Streaming to multiple pc's
Hey guys, this might have been posted but there are really alot of threads and I can not seam to find one that fully relates to what I want to do, if you guys know of a thread that will help me please link it and delete or lock this thread.

I want to use old pc parts I have on my work bench to build a pc for streaming all my 1080p movies to multiple pc's in the house through a wired lan connection and a gigabit switch. What will the bare minimum specs be for running up to 10 hard drives and being able to stream up to 5 X 1080p mkv movies with bitrates up to 20MB/s per movie whether from the same hard drive or separate hard drives simultaneously to different pc's without buffering or any other issues etc...
The pc itself will not be playing any movies itself and will be running xbmc so that you can just click on the movie from any of the other pc's and it would just stream to it.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Cre8ve
Almost any pc will do that, but you need to concentrate on io speed [ie a decent sata controller and a good ethernet device]. I assume you will be using linux?
Will linux handle this the best? The board will be using sata2 and I might add a descent sata card for more drives, switch that will be used is a dlink gigabit switch. Cpu's are round 3GHz mark intel chips single core mostly and bout 2GB-8GB memmory.
Linux handles server tasks with one hand tied behind it's back.

It's the ethernet card in the server that has to have good sustained throughput. That, with sata2 should be fine.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
So the cpu and ram I have listed will do the job fine as long as the network card. sata controller and hard drives can handle it, also which linux would be best suited for this as I was thinking of running something like freenas or similar from a usb stick and being able to back up the stick to another in order to just swop it out and keep running if one usb stick dies or crashes on me without having to add and setup much of anything again?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Streaming to multiple pc's0