VLC closes immediatly
I have VLC as my standard media player, however when I try to open up a mkv file on my network (a remote hdd connected to the router) I get a error saying that I can't open the file.
When I try to open the file through VLC itself it shows no errors and plays the file correctly
I hope some1 can help me out on this 1 since I've been looking for the answer for quite a while now

Regards,

Rutger
Welcome to the XBMC forums.

Which XBMC version are you using? Which PVR backend? Are you using VLC as an external player for XBMC? Which operating system?
Thnx for the reply artrafael,

Sorry for the lack of info in my original post but I really had no idea what info to give in advance.
I'm running XBMC11, I'm not using a PVR. I am using VLC(2.0.5) as a external player
My current OS is windows 7 home premium 64bit.

Once again thanks and looking forward to your reply.
You posted in the PVR Help and Support forum, that's why I asked about PVR. I'll move thread to General Help and Support.

Look in your debug log (wiki) to see why the file would not play. May be due to an error in your playercorefactory.xml or the server/share not being available at the time or a permissions issue or an encoding issue or...? Your log would have the details.
I'm looking through my log files at the moment but I'm not really sure what I should be looking for, should I paste a link to my log here or is there a more confidential way of doing so?
You can upload your log to www.xbmclogs.com and post the assigned URL here. If you have confidential information in the log, such as a password or MAC address, you can redact that and replace it with placeholder characters (e.g., xxxxxxxx) before uploading the file.
I've got the link here http://www.xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=7372

once again thnx for looking at my problem, I really have no idea what's causing it and i've been googling for a while now
You need to enable debug logging in XBMC so more diagnostic information is captured in the log.
http://www.xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=7391
This may be a dumb question (and maybe I'm missing something), but if you have XBMC installed, why are you also running VLC? XBMC runs everything VLC can.
HTPC - i3-3240 Processor | Asus P8H77-I Mobo | 8 GB PC3 12800 DDR3 | 60 GB SSD | Windows 8.1 w/ XBMC Frodo
NAS Server - Dual Xeon E5440 Quad Core | 32 GB DDR2 ECC | 4 X 2TB Western Digital RED | RAIDz | FreeNAS
It's just personal preference, I don't like the xbmc player at all.
for any1 wondering, I fixed my issue by mapping my network drive and using that path to launch my mkv files.
Hope it helps some1 Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
VLC closes immediatly0