XBMC on the play store
I 'm using XBMC for a lot of years now and I am very very happy with it :-)

This week I've received mine Philips Android TV, I cannot install APK files on this TV (Philips disabled the security menu where the Unknown Sources checkbox is), the only way to use XBMC/KODI on this TV is that it is available in the play store :-(

Is it coming to the play store at short notice??
(2014-10-21, 20:04)goosjuh Wrote: I 'm using XBMC for a lot of years now and I am very very happy with it :-)

This week I've received mine Philips Android TV, I cannot install APK files on this TV (Philips disabled the security menu where the Unknown Sources checkbox is), the only way to use XBMC/KODI on this TV is that it is available in the play store :-(

Hi
Have you tried this version of xbmc

T-J@Y
(2014-10-21, 20:23)tjay78 Wrote:
(2014-10-21, 20:04)goosjuh Wrote: I 'm using XBMC for a lot of years now and I am very very happy with it :-)

Hi
Have you tried this version of xbmc

T-J@Y

Hello T-J@Y,

Thx for your answer, this version isn't compatible with the tv (PHILIPS AND1E)
then our version isn't as well
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2014-10-21, 20:47)Martijn Wrote: then our version isn't as well

Who determines which apps are compatible for witch device, the app developer or hardware manufacturer? This TV model isn't long on the market yet.
This version is not compatible because touch screen is a requirement.
Sorry for my english, but, you know, I'm French so ...

Main HTPC : Odroid-C2 running CoreELEC with Titan Bingie
Secondary HTPC : Freebox Mini 4K running Android TV with Titan Bingie

I wonder if they are allowed to do that. And if they do I have a feeling that any GPL licensed program must put them on the blacklist, since it is questionable for gpl apps to only be installable by a store. This is one of the problems FSF has with apple app store afaik.

Also, I would not be surprised if there are other settings app out on play store which has all settings, allowing you to get back that unknown sources checkbox.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
At least for GPL v3. Looks like there are some GPLv3 apps on Google Play. Not sure who's responsibility that falls under as for making sure those apps can't be installed, if it's the user, google, or Philips.
The argument FSF puts forth about the Apple app store applies to ALL app stores including Google Play. All of them impose some type of additional terms. FSF has chosen to apply their argument only to the Apple app store and ignore the others. Sooner or later someone with the appropriate amount of resources will challenge and defeat the FSF argument as you can't pick and choose your favorite walled garden over some other. It's all or none and Google has too much invested in Android to back away now.
Note that, in this instance, the problem is with Philips not allowing sideloading. Nothing to do with Google app store, nor android in general, which always allowed it.
(2014-10-22, 01:09)MeatGrinder Wrote: The argument FSF puts forth about the Apple app store applies to ALL app stores including Google Play. All of them impose some type of additional terms. FSF has chosen to apply their argument only to the Apple app store and ignore the others. Sooner or later someone with the appropriate amount of resources will challenge and defeat the FSF argument as you can't pick and choose your favorite walled garden over some other. It's all or none and Google has too much invested in Android to back away now.

In the grand scheme of things its never been a problem with google play since your able to install the apk without any hacks or whatever through Android. I'm no layer, but afaik this has been enough. As you are then not bound by the walled garden or the additional terms.

(2014-10-21, 22:38)Ned Scott Wrote: At least for GPL v3. Looks like there are some GPLv3 apps on Google Play. Not sure who's responsibility that falls under as for making sure those apps can't be installed, if it's the user, google, or Philips.

Fairly certain that this is not limited to GPLv3, what is added there is more about signing.

I wonder if its possible to install the apk through apt, but if they have removed the security settings perhaps you can't set it to be in debug mode Tongue

I think someone should contact both Google and Philips, might be valid to contact FSF too.

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
(2014-10-21, 21:17)mikebzh44 Wrote: This version is not compatible because touch screen is a requirement.
Anyway for Team Kodi in the apps manifest declarations to declare in required features that touchscreen is only optional, not required?

http://developer.android.com/guide/topic...ement.html

Same with GAMEPAD (game controllers) now to for Lollipop, it is only optional for this APK as a nice to have, not required.

Or do they just need to remove TOUCHSCREEN and GAMEPAD in the <uses-feature> element?
In the grand scheme of things, most Android devices are not rooted. If you are not rooted in Android, then you must install via Google Play. Side-loading is not permitted. You need to jailbreak them (just like Apple iphones) to open them up and get su. Once you do that, you have circumvented the walled garden through user action. The point remains, if there is even one Android device that only allows user install via Google Play, then that involves additional terms. There are millions and millions of locked down Android devices, a phone carrier would be an idiot to deploy them rooted or allow a user to install any apk they choose. That defeats the whole purpose of Google Play.
Oooooor you allow unsafe installs on a non root device and download the apk and installs.....

Average Joe does not know most probably and does not care. What's not in the play store, doesn't exist.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC on the play store1