Linux Flac over DLNA problem with XBMC Frodo 12.0.1
For the past year I've been running XBMC 10.0-0.5+1 on Debian Squeeze to stream music in FLAC, Ogg Vorbis and MP3 via DLNA/uPnP to a Western Digitial WD TV Live box connected to my home theatre system. (10.0-0.5+1 is the version of the package in debian-multimedia) This worked perfectly. Recently I got hold of a newer computer and decided to set it up with a newer XBMC. I put Fedora 18 on it, then installed XBMC 12.0.1 from RPMFusion (xbmc-12.0-1.fc18.x86_64). I copied my music and movie files from the old computer to the new, then set the WD TV to connect to this new box. However, while Ogg Vorbis and MP3 music files work great, FLAC files don't play at all. About 90% of my music is in FLAC so this is a problem for me. Movie files all play correctly.

XBMC can play the FLAC files directly on the Fedora box. I can stream the FLAC files via DLNA to VLC 2.0.5 (also from RPMFusion) and they play fine in it. My WD TV live, however, with the latest firmware (1.15.10), will not play them when streamed from XBMC on Fedora via DLNA. It will only play them when streamed from XBMC 10.0-0.5+1 on Debian. Both Fedora and Debian are x86_64.

The WD TV sees all the albums, the artists, the art work, and everything like that. I tell it to play, however, and no sound comes out. The progress bar for the song moves, but it will stop at some random point in the song and skip to the next one, where the progress bar again moves, then skips, and so on.

Some information on a FLAC file that is showing the problem:

Code:
$ file 01\ -\ Vicarious.flac
01 - Vicarious.flac: FLAC audio bitstream data, 16 bit, stereo, 44.1 kHz, 18816588 samples

It seems like either XBMC or the underlying FLAC libraries are decoding the FLAC files differently on Fedora and are thus presenting different data over DLNA.

Debug log is here: http://pastebin.com/ufc6yQcc

This shows the log from XBMC startup to an attempt to play a song, Tool's Vicarious, which is in FLAC format. The log shows no error or anything that indicates a problem.

So, after all this, is anyone else having this problem? Are there workarounds? Does it indicate a problem in the underlying FLAC or FFMPEG libraries?
BUMP!

I'm new to XBMC and am basically having the same problem - when attempting to play flac music on my WDTV Live via XBMC I get silence! As above the song info is all there but there's just no sound. If I play the music direct

If anyone can shed any light it would be much appreciated.
OK, after more research I am 99% convinced the problem lies with the WDTV Live. WDTV can play flac off a share, but evidently can't handle it from a media server for some reason.
You use a special xbmc version done by Fedora and not by us. Fedorad pulled out all internal libs, including ffmpeg. Please install a mainline version and report back with those logfiles.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Flac over DLNA problem with XBMC Frodo 12.0.10