefactory>

I've already added the external player, but i try following the guide, and i cannot get madVR to work. IT still shows as unavailable. I am on Win8 x64, with x64 version of mpc. Does it only work on 32bit system with 32bir apps?
Guys I am not an expert by any means in this area and wanted to ask anyway. When we use the external player option does XBMC minimize and open the external player or does it use the external player and plays within xbmc? If it opens in an external window then would it be able to remember the progress of the movie? If I pause does xbmc know where I stopped and resume back?

Thanks
Intel® Quad Core i5 Sandybridge @3.40GHz | ASRock Z775 Mobo 8GB DDR3 Ram | Logitech K400 Keyboard |
| Logitec Harmony 550 Remote| 46' Samsung LCD TV | Onkyo TX-S605 w/ Bose 5.1 Surround
It opens an external window. No it does not communicate with the external player. The external player must have an option to remember video position. For example in mpc that i'm using there's an option to remember file position, so when you play a file that you had previously stopped, it will automatically resume from last point.
ok thanks for the clarification.
Intel® Quad Core i5 Sandybridge @3.40GHz | ASRock Z775 Mobo 8GB DDR3 Ram | Logitech K400 Keyboard |
| Logitec Harmony 550 Remote| 46' Samsung LCD TV | Onkyo TX-S605 w/ Bose 5.1 Surround

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best Upscaler?0