Audio inactive/drops
I'm sure there's an easy fix for this, but I haven't been able to find it:

I'm using OpenELEC, but I'm pretty sure this is an XBMC issue, since I had the same issue using XBMCBuntu (as far as I can remember, had other issues with XBMCBuntu which made me switch to openelec) - I'm not exactly sure if that's true, so forgive me if this should have been posted on the openelec forums.

Basically I have no menu sound; there's a delay between when a sound is triggered and my receiver playing it, so I'm never able to hear the "click" when browsing the menu. On the other hand, I can hear some of the longer menu sounds (ie. the back and notification sound), but only the last part of it.
I can live with only hearing random menu sounds, but unfortunately the problem can also cause issues when playing back audio normally: if there's a silence in the audio, my amp will apparently become "inactive" hence missing the first few milliseconds of the next sound being played. An example of this is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wTLjEqj5Xk at 3:40: some bit music is played which just sounds odd, to say the least, on my setup.

I can fix this by enabling "Output stereo to all speakers": my amp switches to Direct mode and all sounds can now be heard. Unfortunately, in Direct mode it isn't possible to change the surround mode (duh!), which I need.

Is there a way to make XBMC actively transmit nothing, so my amp won't lose the connection?
On a side note, I've noticed my amp randomly switch audio mode for a second, which should only occur if a sound is being transmitted, but XBMC is idle.

It's not easy to describe this so it's even harder to google!

Running OpenELEC on an Asus EeeBox EB1501P (ION) over HDMI. Using Windows everything works as expected.
Code:
<advancedsettings>
<audio>
<streamsilence>1</streamsilence>
</audio>
</advancedsettings>

put this to /storage/.xbmc/userdata/advancedsettings.xml

You might have to create that file.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Almost thought "that easy, huh?", but it didn't change anything I'm afraid...

One thing I don't get is that using my example above, even though there might be som small silence in the audio (which it actually doesn't sound like there is), as far as XBMC's concerned, audio is still playing, so why does my receiver lose the connection? Kinda implies the amp is at fault, but I have no issues on other OSes (well, on Windows).
It could also be the powersave mode of the sound card. check the intel module parameters power_save_controller and power_save

Code:
sudo -s echo "options snd-hda-intel power_save=0 power_save_controller=N" > /etc/modprobe.d/no-powersave-audio.conf
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Audio inactive/drops0