Cinavia and XBMC
(2013-04-03, 02:46)Ned Scott Wrote: What you're saying is what the studios actually believe; that DRM has any significant impact on piracy at all. It doesn't. Joe six pack doesn't have to be a master DRM cracker, he just has to get an easy copy of the movie that someone else already made. The avarage pirate doesnt rip content, they just download it. For the common man, piracy is still easy. Some people pirate only because it's easier to access the content that way, and would otherwise be willing to pay for it.

This is why iTunes and other per-song music stores took off and became successful. They made buying music easier than pirating it. It's also DRM free.

At best, Cinevia stops bootleggers who attempt to sell fake bluray discs as if they were real retail discs. That's about it.

For everyone else, it's a misguided attempt that has no real results. It has no realistic impact on piracy, but it does end up punishing the honest customers with crappy restrictions.

And that is why it is working. Joe six pack doesn't automatically know someone who has acces to ripped movies. You are only seeing the world via your own viewpoint. Since you are one of the elite and all around you are part of that group you come to the conclusion that everybody has access to what you got. Well no. Even today MOST people don't copy or rip media. Most people don't even care in having a movie or a music library at home be it on a server, an htpc or in physical form. We care but they don't. And of the few who like to own their favorite movies, they BUY the disc so they don't have to fiddle with codecs, format and other technical mumbo jumbo...<

(2013-04-03, 02:58)nickr Wrote: I live in NZ. We are usually way behind ther rest of the world in TV episodes.

This season of Game of Thrones however is playing less than 24 hours after the US broadcast. Part of the reason is to reduce piracy - the reasoning being that if people can see it on their own TV station [1], they won't need to pirate it. This is apparently a worldwide thing with GoT. Everywhere is getting it soon after the initial showing.

Still doesn't stop there being 6,000 odd people on one torrent alone that I saw for the season opener!

Nor headlines like this http://www.throng.co.nz/2013/04/piracy-r...on-opener/ (which makes the torrent stats I saw look tiny!)

The thing is, people will share. Cinavia will be got around.

[1] Of course it doesn't help that it is shown on Pay TV here in NZ, so not available to everyone.

A whole 6,000... A drop in the ocean then.
Yes in time Cinavia will get circumvented but it will have played its role by then and another system will replace it. Hell, circumventing DRM is part of the game!

WARNING: I'm not advocating for DRM. Hell, I have a 24Tb HTPC and I'm ripping DVD as I type this. But I understand the rationnal and the business side of it. I may not like it, just as you do, but I learned to live with it.
Nod
Thanks everybody for all the input. The biggest problem I have with Cinavia is that it is a destructive DRM (providing I understood what I read about it). Audio engineers, editors, mixers, recordists, etc. must love having their hard work degraded for the sake of DRM.
Actually the HBO programming president has a very interesting (and fair) view on piracy of Game of Thrones

* Piracy comes with the territory of creating a very popular show
* Piracy did not negatively impact the sale of DVDs
* He worries that illegal viewers will not see the show in the great resolution it was designed to be viewed in
* He understands that people want to watch it when it is available, which is why they offered it all over the world at the same time
* HBO is contemplating offering a digital-only subscription, to cope with younger people 'cutting the cord'

Read all about it here: http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/03/31/hbo-thrones-piracy/
(2013-04-02, 20:49)Tuxon86 Wrote: If people would just rent & rip and not rent, rip and share, cinavia wouldn't be a problem today.
Sorry, but that's ricidulous. The industry has proven time and again that they want people to pay per use and that they absolutely HATE fair use. So even if there'd be no BT releases they would still want people not to be able to rip their stuff just like they sued Diamond back in the day for selling the RIO.
Quote:Joe six pack doesn't automatically know someone who has acces to ripped movies.
He doesn't need to know them personally. He only has to visit the same website and click on a link.
Image [RELEASE] Metroid
Image [RELEASE] IrcChat
Joe six pack usually seems to watch pirated movies/tv in some web site's poxy flash player, rather than getting a 1080p/720p copy off a decent torrent tracker.

In fact I have heard some people say that watching it in flash uses less bandwidth because they ar not "downloading". D'oh.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-04-10, 09:05)Kibje Wrote: Actually the HBO programming president has a very interesting (and fair) view on piracy of Game of Thrones

* Piracy comes with the territory of creating a very popular show
* Piracy did not negatively impact the sale of DVDs
* He worries that illegal viewers will not see the show in the great resolution it was designed to be viewed in
* He understands that people want to watch it when it is available, which is why they offered it all over the world at the same time
* HBO is contemplating offering a digital-only subscription, to cope with younger people 'cutting the cord'

Read all about it here: http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/03/31/hbo-thrones-piracy/

I wish this was true, give me a link so I can easily register and watch (without the use of vpn, I'm not from the US) and I would gladly pay for my favorite show.
First hit on google was http://www.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/index.html that's a crappy flash site, sorry I refuse to install this horrible sh*t of software on my laptop.
Tried from another machine which got flash and surprise, surprise HBO-GO only for the US.
This means that to legally watch this show I've got to pay 80$+ per month for a crappy sattelite provider to enjoy large number of crappy channels and crappy content with horrible bitrate (and they call it hd, yeh right), sorry I refuse to do that, and never will.
For me the easiest and the only viable solution is to go to tpb, and get the content I want to watch, when I want.
Here in Sweden all episodes from HBO are available with subtitles a couple of hours after they are aired in the US and yet people are wining about that you have to sign up for a 12 month subscriptionr and pay $13 a month or just pay $20 a month without subscription...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cinavia and XBMC0