Skinning... Taking one thing from one
hi,

i installed the orbs skin on my xbmc (latest buid) but i dont like the general layout of the skin or the colour scheme, well prefer that of project mayhem iii. but there is one tweek i like in the orbs and that is the icons in my programs, my music, my videos and my pictures... the xbox dvd case, poloroid, cd case etc backgrounds to the icons.

what i want to do is take this from the orbs and add it in to project mayhem iii but i cant for the life of me figure out how its done.

can anyone help me? references, urls, code, anything i need to look for is much appreciated. not asking anyone to do this for me as im not afraid to get in there and change some code, but i just cant find what i need to find.

cheers.
all the files are xml so you either need to edit them manually or wait until the skin editor is released.

doing some searching and reading on this forum and the online manual would answer all your questions.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
yea i tried that but i couldnt make head nor tail of the "the orbs" xml files, and nothing in the manual tells me how to put a graphic under the game icon. i presume the "underlayed" graphics on the orb are within the compressed media file in the media directory for that skin, which isnt a problem as i can easily replicate these graphics in photoshop and use my own copies... just havent a clue and cant find anything which will tell me how to put this graphic, or any graphic, under each of the game icons...

basically these are what i want my games/photos/movies/music icons to look like (for those who haven seen the orbs skin and dont know what im on about...

the game icons, default icon but on top of the dvd case.

the movie icons, if it exists the movie case is over the top of a dvd case, if not then it shows a dvd in the open case.

the music icon, if it exists the album art is over the top, if not then it has the disc in the cd case.

image thumbnail over the top of a poloroid style icon (photo has been edited Wink lol)

if anyone can either let me know what its called (its hard searching when you dont know what to call it) and any info, references to this specific thing in the xml files (if i know what code to look for i will find it), anything at all. i just think these icons look so much better and want to integrate them in to project mayhem iiis skin.
i answered on x-s forum Smile
XBMC Italian translator, Movieplayer.it scrapers developer and the old "The Orbs" skin creator.
thanks Smile now just to size and line the damn things up Image
richmr2,
when you are done can you post the results for all to share?

i can post it on the pm forum if you are not a member there.
all done now, screenshots are currently on x-s but i cant be arsed to copy & paste the post here tonight cus im shattered now. will post up tomorrow.

only done the widescreen version at the mo, need to compress the media still (my next thing to figure out, im assuming i need to compile the source of whatever that tool is called.. hey im tired i forget) and then on o the 4:3 tomorrow, rar it up, and share with those who want added funkyness in pm3.

was a good way to learn about skinning! noob for 3 days then bang, i figured it out, with the help of kotix.

first the apps...

next the photos...

movies...

and finally the music...

(i found the energy to copy & paste after all)
nice work, please share the xmls!

you can get the texture compression tool precompiled on x binz

if you cannot find it let me know and i can email it to you...
i intend on sticking the whole skin up as a rar once i compile the texture file and sort the pal resolution out (which shouldnt take long) but when i get home i'll upload the xmls i have done and share them with all.

i haven't changed the list views, i didn't see the point really as it's a list so doesn't really have the need to be as funky as the icons or big icons views.

as for the compression of the media, im stuck, although it was late when looking last night and i had someone nagging me on msn so that may be a reason why, but i couldnt seem to find the compiled tool on -my mom-. i'll have another look later though if you say its on there, very possibly just me not looking for the right thing lol.

any comments on the screenshots would be nice, pick it to pieces, i'm a perfectionist so like things to look just right, so if anyone can see anything not looking right, ratios of the textures not looking right etc please post up. i always welcome constructive comments.

one minor thing i dont like too much is the folder icon in the movies/music where i have my mp3s & videos put in folders, like artist/album for music and movies are in folders when you get to things like trilogys etc. not sure if i can change this or not though as it uses the defaultfolder.png graphic and i havent yet searched the xml to see if there is anything that refers to custom icons. thats a job for tonight too (and searching the manual today while at work lol).
all done and uploading the rar as i type (so if it doesnt find it bear with me as its probably uploading still)

all widescreen done, looks fine in 1080i, havent really checked in any others. all the 4:3 is in there now aswell but this was put together in about 30 mins so would appreciate any bugs, sizing errors, positioning errors etc being reported (and/or fixed)

can download it here (14.38mb)

just unrar it and copy the project mayhem iii funky folder in to the skins folder in your xbmc installation folder, go to settings and choose the funky skin. this is a complete new skin for the latest xbmc cvs.

enjoy!

thanks to all who helped. and watch out for more skins and tweeks coming soon.

ps if anyone edits any of the files due to positioning and sizing issues on a res i havent checked out please let me know the changes so i can update the archive.
right, sorry to bring an old topic back to life but...

i updated xbmc with the latest tech cvs build and then realised there is a built in trainer engine. that causes a slight problem with the skin as there is no trainer dialogue.

there are also numerous other skin errors which i have noticed too, sometimes the skin wont even work, sometimes it will (weird hey).

just wondering if anyone knows which skin changes were made since november when i made this skin and which files are affected? should be simple enough to update this skin as its basically pm3... but to save me a lot of time and effort i could do with someone to let me know which files changed or are new etc. if someone knows.

if anyone can help i will appreciate it.

cheers
all tags are lower case in every xml

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Skinning... Taking one thing from one0