XBMC on the play store
(2014-10-22, 20:25)MeatGrinder Wrote: If you are not rooted in Android, then you must install via Google Play. Side-loading is not permitted.
What nonsense is that?
If anyone, you know this is just a plain false statement. Why?

Heck, even on a locked down, forked android as the Amazon fire, you can sideload with zero hack.
I'm guessing he accidentally used the wrong terminology. Strong opinions about the GPL and app stores aside, I don't think anyone is claiming that root is required for sideloading.

*shrug*
wrong thread
i just tested the spmc on an android tv device it seems to start fine still some small issue with generation of the new frames but it is already on the good way perfect! hopefully changes will get merged to kodi at the end.
Wink 
SPMC has made some changes, I can install it now on the android TV,
Tonight testing :-)

Now Kodi in the playstore and I will be very happy :-)
There is a small problem sometimes with video stuttering but could be easily solved by disabling the mediacodec acceleration. somehow in the android tv there is an exception in some cases :
V/XBMC ( 864): 13:47:12 T:1402463904 INFO: CDVDPlayerVideo - Stillframe detected, switching to forced 29.970030 fps
V/XBMC ( 864): 13:47:12 T:1402463904 ERROR: CDVDMediaCodecInfo::ReleaseOutputBuffer ExceptionOccurred render(1)
W/System.err( 864): java.lang.IllegalStateException
W/System.err( 864): at android.media.MediaCodec.releaseOutputBuffer(Native Method)
W/System.err( 864): at dalvik.system.NativeStart.run(Native Method)
V/XBMC ( 864): 13:47:12 T:1402463904 INFO: CDVDPlayerVideo - Stillframe left, switching to normal playback
V/XBMC ( 864): 13:47:12 T:1402463904 WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(video)::Get - asked for new data packet, with nothing available
V/XBMC ( 864): 13:47:13 T:1402463904 INFO: CDVDPlayerVideo - Stillframe detected, switching to forced 29.970030 fps
V/XBMC ( 864): 13:47:13 T:1402463904 ERROR: CDVDMediaCodecInfo::ReleaseOutputBuffer ExceptionOccurred render(1)
W/System.err( 864): java.lang.IllegalStateException

update : sloved on latest release Wink
(2014-10-22, 20:25)MeatGrinder Wrote: In the grand scheme of things, most Android devices are not rooted. If you are not rooted in Android, then you must install via Google Play. Side-loading is not permitted. You need to jailbreak them (just like Apple iphones) to open them up and get su. Once you do that, you have circumvented the walled garden through user action. The point remains, if there is even one Android device that only allows user install via Google Play, then that involves additional terms. There are millions and millions of locked down Android devices, a phone carrier would be an idiot to deploy them rooted or allow a user to install any apk they choose. That defeats the whole purpose of Google Play.

Actually this isn't true with the exception of devices like the Kindle Fire and I guess that Philips TV almost all Android devices support sideloading without being rooted.
got root?

http://pocketnow.com/android/how-to-enab...-captivate
Other than the fact that Kodi is still only in Beta, are there any remaining showstoppers preventing Kodi from getting approved on Google Play store?

What needs to be added or changed before the team deem Kodi as an Android app ready for submission and publishing when the Beta phase is done?

Are there only small things missing like icons and screenshots or the Google Play stores, or are many low or high level code changed needed too?

Is there a TO-DO list available for readying Kodi for Google Play store publishing?

And is there an TO-DO list for readying Kodi for Amazon AppStore too maybe?

Also wondering if there is anything non-developers the community can do to help other then simple testing and reporting bugs?
The team knows what the reason is for not submitting and the outside world cannot help in this regard except Google.
Until there's a more clear answer from their side we will postpone submitting.

Other than that you can just manual install it and use it and report bugs/problems.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
The Google play store doesn't actually have any kind of approval process that being said if you violate the policies in the play store agreement your app can be taken down until the issue is fixed and if it's bad enough the account could be banned. I wonder what the issue is. I've heard previously it was because of licensing on specific open source codecs that Kodi uses to support Dolby digital but I've also heard that VLC and a few other apps already in they play store include these without issue. Anyways I really hope Kodi is able to resolve whatever the remaining issues are by the end up the year and get it up on the play store. Anyways good luck 😀
(2014-11-12, 11:49)Link_of_Hyrule Wrote: The Google play store doesn't actually have any kind of approval process that being said if you violate the policies in the play store agreement your app can be taken down until the issue is fixed and if it's bad enough the account could be banned. I wonder what the issue is. I've heard previously it was because of licensing on specific open source codecs that Kodi uses to support Dolby digital but I've also heard that VLC and a few other apps already in they play store include these without issue. Anyways I really hope Kodi is able to resolve whatever the remaining issues are by the end up the year and get it up on the play store.
Not sure if that codec licensing for audio software decoding is really what Martijnis is referring to here as being one of the main reasons for postponing app store submission to Google Play?

But yes what I know what you said regarding audio software decoding and licensing is true, and it is true for both Android and iOS app stores

http://www.iphonelife.com/blog/87/ios-mu...ckup-updat
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthre...?t=1831111

Many if not most video players for Android and iOS have removed any integrated DTS and Dolby Digital (AC-3/A52/MLP) software decoders in their apps for the Google Play store and Apple App Store. Some of those players for Android have however worked around that restriction by allowing the users to them self install external AC3 and DTS codec plug-ins (addons in XBMC terminology).

Kodi will have binary codecs of audio encoders, but not yet for audio or video decoders, so those can't yet be an addon for XBMC that the user could just install themselves. Perhaps if and when Kodi can supports binary codecs of audio and video decoders then such could be added as in-app purchases that are just used to pay for the licensed use in Kodi on Android?

That concept is not entity new for XBMC as you indirectly have to purchase license keys to enable hardare video decode of MPEG-2 and VC-1 on Raspberry Pi, even though the hardware itself supports decoding of those from the factory. Though it would probably be huge hassle though for the XBMC Foundation to negotiate a deal and price with DTS and Dolby Digital for licensing.

Anyway, I through that the main issue was that they could not use the name "XBMC" on the Android app store, which is why they are rebranding to Kodi
The codec licensing of the rbpi is completely unrelated to XBMC/Kodi. Just wanted to clear that up (those codecs can be used by whatever software you want once they are purchased...).
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
For the record, the rpi can also do H/W decoding of DTS, but DTS just never agreed to the same scheme as for MPEG2/VC1.
Dolby & DTS are well known to just refuse licensing...
So now that Kodi 14 is released with the full name change is it any more likely we'll be seeing it on the Play Store?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC on the play store1