[JUST BUILT] Slingbox Alternative HTPC
Long time PC builder, first time HTPC builder (as well as a first time poster). Tongue

The Story

In my previous setup I had a Boxee Box + A media server that it streamed from. I left it behind for the folks to use and I'm going to be setting up a solution where I currently reside. Although the combo I had before worked well, I'm looking to get a bit more flexibility by setting up a HTPC.

What pushed me to the idea is that our cable connection here is only in one room (well, split from another room that has the cable modem). It leaves us with a TV to watch when guests are around, but when people are in their rooms, they don't have the capability to watch TV. We've gotten by on Netflix subscriptions, but not utilizing our TV package seems to be a waste. My thought is to have a HTPC that can act as a Slingbox, a DVR, runs 1080p playback, can serve 1080p video over the network, can stream 1080p video from other machines in the network, 3D capable Blu-Ray playback (not currently needed, but always good to plan for), and light gaming (with the ability to expand into more moderate gaming if needed).

I read the sticky, did some research, and the following is what I came up with:

Parts
Version 2 (current choice):
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/MwiG
Case: Silverstone ML03B
CPU: Intel Core i3-3225
Mobo: Intel BOXDH77EB (doesn't have the single old PCI slot like the ASUS)
PSU: Silverstone Strider Essential 400W
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Blue 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 (LP heatspreaders)
Primary HDD: Intel 520 60GB SSD
Secondary HDD: Western Digital WD Green 2TB 3.5
Optical: LG Electronics Blu-ray Disc Combo
Wireless: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 PCI-E 1X
Tuner: Ceton InfiniTV 4

Version 1:
Link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/MrN6
Case: Silverstone ML03B
Mobo: ASUS P8H77-M CSM
RAM: G.SKILL Value 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Primary HDD: Samsung 840/830 64GB OR Intel 520 60GB SSD

Additional Notes

- I decided to go with a MicroATX just in case a video card needs to come into play in the future, with the additional positives that it can fit the Tuner and Wireless cards along with it.

- H77 chipset was chosen over Z77 for price, I don't believe I need any of the Z77's features.

- The Ceton InfiniTV 4 was chosen because of this thread: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=119865 - It looks like the HTPC can be setup like a slingbox with this method so people can watch TV from their computers/tablets in other rooms.

- The 2TB drive is so that television shows could be recorded through the Ceton InfiniTV 4 tuner. I chose the ivy i3 and 8GB of ram to make sure it has enough oomph to be recording these shows while possibly streaming to other computers (overkill?).

- The common room TV is actually an old CRT that will be replaced. Considering putting a computer monitor in place of it that has 3D support, or a new TV soon. Will just use VGA -> RCA Video adapter and an audio adapter for stereo in the meantime (understand that HDCP won't work in this scenario until things change).

- The light gaming will probably consist casual games on steam big picture mode.

- Considering an aftermarket fan and some silent exhaust fans if my budget fits it

Wrap-up/Questions

I'm looking for some feedback on if this idea is sound. Is there anything I'm going too overboard on, or do I look to be in the ballpark? I don't want to overspend on the machine, but I want to make sure it's powerful enough to handle what I'm looking for in it.

Should I be considering the AMD trinity alternative for the faster integrated GPU at a smaller price point? My only concern is sacrificing clock for clock single core performance.

And also, if you did, thank you for reading my long winded post.
After a bit more research and internal debating I ended up pulling the trigger on this:

Case: Silverstone Tek GD05B-USB3.0
Mobo: Intel BOXDH77EB
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Blue 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 (LP heatspreaders)
Primary HDD: Intel 520 60GB SSD

i3 is definitely seems more than sufficient and I always have the option to add a GPU/i5 if I need to turn it into a full fledged gaming HTPC. I'll see about posting pictures of the build if I have a camera handy that day.
Time for a check in. No pictures yet, but I'll get some soon.

BUILD NOTES

Case
  • The Silverstone Tek GD05B was pretty easy to work in. Glad I chose that over the Silverstone ML03B.
  • Stock case fans are a "little" loud. By a little, I mean I hear a little moving air when the living room is silent. Not really a problem.
  • Power light is bright enough to be seen, but dim enough to not be annoying in a dark room.

CPU/Cooler
  • I went with the Geminii M4 CPU Cooler. VERY Quiet, CPU idles high end 20's - low 30s. 100% hits a max of 51. Unfortunately I noticed that if a cable falls in its path, it will stop the fan completely. Threw in a ziptie around the crossbar of the case it keep that from happening.
  • Intel Core i3-3225 is handling pushing out two high bandwidth flash streams from CetonTV server. Load is near max, but no lag as far as I've seen. Using the VLC plugin instead would reduce the load greatly.

Wireless
  • TL-WDN4800 450mbps paid with a 450mbps wireless router is handling the TV streaming just fine. I haven't tried large movies yet though.

RAM
  • As I expected, 8gb was overkill. Oh well.

So far I'm just doing test records in WMC, giving it the 4th tuner. I'm going to look for a better solution in the future. If anybody has suggestions for records that work with InfiniTV 4 and XBMC, that'd be great.
Nextpvr
Thank you bry-, I'll give that a shot tonight.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[JUST BUILT] Slingbox Alternative HTPC0