Got a Pi, want Netflix - do I need to get a Roku?
Hi,

I recently switched my xbmc-install over from my PC (which isn't build to be a HTPC) to a Raspberry Pi because I wanted a less-hassle solution. Running raspbmc, I can now easily watch all my local content and stream a few channels and the PC can now be used at the same time for something else.

But I still need to integrate Netflix into the setup - the Pi doesn't play Netflix, and using my PC for that is out of the question (no remote, it's in the next room, can't work on it while other person watches Netlix etc.).

Now I wonder what would be the best solution. I have two options in mind and would like to get your input to clarify a few things.

1. Get a Roku for online streaming, keep XBMC for local files - my current favourite, but it would mean two systems running parallel, which kinda beats the "one system to rule them all" approach which I hoped for.
  2. Ditch the Pi and get an Apple TV, jailbreak it and install XBMC on it - I'm not sure if this would allow me to use Netflix seamlessly, last time I checked, Netflix support in XBMC on Windows was less than optimal. I also know nothing else about the XBMC-on-Apple-TV setup and it's drawbacks.

Can you folks give me a few hints what would be the best solution? I don't want to spend a lot of money (getting a HTPC or PS3 is out of the question)...
I would wait two months for an ouya. 99 dollars and it can run xbmc and netflix. I think the pivos xios can run netflix also. You could recycle your pi as a file server.
For a proper Netflix experience you'll need another dedicated device, and the Roku ain't bad. Especially if someone with an HBO subscription lets you ride on their HBO GO login. You can also buy playon for your PC, which integrates into XBMC better, but it's SD only, and a bit pokey the last time I tried it. Playon costs almost as much as a roku LT, but I believe they have a free trial so you can explore that option before buying anything. Ideally, Netflix would support Linux or XBMC natively, but I fear that'll only happen when Hell freezes over.
Thanks for your input!

I thought about the Ouya as well, but I'm not sure if the Netflix experience on it will be all too good, same goes for the Pivos. I don't think the Netflix integration in Android is fit for a proper media center.

PlayOn might be a good idea, but I don't want to include my current PC in the media-center setup and SD-quality is out of the question as well.

Can anyone shed some light on the viability of an Apple-TV setup?
Maybe go with Rasplex, since you can run the Plex server from your Computer, and Pi can handle the non-local stuff. I like PlayOn, but it's regularly $80 for a lifetime membership, and Plex has just gotten better enough to work around it. Plex is free, lest you splurge on the $5 a month or $40 lifetime PlexPass, which gets you beta builds of server and clients, the shweet Web Client, and access to the priority boards. But Plex in and of itself is pretty rad.

As far as an Apple TV, if you live in the Apple World, it's great, but good luck trying to do everything you could want to do with it, as a consiquence of it just working is that, it doesn't work all that well when you want to go offroad.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Got a Pi, want Netflix - do I need to get a Roku?0