Computer freeze
Hello
I use xbmc to play recordings from pvr. Hovewer I don't use pvr plugins, I use recordings straight from filesystem. It's raw .ts format, and as such it sometimes contains errors.
Rewinding such recording can break Vlc. Playing such recordings on windows PC with Vlc causes sometimes Vlc to break, hovewer subsequently it usually works.
Xbmc hovewer acts differently. It plays brilliantly (sometimes shows compression artifacts but still works), problem shows when I'm trying to skip. Skipping forward can cause display to freeze, audio still working. Switching to console and back to GUI usually helps and refreshes video. Much worse is when I try to rewind backwards. It sometimes freezes all system! So only reboot helps. It doesn't happen during normal watching, only when I'm rewinding.
Logs doesn't say anything, I checked all of them and there is no useful info anywhere. It simple completely hangs in one moment.
I use debian, frodo 12.0 from debian repository, I have Intel g540 and use onboard gpu.
I have a problem to define where to search for what is cause of hanging.
Kernel, GUI (kde), gpu driver, xbmc, skin, plugins?
I would also want to add that rewinding like this can cause trouble: start, forward 30s, backward 5 min. Trying to rewind before start can hangs xbmc.
Sounds like 2 problems.

1. If you have that many errors in your ts streams you need to improve your recording setup. Check antenna, cabling, tuning etc.

2. Ts streams don't carry a lot of indexing. Try remuxing to ps or mkv. You don't say what codec the video is but if it is mpeg2 then project-x will help correcting errors before you remux.
The cause of errors is cable splitted for a few devices (it weakens signal). It can be fixed only by removing splitter and as such disconnecting some devices which isn't acceptable. Hovewer errors are rarely visible and I accept it.
Remuxing is time consuming but is an option. Hovewer I would like to know why not xbmc only hangs but whole computer.
Do you know Linux software like "ts doctor"?
have you tried use a signal booster? I've a 4 port signal booster from PCT and it has works well for both cable and OTA for me.
(2013-04-02, 18:04)Marx1 Wrote: The cause of errors is cable splitted for a few devices (it weakens signal). It can be fixed only by removing splitter and as such disconnecting some devices which isn't acceptable. Hovewer errors are rarely visible and I accept it.
Remuxing is time consuming but is an option. Hovewer I would like to know why not xbmc only hangs but whole computer.
Do you know Linux software like "ts doctor"?
I don't know what ts doctor is. Project-x may be similar, but as you haven't told us the codec used by your broadcaster I can't say whether it is appropriate.

Remuxing doesn't take a lot of time (please note I am not talking about re-encoding). It is easily scriptable.

But you are better to get rid of the errors.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Booster is an option, but I doubt it eliminate all errors forever, so the problem while minimized still would be present.
I use dvbs and dvbt, sd and hd so there are two codecs in use: mpeg 2 and h.264.
Yes, remuxing is fast like copying, but I would rather stay with ts - it's compatible with my pvr (mkv not) and I'm afraid of mkv is able to cover same functions (multiple different streams). So repairing software would be probably enough.

I often record multiple recordings, so even remuxing can cause trouble because of high hdd usage.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Computer freeze0