Netflix, Amazon, HBO GO 1080/5.1 support
I am having a tough time finding an exact answer

Can a HTPC setup running XBMC stream netflix, amazon, and hbo go in 1080/5.1? If yes, how? If not, can any HTPC setup do it?

I'm close to pulling the trigger on building a HTPC, but want to make sure it can be my one-stop-shop.

My streaming requirements are

1080p/dts (some hd) MKV files
Netlflix HD
Amazon Prime HD
HBO Go (can live w/o it if need be) - My provider is directv and comcast (can use parents acct). Worst case scenario, maybe I can steal a friends Verizon fios acct
For sure, HTPC can stream Netlix/Amazon HD and playback MKV files. If it is recorded Diectv file, HTPC can playback the file using Directv2pc option. To do Netflix, Amazon and Direct2pc, I preferred 7MCE option. XBMC can handles MKV files with ease.....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2013-04-01, 18:06)bluray Wrote: For sure, HTPC can stream Netlix/Amazon HD and playback MKV files. If it is recorded Diectv file, HTPC can playback the file using Directv2pc option. To do Netflix, Amazon and Direct2pc, I preferred 7MCE option. XBMC can handles MKV files with ease.....

For Amazon and Netflix, is it an app that runs or do I have to go through a browser? I'm really looking for a simple setup.

The xbox 360 would be the answer but the UI is too damn clunky but perhaps WMC box (to transcode mkv containers)+Xbox 360 would do the trick? But I guess the whole point is to get away from transcoding except when feeding the roku in the bedroom
Below are some screenshots of Netlix on 7MCE-

I hardly transcode any file other than some of my boys movies. Most of my files are ISO 1:1 ripped.....

Nice. What about amazon and hbo? Is there support for those apps/plug-ins?
For Amazon, you need to do this- Amazon Video On Demand and Windows Media Center (how to)

For HBO on Directv, you can do this- Setup is a breeze.
(2013-04-01, 22:42)bluray Wrote: For Amazon, you need to do this- Amazon Video On Demand and Windows Media Center (how to)

For HBO on Directv, you can do this- Setup is a breeze.

Well the Amazon plug-in might do the trick, but does it do 1080p..

The HBO set up only gets me shows I recorded on my DTV dvr.. better than nothing though
(2013-04-01, 23:19)jbrady3324 Wrote:
(2013-04-01, 22:42)bluray Wrote: For Amazon, you need to do this- Amazon Video On Demand and Windows Media Center (how to)

Well the Amazon plug-in might do the trick, but does it do 1080p..
Sorry, I linked the version that I used in the past. I just verified my 7MCE, and I have this "Amazon Video On Demand" plug-in now. You can simply download it, and go to Extras to launch Amazon as you can see in my screenshots below. So far; I links XBMC, Netflix, Amazon, etc to 7MCE, and it works great....I do this "post #751" to link everything to 7MCE....

Netflix:
Just a heads up, you can only get 5.1 Netflix audio in the Windows 8 Metro app. Netflix will not do 5.1 in Windows 7 MCE or any WebBrowser. The only other way to get 5.1 in Netflix is through a device. (Xbox360, PS3, etc..)

Amazon Prime HD:
You can only stream HD TV shows on a PC, All Movies are streamed SD, even in the XBMC addons, unless you have a supported device. (Xbox360,CompatableTV, etc...)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/video/ontv/devices

-Mike
(2013-04-02, 12:29)VladTepz Wrote: Netflix:
Just a heads up, you can only get 5.1 Netflix audio in the Windows 8 Metro app. Netflix will not do 5.1 in Windows 7 MCE or any WebBrowser. The only other way to get 5.1 in Netflix is through a device. (Xbox360, PS3, etc..)

Amazon Prime HD:
You can only stream HD TV shows on a PC, All Movies are streamed SD, even in the XBMC addons, unless you have a supported device. (Xbox360,CompatableTV, etc...)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/video/ontv/devices

-Mike

That is what I thought. For an HTPC set up I am limited to Windows 8 Metro and that does not support a remote within app. So I guess the only answer for me is a headless media server running plex and ps3 media server to serve roku and ps3 remuxed mkv files.
My Setup, The best solution I have found is:

Windows 8:
- MCE for LiveTV (Required for premium channels)
- Netflix Metro App (1080p & 5.1)
- HBOGO Metro app
- NextPVR (Serving LiveTV on to other XBMC installs)

Pivos XIOS:
- XBMC-Linux
- NextPVR PVR Addon
- Bluecop's Hulu Plugin

Vizio E552VL TV:
- Amazon Prime built in app. (1080P & 5.1)

I use XBMC.MyLibrary & Playon to import strms from Netflix, HBOGO, Hulu, & Amazon into my XBMC library. Hulu can be played directly from XBMC, the others I switch to depending on if it's SD or HD.

-Mike
(2013-04-02, 14:21)VladTepz Wrote: My Setup, The best solution I have found is:

Windows 8:
- MCE for LiveTV (Required for premium channels)
- Netflix Metro App (1080p & 5.1)
- HBOGO Metro app
- NextPVR (Serving LiveTV on to other XBMC installs)

Pivos XIOS:
- XBMC-Linux
- NextPVR PVR Addon
- Bluecop's Hulu Plugin

Vizio E552VL TV:
- Amazon Prime built in app. (1080P & 5.1)

I use XBMC.MyLibrary & Playon to import strms from Netflix, HBOGO, Hulu, & Amazon into my XBMC library. Hulu can be played directly from XBMC, the others I switch to depending on if it's SD or HD.

-Mike

Mike,

How do you control windows 8 metro apps? Is there a way to use a remote ( 360 controller, ipad or logitech harmony )?
(2013-04-02, 17:09)jbrady3324 Wrote: Mike,

How do you control windows 8 metro apps? Is there a way to use a remote ( 360 controller, ipad or logitech harmony )?

For the most part, my Harmony (Setup as a MCE remote) works well. (Netflix updated to allow better use of a remote)
Some apps still don't work well with a remote (Hulu*) so a wireless keyboard comes in handy.

-Mike
(2013-04-02, 17:26)VladTepz Wrote:
(2013-04-02, 17:09)jbrady3324 Wrote: Mike,

For the most part, my Harmony (Setup as a MCE remote) works well. (Netflix updated to allow better use of a remote)
Some apps still don't work well with a remote (Hulu*) so a wireless keyboard comes in handy.

-Mike

What providers work with the hbogo metro app? I have comcast (hijack parents acct) and directv?

Are there any obvious limitations to netflix remote support?
If you have Microsoft Xbox 360, you can true 5.1 surround sound from Netflix too. If I remember correctly, I have to enable Dolby Pro Logic II on my AVR to get the 5.1 surround sound on my HTPC. It is not true 5.1 surround sound, but it can be heard on all speakers......

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Netflix, Amazon, HBO GO 1080/5.1 support0